Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT prices - query

dissolved

Can anyone explain the price differences in 996TT's out there at all ?

Looking in the PH classifieds there are price differences of around £15k for similar looking cars. Are they that sensitive to spec to command such a premium? is it just dealers sitting on them in the hope they'll continue to push them up & up & up?

If I had £45k to play with, an x50 manual with ~70k seems achievable?

Would that be a sensible starting point? I currently have a Cayman R, only had it 3 months & it is great fun & is fully loaded - the PDK is a godsend around London.... but it does seem to lack a bit of drama & Oooomph in the speed stakes.

Coming from an E46 M3 it's pretty similar, obviously the lightness of the R makes a big difference out on the twisty stuff but it's all a bit sedate (not really but you know what I mean).

For roughly the same cash, a 996TT seems like the dramatic alternative, I'm not that fussed about the toys - I want it to be fast all the time & the 4WD will probably make it a better option for year round weekend fun.

dissolved said:
Can anyone explain the price differences in 996TT's out there at all ?

Looking in the PH classifieds there are price differences of around £15k for similar looking cars. Are they that sensitive to spec to command such a premium? is it just dealers sitting on them in the hope they'll continue to push them up & up & up?

If I had £45k to play with, an x50 manual with ~70k seems achievable?

Would that be a sensible starting point? I currently have a Cayman R, only had it 3 months & it is great fun & is fully loaded - the PDK is a godsend around London.... but it does seem to lack a bit of drama & Oooomph in the speed stakes.

Coming from an E46 M3 it's pretty similar, obviously the lightness of the R makes a big difference out on the twisty stuff but it's all a bit sedate (not really but you know what I mean).

For roughly the same cash, a 996TT seems like the dramatic alternative, I'm not that fussed about the toys - I want it to be fast all the time & the 4WD will probably make it a better option for year round weekend fun.

I think some people are chancing it, however shameless plug here but i will be listing my 51 plate turbo at the end of the month for £37,500 (non X50). Its been well looked after but has passed 100,000 miles (used as daily driver and currently at 100,600 with about 800miles done each month)

I'v been looking to change my 70k miles X50, I put some new photos up on the advert this morning and dropped the price to 44500. I spoke to a very respected turbo tuner recently and they mentioned retailing my car for around 49. I can't offer a warranty yet the car wants for nothing. I'd say there should be a spread on similar cars that look like for like yet the higher priced car should have more spent on maintenance/upkeep.

Bund said:
I'v been looking to change my 70k miles X50, I put some new photos up on the advert this morning and dropped the price to 44500. I spoke to a very respected turbo tuner recently and they mentioned retailing my car for around 49. I can't offer a warranty yet the car wants for nothing. I'd say there should be a spread on similar cars that look like for like yet the higher priced car should have more spent on maintenance/upkeep.

Had a read of your advert on PH earlier as I recognised the photos outside The White Cross 8)

I used to live just the other side of Richmond bridge.

Beautiful looking car & looks in great condition with the effort you have put into her. If you fancy a swap for a Cayman R let me know :thumb:

dissolved said:
Bund said:

Had a read of your advert on PH earlier as I recognised the photos outside The White Cross 8)

Beautiful looking car & looks in great condition with the effort you have put into her. If you fancy a swap for a Cayman R let me know :thumb:

I used to live in the development opposite side of the river to Gaucho and now towards the station.

Cayman R, does it have buckets? I don't know what they're worth, link to the add if you have one????

Bund said:
dissolved said:
Bund said:

I used to live in the development opposite side of the river to Gaucho and now towards the station.

Cayman R, does it have buckets? I don't know what they're worth, link to the add if you have one????

It does have buckets (& just about everything else) - here is the ad that was up at Autostore. I've not put it back up for sale yet, am just browsing & think the 996TT is the likely option.

dissolved said:
Bund said:
dissolved said:
Bund said:

It does have buckets (& just about everything else) - here is the ad that was up at Autostore. I've not put it back up for sale yet, am just browsing & think the 996TT is the likely option.

I was thinking of a pdk among a million other cars but more along GTS, I think I'd have the same problem as you though and I'm not a fan of white(had a paint problem on my GT3).

Around which price are you thinking to advertise?

Bund said:
I was thinking of a pdk among a million other cars but more along GTS, I think I'd have the same problem as you though and I'm not a fan of white(had a paint problem on my GT3).

Probably the same as I picked it up for - £40.5k

dissolved said:
Bund said:

Well if you can get that then you done well for a 3 month ownerhip period. Did you try a turbo before buying?

Bund said:
dissolved said:
Bund said:

Well if you can get that then you done well for a 3 month ownerhip period. Did you try a turbo before buying?

I didn't... I tried this & a 997 Gen.2 C2S from 911 Virgin, slightly hasty but I basically talked myself into it as both were outstanding, albeit the 997 felt slightly larger than expected.

Actually driving a 996TT might be a good idea though :D

dissolved said:
........ I basically talked myself into it as both were outstanding, albeit the 997 felt slightly larger than expected.

Strange, given that the 996 Turbo is longer and wider than a 997C2S.

EDIT: I've just realised that you might have been comparing Cayman v 997. The fact remains that a 996T is bigger still.

If you want fun in the twisties I'd be very surprised if a 996T would be as quick A to B as your Cayman.

The point, squirt and brake (very) hard driving experience on such roads is truly exciting but the novelty does wear off.

Unfortunately it takes longer than the usual test drive distance to get past the :drive: factor of a Turbo.

Come on Terry...the novlety never wears off when driving a turbo hard!!!

The adrenaline rush of making overtaking manoeuvres in situations and taking out more cars in a single rush that most could never contemplate does not wear off.

The torque and power on tap is simply exhilarating.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back