Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

coolant smell, possible leak?

martylennox

I sometimes can smell coolant after getting out of the c4s, I've checked for leaks but cannot see anything. I've also smelled the left and right rads with the engine running, an ever so slight smell for drivers side, but no drips nor noticeable level drop in coolant?

Any pointers or things to check would be great :worship:

Cheers

I have been in a similar situation. Only noticeable when hot and even more so after a spirited run. Try and track it down to front or rear. Mine was definitely from rear. No obvious sign of a leak just the smell. I kept a close eye on the level in the expansion tank and it would drop slightly (about 0.5l over time) and then stabilise. I thought it was the release value on the top of the tank. It was actually a faulty cap; not obvious as the leak would evaporate on the hot manifold. I still don't know why if would drop a touch and stabilize though. A cheap fix thankfully. Other source other than pipework and clips is the tank itself which can crack with age. If odour is from front check rads carefully first.

Thanks Stirling,

I replaced the cap shortly after purchasing the c4s, it was allowing coolant past and down the overflow, a common issue I'm told.

Turn the wheels to full lock and then with the engine running switch on the air con and have a sniff.You will then be able to smell antifreeze from in that area.

:agree:

Its the rads or one rad very slightly leaking .

You can either replace or keep an eye on the coolant lvl as sometimes the antifreeze will seal small leaks ( the pink stuff ) .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back