Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2 997 Turbo

easternjets

Well this pot has been boiling for a number of months now, in fact probably since I got my 997 gen 1 tip. So I decided to part with my lovely Gen 1 Turbo and look for a good example of a Gen 2 Turbo.
So after a nudge from a certain forum member, Joe, I found a lovely 2011 low mileage Gen 2 997 Turbo in Basalt Black.
Yesterday I picked the car up and drove it back late afternoon to Darlington.
Now i'm probably going to upset a few people here. nothing new there! But what a difference. They're like chalk and cheese to drive, the Gen 1 is a very raw and dare I say it harsh car to drive, you feel every bump and that mezger engine has got more torque than a tractor.
I think my biggest gripe with the gen 1 was the ride, I know it's a sports car but on poor roads it's very crash/bang. The Gen 2 on the other hand is greatly improved, it's firm but not as hard as the other car. There's also a lot less road noise from the tyres, the new car has Pirelli's the old one Michelin's maybe that's the difference but I think it's just better sorted.
Then there's the gearbox, well I'm not going to say much here other than 1970's gearbox v's 2000's gearbox. The new one is an absolute gem, in normal mode it changes up to a high gear pretty quickly, in Sport mode it's a bit more predictive of your driving style and in Sport Plus mode it's just plain bonkers, on braking it down changes not one but sometimes two gears, blipping on the change down and it holds the gear well up the rev range to get max power.
The interior is pretty much the same, hard back sports seats felt a bit more comfortable but I think that's just me. The PCM system is also a massive upgrade as well, with plug in's for all your media things.
Lastly the engine, to be honest I didn't feel that it had more power. I think that the turbo lag has been smoothed out on the DFi whereas on the mezger you get that snap, bang catapult effect! The engine sounds totally different on acceleration and it's quieter as well. MPG seemed to be much the same as well, in fact I think on a run the old car got better mpg but not by much.
All in all I love it, I liked the Gen 1 but it had it's foibles whereas the Gen 2 is a much smoother car to drive overall and is a definite keeper, for now anyway!

Congrats Nick !
I'm sure I'll see it soon, but you know the rules for now ....... :useless:

I'm looking for a run out Monday afternoon when it's sunny, lets meet up for a cuppa :thumb:

Nice write up and congratulations on the new car, don't forget to update your signature :thumb:

Which one did you buy? I'd been looking st the adds for ages.
A black 14,000 miler just came in which looked a belter!

easternjets said:
Well this pot has been boiling for a number of months now, in fact probably since I got my 997 gen 1 tip. So I decided to part with my lovely Gen 1 Turbo and look for a good example of a Gen 2 Turbo.
So after a nudge from a certain forum member, Joe, I found a lovely 2011 low mileage Gen 2 997 Turbo in Basalt Black.
Yesterday I picked the car up and drove it back late afternoon to Darlington.
Now i'm probably going to upset a few people here. nothing new there! But what a difference. They're like chalk and cheese to drive, the Gen 1 is a very raw and dare I say it harsh car to drive, you feel every bump and that mezger engine has got more torque than a tractor.
I think my biggest gripe with the gen 1 was the ride, I know it's a sports car but on poor roads it's very crash/bang. The Gen 2 on the other hand is greatly improved, it's firm but not as hard as the other car. There's also a lot less road noise from the tyres, the new car has Pirelli's the old one Michelin's maybe that's the difference but I think it's just better sorted.
Then there's the gearbox, well I'm not going to say much here other than 1970's gearbox v's 2000's gearbox. The new one is an absolute gem, in normal mode it changes up to a high gear pretty quickly, in Sport mode it's a bit more predictive of your driving style and in Sport Plus mode it's just plain bonkers, on braking it down changes not one but sometimes two gears, blipping on the change down and it holds the gear well up the rev range to get max power.
The interior is pretty much the same, hard back sports seats felt a bit more comfortable but I think that's just me. The PCM system is also a massive upgrade as well, with plug in's for all your media things.
Lastly the engine, to be honest I didn't feel that it had more power. I think that the turbo lag has been smoothed out on the DFi whereas on the mezger you get that snap, bang catapult effect! The engine sounds totally different on acceleration and it's quieter as well. MPG seemed to be much the same as well, in fact I think on a run the old car got better mpg but not by much.
All in all I love it, I liked the Gen 1 but it had it's foibles whereas the Gen 2 is a much smoother car to drive overall and is a definite keeper, for now anyway!

That's a lovely right up and very "PC" well done :thumb:

No wrong or right in my eyes, which ever Gen you chose, look forward to a piccie mate :thumb:

Interesting observations Nick and . :congrats:

For me there's no surprises in what you've said. Porsche's mantra is 'evolution not revolution' after all and I found similar subtle improvements when I went from my 996T to the 997T.

I do think the "70s gearbox" comment is a bit harsh though. 90s yes, but not 70s :D

Interesting write up. Congrats on the new purchase.

That double downshift really makes you pause and think " did it just do that" the first time it happens doesn't it :thumb: would really like to meet the people who programmed and setup the PDK someday. Must have been a cross between the stig and Einstein :)

Enjoy.

Congrats, enjoy your car in good healthy.

You will love the Gen 2 Turbo and won't want to ever part with it.

Anyone help me here with posting pics? I had a photobucket account but closed it, so how do I post pics without it?

T8, the Tip box is a very strong box, by all accounts good up to 1,000 bhp but it is, how can I say it, lethargic. On my old one the light use to go up a gear before the box changed, became a bit of a running joke!
I have to also say they are two entirely different boxes, one an 'Auto' and the other a manual with an Auto change, so I am probably being unfare but the PDK is a massive step forward.
That mezger engine though is a brute, you don't realise how much torque it's got till you drive the DFi it really is vicious, I can see now why they are so revered. :thumb:

Monday sounds good for me Porschekit, drop me a text.

easternjets said:
Anyone help me here with posting pics? I had a photobucket account but closed it, so how do I post pics without it?
I've had mine closed today too due to 3rd party hosting? :x anyone got a solution :?:

Really happy with my gen 1 manual , as you say it's brutal (in an old school way) :thumb: drove a gen 2 turbo pdk before I bought mine but just wanted the Manual feel as it's only for weekend use. If if were my DD I'd probably go for PDK :dont know:

I use faststone photo resizer for posting pics dead easy to use select your pic from your files and it will compress and resize to upload to here 2 sec jobjob done :thumb:

nice one on the upgrade Nick

Giving it a go,

Attachments

• 997_gen_2_162.jpg
    997_gen_2_162.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,209
Congrats and welcome to the club

Very nice and now the cooking engines are pretty much sorted its hard to argue in favour of the mezger unit. :thumb:

Great write up mate,have you launched it yet??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back