Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 4
997 : 2004- 72
996 : 1997-2005 42
993 : 1993-1998 11
964 : 1989-1993 0
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 1
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
P911X50
Trainee


Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 98
Location: Hertfordshire


PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Windscreen replacement - insurer not allowing OEM Reply with quote

Hi

I am currently insured with Zenith insurance Sad with fully comp cover. Last month I found myself with a cracked screen. I called my insurer who forwarded my call to Autowindscreens. I have been told by my insurer that I cannot request a OEM windscreen and would have to accept their version

Has anyone used Autowindscreens and come across similar problems?

Thanks
_________________
Porsche 996 Turbo X50 with 9e exhaust
Evo 4 with Evo 8 MR Engine 360 bhp - Road Legal Track car
Previous
MR2 Turbo 280 bhp - Road Legal Track Car
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Marky911
Imola


Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 850



PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has happened to me in the past (5 years ago) with Admiral who I'm with again this year. Surprised

I don't have an issue with a non OPC screen as they are all made and tested to the required specs. What is a problem is that it's total pot luck as to whether you get a careful fitter who takes a bit of pride in his work, or Dwayne the party animal who was out clubbing til 3am the night before he fits your screen at 9am.

I used Autoglass up here in Newcastle and although the guy was a jobsworth he managed to scratch my colour coded ashtray lid. After much arguing with him and his boss I was refunded my £75 excess towards respraying the ashtray, which I didn't get done as it would have opened up a right can of worms I think. (Matching guards red etc).
What was also funny was the fact the fitter kept telling me over and over that "I don't get 911s me. Don't see the attraction". I'm not sure why he thought I'd be too bothered. I just wanted my screen fitted.

Oh and the first time they came they brought the wrong screen. I'd taken the day off work too. Not impressed.

If you don't choose Autowindscreens your insurer will have a list of companies they use, but you'll always be at the mercy of the fitter.

I'd try and contact Glassman on P'heads.
He's very good, based in the London area but may know a decent non-OPC fitter in your area, although they may still only want to fit an OPC screen.
OPC screens are generally about £800 and your insurer may let you pay the extra yourself. I personally would rather pay my £75 excess than about £600 but it's upto you

Good luck. Hopefully someone may have a better option. Thumb


Edited to add - I've just noticed you're in Herts. Definitely ring Glassman for advice.

I have also used the Newcastle branch of Auto Windscreens and they were great but again it's pot luck as to the type of person you get.

Unfortunately we need to clarify things like windscreen renewal when taking out our policies, as by the time you realise, you're snookered.
As I've said I'm not particularly bothered about the make of glass, as long as it's fitted correctly.

Last edited by Marky911 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:38 am; edited 3 times in total
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
T8
General
General


Joined: 29 Jun 2010
Posts: 12575
Location: Kent


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same issue with Admiral and my 996T. They offered to contribute £100 towards the cost of fitment by an OPC which would have left me with a bill of c£500.

I chose to go with their 'Autoglass' option and paid my £75 excess.

The windscreen they fitted was identical to the one previously in my car but I don't know whether that was original.

NB: I took it to an Autoglass Fitting Centre rather than using a mobile fitter and watched the guy like a hawk.

I wouldn't hesitate to do the same again with my 997T.

Good Luck
_________________
2007 Guards Red 997 Turbo Tiptronic
ex 2004 Polar Silver 996T Tiptronic
ex 2002 Seal Grey 996.2 C4 Tiptronic
ex 1978 Silver 924 Manual
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
richardh1
Newbie


Joined: 10 Mar 2015
Posts: 27



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this gentleman takes a particular interest in doing Porsche car glass I came across him years ago after loads of great references on pistonheads he came out to me to do a home fitting mainly because the distance was so far but i think he is more based in one center now

highly recommended

http://www.glasstecauto.co.uk/

as above the glassman or Paul

I used him after an enormous FU by autoglass on my old 996
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
AdeD
Montreal


Joined: 10 Oct 2010
Posts: 582



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gets my back up this, they kick and scream and increase your premium should you have the audacity to fit a non oem part making it non standard yet they insist on doing exactly that!!
_________________
997.2 Turbo ES650 | 19" HRE's | GT2RS Seats | IPD Plenum & Y pipe | WaterMeth Injection | DeCat | H&R Springs | TPC Racing DSC Module
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
The Lone Ranger
Newbie


Joined: 03 Feb 2017
Posts: 13



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: New Windscreen Reply with quote

I had a cracked windscreen fitted last year, and told insurer that I wanted an oem screen, there was no problem although it took a few days to arrive. I am insured with E sure. The 1st screen was fitted and seemed ok, until I went for a drive and there was wind noise above 40mph. So I called insurers and they arranged for another screen to be fitted, this time by a competent fitter. No problems this time and all is good. Fitting can look fine but afterwards check for noise in car, as it is quite common. Thumb
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
mrgrey
Silverstone


Joined: 09 Mar 2014
Posts: 121
Location: Essex


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in or around London go to Glasstecauto.co.uk, Paul Ralhan has an excellent reputation, I would not go anywhere else.

Sadly we only learn about the limitations of more reasonably priced motor insurance when we come to claim. If you want to use a non approved supplier and require OEM glass then it it's likely to cost extra.
_________________
991.1 C2S PDK
997.2 C2S PDK
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
rabbitstew
Nürburgring


Joined: 21 Aug 2015
Posts: 406



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the misfortune of cracking the screen in my brand new bmw as I drove it home from the dealership. I was with Admiral and I told them that bmw said that they should replace it with a genuine bmw screen. Reason being is that as the car had auto wipers, auto everything in fact and that the rain sensors would not work as well through a non genuine screen. Admiral were fine with that, although autoglass (i think it was) had a right moan on the phone to me about it saying that their cheaper brand screens would work fine etc. At one point they tried to say it would take weeks to get a BMW screen in etc... I said that was fine and in the end they backed down.

They fitted it in my drive and I watched the fitter like a hawk. He did an excellent job.
_________________
2008 997.1 Turbo Manual
2000 Ducati 996
1999 Yamaha R1
1994 Kawasaki ZXR750L2
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Paul_911
Montreal


Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 514



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original screen in my old 996.2 Carrera suffered damage from a stone chip last year. The default supplier for my insurance company was Autoglass - when they arrived the fitter had a 964 screen in the van (I think they got confused as the last three digits of the cars chassis number were 964). After telling me that this was in fact the fifth 964 screen they had received as the first four had been damaged in transit and that he could not guarantee an OEM I got back on the phone to my insurance company. They were surprised that my getting an OEM screen was even in doubt and allowed me to source my new screen via my local OPC (Porsche Belfast). They then arranged for the screen to be collected directly from Porsche Belfast and installed in my garage by National Windscreens. As soon as the fitter arrived I knew he was a 'car guy' and I left him to it - the job was second to none and I was very happy with the result.

Additionally I have a good relationship with my OPC and the parts department were even able to source me a screen with a number very close to the original - it was ...3 being an 2003 car and they managed to source a ...4 (2004) screen - top service!
_________________

Ex: 944 S2, 993 Carrera, 993 C2S (2), 996 C2 Cab, 996 C4, Boxster, Boxster 'S' (3)
Present: '01 996 Turbo (Polar/Metropole), '03 996 Carrera 4 'S' (Basalt/Black), '15 520D M Sport, '89 Mini 30
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
bo_duke
Silverstone


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 133



PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue with Admiral and, after reading the horror stories about squeaking windscreens, opted to pay my OPC to fit an OEM screen.

The result was a bill for 1K and a windscreen that squeaked like a box of chicks. For info, they outsource their windscreen fitting.

So I'd either take the cheap option, or go with Glassman, who was just too far away from me.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8910
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mine broke about a year ago , I called my insurer and told them the facts . That the windscreen on these cars is an integral part of the structure of these cars and was intrinsic part of the safety feature of the car. and as I had OE glass I would not accept anything less, unless they were prepared to put in writing that they were supplying me with a non genuine structural part for my car and any failure causing anyone injury or loss of life they would accept total and complete liability for in the future.
the adviser took this to the underwriter and within 15mins I had agreement to have OE glass from Germany at a cost of nearly 1k.
I agreed to use their fitting company so called them up told them the glass needed very careful fitting as it was structural and if they sent a fitter who had never fitted 911 glass before I would send him away and continue to do so until they sorted it. I also insisted it was fitted on the site of my indy who would check it over afterwards . they agreed and sent down from London their trainer who had fitted lots of 911 glass . he arrived at my indy and clearly knew what he was doing and was not phased by me and my indy lurking watching him.
A great job done . BUT you do have to be very clear and insistent to get what you want from these people.
I was only with one of the normal run of the mill insurers not a specialist think it was swift or someone. Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
jpsh120
Montreal


Joined: 30 Aug 2015
Posts: 560
Location: Somerset


PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil 997 wrote:
When mine broke about a year ago , I called my insurer and told them the facts . That the windscreen on these cars is an integral part of the structure of these cars and was intrinsic part of the safety feature of the car. and as I had OE glass I would not accept anything less, unless they were prepared to put in writing that they were supplying me with a non genuine structural part for my car and any failure causing anyone injury or loss of life they would accept total and complete liability for in the future.
the adviser took this to the underwriter and within 15mins I had agreement to have OE glass from Germany at a cost of nearly 1k.
I agreed to use their fitting company so called them up told them the glass needed very careful fitting as it was structural and if they sent a fitter who had never fitted 911 glass before I would send him away and continue to do so until they sorted it. I also insisted it was fitted on the site of my indy who would check it over afterwards . they agreed and sent down from London their trainer who had fitted lots of 911 glass . he arrived at my indy and clearly knew what he was doing and was not phased by me and my indy lurking watching him.
A great job done . BUT you do have to be very clear and insistent to get what you want from these people.
I was only with one of the normal run of the mill insurers not a specialist think it was swift or someone. Thumb


Jesus Phil, I bet you also insist on Heinz when you have sausage, chips and beans at the greasy spoon cafe Floor Floor

In all seriousness, it's a shame you have to go to these measures to ensure your car is looked after and gets what it deserves.
_________________
2007 997 Carrera S
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8910
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsh120 wrote:
Phil 997 wrote:
When mine broke about a year ago , I called my insurer and told them the facts . That the windscreen on these cars is an integral part of the structure of these cars and was intrinsic part of the safety feature of the car. and as I had OE glass I would not accept anything less, unless they were prepared to put in writing that they were supplying me with a non genuine structural part for my car and any failure causing anyone injury or loss of life they would accept total and complete liability for in the future.
the adviser took this to the underwriter and within 15mins I had agreement to have OE glass from Germany at a cost of nearly 1k.
I agreed to use their fitting company so called them up told them the glass needed very careful fitting as it was structural and if they sent a fitter who had never fitted 911 glass before I would send him away and continue to do so until they sorted it. I also insisted it was fitted on the site of my indy who would check it over afterwards . they agreed and sent down from London their trainer who had fitted lots of 911 glass . he arrived at my indy and clearly knew what he was doing and was not phased by me and my indy lurking watching him.
A great job done . BUT you do have to be very clear and insistent to get what you want from these people.
I was only with one of the normal run of the mill insurers not a specialist think it was swift or someone. Thumb


Jesus Phil, I bet you also insist on Heinz when you have sausage, chips and beans at the greasy spoon cafe Floor Floor

In all seriousness, it's a shame you have to go to these measures to ensure your car is looked after and gets what it deserves.


Floor Jason at minimum cross and blackwell mate Grin Grin Thumb Thumb funny was sat in my NOT so greasy spoon today having brunch and in walked Harry Rednapp and Wife who sat on the table next to me, he only lives around the corner from the cafe . think he insisted on Heinz as well Floor and bowyers bangers Grin Thumb Thumb
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Disco
Estoril


Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3555
Location: Hertfordshire

2010 Porsche 997 GT3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The subtext of this thread is that not all insurers are created equally. My own experience of having a cracked screen replaced was that I contacted my insurer (A Manning) and their position is that either they can sort it directly with whoever they use by default and I would pay the excess or if I would rather use my own choice that is fine but I pay, send them the invoice and they reimburse the cost less the excess.

So I had Paul from Glasstec (aka GlassMan) fit a new Porsche screen to the car and the insurers reimbursed me without hassle or any undue delay. I would add that there is a reason why practically everyone recommends him - he is one of those specialists to whom doing the job right is critically important and it is a pleasure to watch him work and chat to him about Porsches while he does. I reckon that he does every bit as good a job as the robot that famously puts them in on the production line (possibly better) and I would always want him doing the job anytime I needed a screen in any serious car.
_________________
Colin

Black 997 GT3 3.8 CS - Acquired for the 2012 season and beyond
Black 996 GT3 Mk2 - Gone, but will never be forgotten
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Halcyon
Montreal


Joined: 02 Nov 2015
Posts: 590
Location: Somerset


PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait wait wait... am I missing something here??

the glass in a Porsche isn't anything special? It's laminated, has an internal aerial, maybe a coloured band across the top..
Oh, and they de-laminate in the corners.
Yes, it's structural.. But so is the one in a 1998 Vectra?
A focus has a heating element, is that less complicated than a Porsche one?

yes, it has to be fitted properly.. but that's the same in a BMW, Audi... Citroen.... if its badly fitted or the bonding agent doesn't cure, then you'll have problems..

Are you all being a bit, you know... precious? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
_________________
996.2 Carrera 4 Convertible Tip
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Martian
Magny-Cours


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 2651
Location: Bury St. Edmunds

2007 Porsche 997 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Manning UK and needed a new screen last year. I had the choice of paying a £75 excess and using AutoGlass/AutoWindscreens etc, or pay £100 and choose who I use. I opted to go to Paul at Glasstec who did a great job using an OE screen. I saw the screen before he fitted it and it had an OPC supplied sticker on it. Yes I had to pay Paul for it and claim it back from Mannings, they paid me within a week. Great service and that's why I'm happy to stay with Manning.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
P911X50
Trainee


Joined: 03 Jan 2017
Posts: 98
Location: Hertfordshire


PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have now managed to get Zenith ( Hand ) to agree that it will be a dealer windscreen. In terms of fitting, I will ask them to send a fitter who has experience of fitting a windscreens to Porches. I will ensure its is fitted at my independent Porsche specialists at Porsche Dynamics, who will oversee the fitting.

Just like to thank everyone here for their advice, all of it is valued thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
_________________
Porsche 996 Turbo X50 with 9e exhaust
Evo 4 with Evo 8 MR Engine 360 bhp - Road Legal Track car
Previous
MR2 Turbo 280 bhp - Road Legal Track Car
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Marky911
Imola


Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 850



PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Result!
How did you persuade them? With Phil's method?
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
VPD255M
Newbie


Joined: 01 Aug 2014
Posts: 33
Location: Gloucestershire


PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Glassman, I'm with Classicline & they allowed me to go with Paul, I arranged it payed up front, & they sent me a cheque, less the excess, within a week.
_________________
997.1 GT3 CS
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Phil 997
Yas Marina


Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 8910
Location: Bournemouth,Dorset

2009 Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P911X50 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have now managed to get Zenith ( Hand ) to agree that it will be a dealer windscreen. In terms of fitting, I will ask them to send a fitter who has experience of fitting a windscreens to Porches. I will ensure its is fitted at my independent Porsche specialists at Porsche Dynamics, who will oversee the fitting.

Just like to thank everyone here for their advice, all of it is valued thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup


Perfect outcome, well done insisting you get OE glass .and having it fitted at your trusted Indy will ensure no corners are cut Thumb Grin Thumb Grin
_________________
911 Owners,Some Invest In The Future,
Others Enjoy The Moment Today.
 
  
View user's profile Send private message
   
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic   All times are GMT - 11 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum