Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stone chips

hml77008

Anyone experienced severe stone chipping on the rear bumper immediately behind the rear wheels? I have got significant local paint chipping which I've found quite surprising even though I do live in rural area and the roads aren't the best. Of course the main dealer is happy to repaint the entire bumper for £500+

Mine are all at the front, although I do have some on the spokes of the rear wheels somehow.

Have you got spacers or different offset alloys or are you running 305s on the rear, all of those will push the wheels out a bit and if too close to the lip of the arch will/could cause more chips than usual in that area. :thumb:

Unusual on the rear bumper, do you mean on the wheelarch? I have an equivalent 18mm wider stance each side on the rear and don't have any chips rear of the wheel! I do have nasty road rash in front of the rear wheels where the body flares out that I will need to pair soon though!

Do you drive over gravel very much?

Strange - I also live out in the country with all sorts of crap being left on the road for the tyres to pick up. We also have the 'tar and gravel' solution to road repair every year and I've never seen any degradation on the bumper but, as previously mentioned, do you mean the wheel arch? Again, mine aren't showing any issues at the moment but that could just be good luck I suppose. :dont know:

Any pics available?

Thanks folks - yes it's the rear wheel arch which is part of the rear bumper piece. Road rash is a good description. I do have a gravel driveway but wouldn't expect to be throwing gravel chips the low speed I am on the drive. It must be the usual country road crap. I will get it repaired but imagine it will just happen again - anyone experienced the clear film protective covering at all? By the way, the car is a bog standard Carrera 2S.

I'm pretty sure I read a 993 thread on here where guys used this tape (or something very similar) on their wheel arches:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222524898276

I'm thinking of giving it a go once I get back home as I recently had the rear bumper resprayed albeit for a different reason. If you give it a go it would good to get your feedback on using it etc. :thumb:

Yep, I do.

Right at the bottom of the bumper as it curves under the car is really bad.

Painting, then applying a paint protection film would be the only cure really. I'm certain its more if a cars been used all year round. Winter salt + motorways eroding the lower exposed area of the bumper.

I bet chips away could perform a localised repair, with it being low down and generally out of sight it probably wouldn't be that noticeable.

My 996 displayed the same type of low down gravel rash on the bumper - only picked my 997 up today so too giddy to have looked yet!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DomiNozka
Back