Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Targa rear seats wet

Soondra

My Porsche 911 996 Targa (2002) has had an increasingly bad problem of wet rear seats and carpets. It got so bad that my rear left seat was permanently soaked (damaging the leather).

I searched the forums for solutions and couldn't quite work out the issue. But I think it's a common problem and (fingers crossed) I think I worked it out. I did take out a lot of carpets and panels (but I didn't need to).

The problem is a blockage (dirt and rotten leaves I think) in drainage pipe 1 (see the attached diagram). You access the pipe relatively easily by removing the loose carpeted panel at the back of the hatchback area (see photo). The pipe is just at the end of the roof rail.

If you have wet seats in your Targa and this is the cause, remove the rear carpeted panel and get someone to pour water on the roof. If the pipe is blocked, there will be quite a bit of water pouring out (it then spills over the parcel shelf, gets onto the seat area, and then spills onto the carpet).

If this is the problem, pull the pipe off the back and blow it out with a compressor. I unwisely sucked on the pipe, to find a mouthful of sludge.

Anyway, a potentially very expensive (there's a lot of electronics, leather and carpet to get damaged) problem sorted quite easily. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• img_0989_994.jpg
    img_0989_994.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,429
  • img_0479_958.jpg
    img_0479_958.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,429

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member