Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scratches caused by cat

FZP

Need a bit of advice if I may. I'm currently mid renovation and the car was looking very much like a barn find. Covered in a decent layer of dust. One of our cats had made its way onto the car and whilst climbing back down has slipped back down the bonnet and as a result has left fine scratches on the slip marks from the resting dust/dirty paws.
I polished with Autoglym Super resin polish, but get the impression that it gets its results as a filler rather than a true polish. Can I get your thoughts on how best to tackle the problem of removing the scratches and what product would get the best result.

TIA,
FZP

I had quite a number of fine scratches to deal with and was amazed how well and how easily I could remove them with a DA polisher. Obviously only any use if they are only in the laquer.

Yes. They're in the clear coat. They look about as deep as a bad swirl mark. As I don't have a DA, need to do it by hand. What's the best product to.do it with?

Something like Menzerna 2200 will work but the trouble with doing it by hand is the hologramming you will inevitably get when in direct sunlight.

Light scratches in the clear are easy to remove with a rotary/DA polisher and a bit of cutting compound. The Menz 2200 is a medium cutting compound which will leave a nice glossy finish when done :thumb:

When detailing I prefer the Menzerna products. I start with 400 for deep scratches, then go over again with 2200, then finish with 3500 for a lovely mirror finish. I then apply a coat of Gtechniq C1 and Exo V3 over it to complete the process.

With a bit of luck it usually ends up like this:
26732369200_d2755368dd_k.jpg

OK, I understand. Your car looks amazing. I guess I'll be leaving it until I've stopped with the dust and purchase a DA then. The holograms would do me in

Before I invested in a machine I had really good results using Sonus hand polishing kit , cost around £18 and you get everything you need to remove scratches and swirl marks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back