Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will it fit?

blackram

Hi guys - great forum for a newbie such as me.
I am in the market for a 2011/2012 991 Carrera S and am just renovating my single garage ready for the car once found. A question.....my garage at the widest part internally is 2.8m. Bearing in mind that the car at its widest is 1.808m, will I be able to get in and out of the car? How wide do the doors have to open to enable you to get in? Anyone have one in a single garage of similar proportions please? I am 5'10'' and of average build and fairly flexible! Thanks for reading. John

:welcome: to 911uk John.

That 1808mm is the width if the car excluding mirrors which on the 991 are mounted on the door itself.

Obviously there would be no problem getting the car into the garage but I fear you would have trouble getting the door open sufficiently to get in comfortably even if you parked the car really tight to the left.

The doors on a 991 are big - bigger than on my 997 - and I'd hate to put that in a 2.8m wide garage.

I hope you're a lot more flexible than me. Although that wouldn't be difficult. :eek:ld:

Good Luck.

Yes, it will fit comfortably.

My garage is 2.9m width and houses a 991.2 Carrera S easily with enough room for me to comfortably get out of the drivers side and also leave enough space to walk all around the perimeter of the car. I clean and detail the car inside the garage with no problems and, at a pinch, passenger can get out too.

If I gave up 10cm of width I would find it harder to walk all around the car but, by parking a little to the left, getting in and out would be no issue at all.

The door has three points as it opens where it notches into place and settles. My garage allows me to open the door to the second notch which allows me to get in and out without too much drama and I and mid-50's and overweight.

Thank you to you both. Sounds promising 'waitaminute' I too am mid-fifties and, if I listen to my wife's propaganda, probably a little overweight too!
What I may do is ask the local OPC (only 2 miles away) if they could drop over to my house in one and test the garage size. It will be serviced by them when I get it so in their interest to prove it will fit I guess! Unless there is anyone in the Bristol area fancies bringing their 991.1 over for a trial fit, a cuppa and a chat about what options I should look for when buying? :)

Just popped into the garage. Top photo shows the drivers door open to 2nd notch and the next photo shows the room left on the passenger side.

Attachments

• img_3701_162.jpg
    img_3701_162.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9,463
  • img_3700_745.jpg
    img_3700_745.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 9,461
A trick I did in the past when I had a single garage was to mount some carpet on the wall at the contact point where the vertical door edge meets the wall. That way you can open the door right out if you need to without worrying about the paint hitting the wall.

I have a similar arrangement in my current garage where I have a cupboard on the end wall that I drive 'under' (only by about 1 foot at most) which restricts access to the bonnet when it is opened. I bought some foam backed with adhesive off Amazon of about 1 foot square and stuck it to the bottom of the wall cupboard. When the bonnet opens the lip just lightly comes into contact with the foam. Used it for 3 years with my C4s without issue or any marks on the paint. The GTS dimensions are close enough that it is still in the right spot!

I also have a a wooden H shaped ladder frame on the floor. One of the long edges is against the end wall, I drive in until the front tyres hit the other long edge. Makes it impossible for me to ding the nose as the frame is about 1.5" tall so the front wheels cant push over them at slow speeds and you can readily feel when they come into contact.

Actually, calling it a 'frame' is a bit of an overstatement. It's a loose arrangement of wooden battens! Over the years it's been tweaked to accommodate various cars with differing gaps from the front edge of the front wheels to the bumper including an e46 Mc CSL, couple of e92 M3's, now 911's. I just replace the short battens to suit. I keep thinking I should screw the battens together, but TBH its easier to get my son to push them back into shape every once in a while before I drive in! :thumb:

I know others do things like hang balls on string that hit the window etc, but my solution has an element of protection against your foot coming off the clutch or inadvertently stabbing the throttle!

Waitaminute - that looks like plenty of room and you say that your garage width at the widest where the doors open is 2.9m? Mine is 2.8m so negligible difference (5cm for each side) so that will be no issue. Thanks for taking the trouble - very much appreciated. Lay in bed last night worrying that it wasn't going to fit!! "Darling, we may have to move house" is not an option!

Wejimmy - I will have to do a simlar thing due to lack of space. I also have a mezzanine floor above my garage which is accessed by a wooden modular staircase at the end of the garage. That is now going to be hinged and will swing up to the left hand wall out of the way. Weighs a ton so will have to be very secure to stop it swinging back when teh car is parked !! Thank you for the reply.

blackram said:
Waitaminute - that looks like plenty of room and you say that your garage width at the widest where the doors open is 2.9m? Mine is 2.8m so negligible difference (5cm for each side) so that will be no issue. Thanks for taking the trouble - very much appreciated. Lay in bed last night worrying that it wasn't going to fit!! "Darling, we may have to move house" is not an option!

Wejimmy - I will have to do a simlar thing due to lack of space. I also have a mezzanine floor above my garage which is accessed by a wooden modular staircase at the end of the garage. That is now going to be hinged and will swing up to the left hand wall out of the way. Weighs a ton so will have to be very secure to stop it swinging back when teh car is parked !! Thank you for the reply.

Yes, mine is 2.9m at the widest point. The extra 10cm vs yours is no-doubt nice to have but I can't see it being a deal breaker at all as far as ingress / egress.

That said, the "Darling, we may have to move house" option is often on my
mind. The porker would love to have a friend in the garage, I am sure, and a four post lift would definitely make it easier to detail the wheels. Hmmmm.

This is really useful - I have been laying awake worrying about the same - the guy who built our garage clearly had no plans ever to put a car in it!

How many cm, from side of the car to wall, do you think you need to open the door and get out?

Any views would be very helpful.

Cheers!

What width is your garage at the car door opening point?

Garage finally renovated and car fitted perfectly. I can walk all round the car and my garage is 2.76m wide. Some before and after photos. To follow.....

Attachments

• a9c91594_5ec9_48de_be32_a6bb15616fca_200.jpeg
    a9c91594_5ec9_48de_be32_a6bb15616fca_200.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 7,886
Another pre-works shot!

Attachments

• 414d7404_b784_4f07_9593_b0aa41be572b_488.jpeg
    414d7404_b784_4f07_9593_b0aa41be572b_488.jpeg
    774.8 KB · Views: 7,883
Ply-boarded and painted ceiling, new LED 600mm panels (very bright), painted walls, new electric roller door and new UPVC back door. New loft ladder to access mezzanine floor. Ecotile K490 tiled floor. Porsche tailor-made blind. Very pleased and the car fitted perfectly!

Attachments

• b9860959_9842_4eb6_b520_d43592a6a9d7_214.jpeg
    b9860959_9842_4eb6_b520_d43592a6a9d7_214.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,881
Yes I need three more tiles, car now home for good!

Attachments

• 3e1f95b2_01bb_4566_b2bc_4034254b7223_806.jpeg
    3e1f95b2_01bb_4566_b2bc_4034254b7223_806.jpeg
    751.1 KB · Views: 7,878

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back