Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Turbo actuator rod issue

graemeho

On the way home from work tonight put my foot down and boost bar graph all over the place. Also car hesitant

Had a look underneath and have found near side turbo actuator rod dangling loose and not connected. Hopefully it's just popped off and the actuator itself isn't chewed up

Is it safe to drive it , assume the other turbo will just do more work as long as I drive it steady :?:

Anyone else had this happen :?:

Its fine to drive but keep the revs down a bit so it doesnt boost .. all im thinking is the loose rod might get caught up .

Better still if you can get your hand onto it .. difficult i know .. then push it back onto the ball joint or remove it .

Youll probably need a new rod .

graemeho said:
On the way home from work tonight put my foot down and boost bar graph all over the place. Also car hesitant

Had a look underneath and have found near side turbo actuator rod dangling loose and not connected. Hopefully it's just popped off and the actuator itself isn't chewed up

Is it safe to drive it , assume the other turbo will just do more work as long as I drive it steady :?:

Anyone else had this happen :?:

This happened to me about 18 months ago. Took it to my local Indy who diagnosed the issue and they popped the rod back on. A short test drive later the rod had popped off again so they were replaced on both turbos under warranty.

I drove about 80 miles (home then to the Indy the following day) with the rod popped of with no damage caused.

Just noticed your in Lincolnshire, anywhere near Holbeach?

Thanks for the advise fellas, appreciated :thumb:

My mate has a pit in his garage so going to nip round and see if I can reattach it. I'm thinking it's maybe a new rod required. Hopefully Porsche tax isn't too dear

RJW1881 said:
Just noticed your in Lincolnshire, anywhere near Holbeach?

I'm north of the county near brigg ( 1.5hrs drive from you). Shame Lincs is such a big county :eek:

graemeho said:
Thanks for the advise fellas, appreciated :thumb:

My mate has a pit in his garage so going to nip round and see if I can reattach it. I'm thinking it's maybe a new rod required. Hopefully Porsche tax isn't too dear

My OPC popped a new one on in 10 seconds flat. Mine was done under warranty but iirc it was only about £17 anyway.

Thanks Terry, that's reasonable money for a change. Thinking maybe change out both sides. I read somewhere that you have to balance them up though (assume there is some length adjustment on the rod to take into account?)

have now ordered 2 new rods from OPC Nottingham as I figured the other side is likely to be as worn. Price has gone up a bit but still not bad, £50 the pair. Hopefully have a go at fitting them at the weekend

:thumb:

Well just spent the morning wrestling with the new rods.

Looks like the drivers side rod has recently been replaced. The access to this side is decent, alas my failed rod is on the passenger side. Managed to get the old (and very corroded rod) off ok. Then for the refit with new.....

The access on this side is an absolute mare , not helped by heat shielding in the way. The heat shield could be removed , but not without part removal of the turbo oil feed manifold so that's out.

Managed to pull the electronic actuator ball mechanism down by hooking a bent welding rod around it. Then you can just about reach it.

After many many failed attempts I've now thrown the towel in. Off to my Indy next week to sort it.

Frustrated :nooo:

Passenger side one went on mine a few months ago and yes it is a 'mare' to get to.
What I did first was jack up car, wheel off, inner arch out and then you can get to the actuator. Install the top ball joint first then if you can get a friend to push the rod down and crawl underneath the car and using a slim chisel you can pop it onto the bottom ball joint. With a bit of practice you can probably do it with out taking the wheel off.
It's one of those jobs that's either minutes or hours I'm afraid.
The OPC will probably do it in 10-15 mins!

And then give them a squirt with the above mentioned grease every few thousand miles and they shouldn't give you another headache. I've been lubing mine every couple of thousand miles/year and never had an issue.

easternjets said:
Passenger side one went on mine a few months ago and yes it is a 'mare' to get to.
What I did first was jack up car, wheel off, inner arch out and then you can get to the actuator. Install the top ball joint first then if you can get a friend to push the rod down and crawl underneath the car and using a slim chisel you can pop it onto the bottom ball joint. With a bit of practice you can probably do it with out taking the wheel off.
It's one of those jobs that's either minutes or hours I'm afraid.
The OPC will probably do it in 10-15 mins!

Thanks for the advise :thumb:

Not sure I'm up for another battle with it after yesterday. Going to let my Indy do it while I drink tea and watch instead :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back