Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre advice on soon be acquired GT3

MJA911

I put a deposit on a 997.1 GT3 yesterday, so if all goes to plan I will be the proud owner in 2 weeks time :)

Whilst I'm busy making plans for initial goodies it will need to have (front intake grills, a GT03 number plate, GT3 wheel caps rather than colour crested spring to mind) my mind has turned to its tyres in that it has just had a new set of Pilot Sport Cup 2 (N0) fitted. They look great and from reading up I see that they're C rated for wet and seem to be positioned as Ok for road and rain.

Question I have is that whilst I will track the car maybe couple of times a year, it's going to be a road car so would I be better off selling these Cup 2 tyres whilst they're in as new condition and use the funds on a set of PS4S or leave well alone, save the hassle as they are the "right" tyres for the car and no issue if used sensibly on the road in wet conditions?

Thanks for any pointers, as a new member of the GT3 fold, they will be welcome!

I'd definitely go with the PS4s. Cups will wear very quickly on the road and are not as effective in the wet. I have the older super sports and they're fantastic and hold up well enough for the occasional track session.

I would say it depends on how and when you're going to use it.

Only sparing use and only in the dry then I'd keep the Cups. I would imagine most GT3s fall into this category to a) reduce unnecessary mileage/value, and b) reduce the chance of unnecessarily binning it on wet roads.

If you plan on using it in all weathers at all times of the year then I would change the tyres to your preferred choice.

PS- I'm very envious, the '7 GT3 really is a special car.

:thumb:

Thanks for that. I should have said it will be a couple of times a week/weekend/road trip/5k miles a year type car, should be able to avoid using it in crap weather most of the time. I did read that the cup tyres have harder sidewalls/harder ride, not a huge concern if it isn't like riding on wheels of stone, didn't seem to be on the test drive, euphoria might of been masking it of course :oops:

Congrats on the new car :thumb:

My Turbo S was on Cup 2 tyres when I bought them, and TBH the only time I noted anything of concern with them was that the car was slightly twitchy when it was cold and very wet in early January.

Otherwise the car rides fine on them, in comparison to the PS2's that had been on my previous Turbo, and the grip in dry conditions is phenomenal. I would stick with them if you intend to avoid crap weather, and reconsider when it comes time to change.

Graemep said:

My Turbo S was on Cup 2 tyres when I bought them, and TBH the only time I noted anything of concern with them was that the car was slightly twitchy when it was cold and very wet in early January.

Otherwise the car rides fine on them, in comparison to the PS2's that had been on my previous Turbo, and the grip in dry conditions is phenomenal. I would stick with them if you intend to avoid crap weather, and reconsider when it comes time to change.
:agree:

I run the cup 2 on my turbo with identical use to what you are planning and love them.

Thanks for that graemep, my current tyres are PS2 so that's my comparison too. Heard you were at the Beaconsfield meet last week from our blond haired friend :wink:

Thanks RJW, good to know. They look the business, leaning towards keeping them, but as per itsdashy, I think the PS4S's would be more suitable. Suppose I could have a punt of asking if anybody wants a set of Cup 2s for the price of a set of PS4S's, i.e. they buy those and we swap over all in one go, keep the hassle factor down.

Graemep said:

This ^

CUp2 are very hard wearing. If its road miles makes sure geo is close to factory else you will just wear them out on the inside edges. Which is a waste of money/tyre

Interesting that you mention GEO senoj, at some stage I'm sure I'll be up to CG, but in the meantime is there anything that means the excellent indie who's doing the pre-sale prep couldn't set the car to factory GEO? I'm just thinking about how adjustable they are, ride height for example. I'm assuming ride height has a factory setting which is road/tyre friendly?

MJA911 said:
Interesting that you mention GEO senoj, at some stage I'm sure I'll be up to CG, but in the meantime is there anything that means the excellent indie who's doing the pre-sale prep couldn't set the car to factory GEO? I'm just thinking about how adjustable they are, ride height for example. I'm assuming ride height has a factory setting which is road/tyre friendly?

Maybe its already set there? You can probably tell by looking to be honest, stick you iphone on the front wheel with an angle measuring app, if ts set for track it will be around 3 ish of camber if road then 1.5 ish. That should give you a hint of where it is now. CG are great but anyone with some experience can set a geo on a Porsche.

Senoj said:
MJA911 said:

Maybe its already set there? You can probably tell by looking to be honest, stick you iphone on the front wheel with an angle measuring app, if ts set for track it will be around 3 ish of camber if road then 1.5 ish. That should give you a hint of where it is now. CG are great but anyone with some experience can set a geo on a Porsche.

+1... the indie should be able to check this for you. Before you collect it get
him to put everything back to standard (geo and anti roll bar settings).. then
when you start playing with it, you'll know how the car feels and drives when
it's set up from the factory, and you can start having fun with the cars set up.

The Cup 2 is the tyre that you want. They do not have the standing water and wear issues of the earlier Cup+ so they only warrant pause for thought if you are going to drive it in single figure or subzero temperatures (in which case you will certainly also need a set of winters).

[I have over 3 degrees of camber on mine and the multi-compound construction lasts many times better than the old Cup+ too (those have the inner shoulder evaporate in a few thousand road miles. That does not happen with the Cup 2).]

I'd listen to people who run them. You're buying a GT3 and they go hand in hand with Cup 2 tyres.

I have them on my 911 but I've not really run it much with them so can't give feedback but there's people on here who have given good feedback.

Really appreciate the advise, I'll take it and keep the Cup 2s on the car :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back