Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spark plug gapping

Scholester

Barcelona
Hi all,

I am away on hols at the moment so can't take a look in the handbook.

I will be cracking on with my Turbo when I return and wondered what the spark plug gap should be for standard Beru plugs on a standard .1 Turbo car? I am not interested in stepping outside of the recommended plugs or gap sizing.

:thumb:

Does it matter if you're not adjusting them?

alex yates said:
Does it matter if you're not adjusting them?
Are we assuming that they are perfectly gapped out of the box!?

Well I've never checked mine at it's quite tricky when they have 4 equispaced ground electrodes.

alex yates said:
Well I've never checked mine at it's quite tricky when they have 4 equispaced ground electrodes.
Ah, I see.
I was assuming single or twin electrode were standard in 2006? The silly thing is that I have already bought them but have not even checked to see what electrode type they are!
Ok, given that I have gone standard Beru for my car (ECP) is there a standard recommended gap for this original type [single electrode] plug? Sorry I can't be a little more clear on what I have as I am the other side of the world currently!

They are pre set so you just install them .

The days of adjusting generic plugs to a gap for a certain vehicle are long gone :D

Check for cracks in the ceramic and that the electrodes havent been bent by mis handleing ( yes i have seen this and even diagnosed it on a car that the mechanic that fitted them hadnt checked ) .

Other than that just fit them .. i do .

Demort said:
They are pre set so you just install them .

The days of adjusting generic plugs to a gap for a certain vehicle are long gone :D

Check for cracks in the ceramic and that the electrodes havent been bent by mis handleing ( yes i have seen this and even diagnosed it on a car that the mechanic that fitted them hadnt checked ) .

Other than that just fit them .. i do .

Many thanks chaps.

I will measure all of the plugs with my feeler gauge just to be certain that they stack up.

:thumb:

As Dermot says, check they are not damaged out of the box and stick em in! No point gaffing around with feeler gauges with multi-point plugs these days!

DucatiRob said:
As Dermot says, check they are not damaged out of the box and stick em in! No point gaffing around with feeler gauges with multi-point plugs these days!
Are OPC sticking in muti-electrode plugs? Oh how I wish I could be home to open my wee boxes.
Whatever I have - single/dual/quad - I will pop 'em in as long as they are all within a gnats chuff of each other :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back