Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

advice required for a non-porsche purchase

brownspeed

Imola
with annual mileage of around 6k, which is mainly local by Mrs Brownspeed, with occasional jaunts further afield. I'm looking for a Hatchback required for occasional trips to the tip, rear seat capacity for minimal useage.
I'm considering the following and would appreciate any comments from anyone who owns/has owned one.

Pre-facelift modern mini cooper
Fiat 500/595 abarth
sensible VWGolf.

your comments & suggestions are greatly appreciated-thanks in anticipation

On my third Abarth. Absolutely love them. They just make you smile.

Cheers Mark,
JUST WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!
what's it like on the motorway? (asked the bloke with the classic mini!:wack: )
any tips on what goes wrong/wears out or what to look for?
500 or 595? whaddya think?

crumbs, almost the same predicament as me.

Mrs has a new job, won't be taking the 997.
Cross city commute, 9 miles each way, traffic all the way.
Nippy, fun, relaible.

My current one is a 595 Competition, which has the bigger turbo and 180bhp.
The Series 3 and 4 Comps come with the bigger Brembo brakes too.
Comps come with the hardback Sabelt seats too.
Mine have all been 100% reliable.

Older ones can break the loom between boot and car causing the boot release not to work. Door handles can break; again there is a repair kit. Latest re-styled series 4 seem to have had a leap in build quality.

I think the sweet spots engine wise are the 135/140bhp and the 180bhp models. The 160bhp I had was a bit coarse versus the other two. Those two tend to be a bit more relaxing on the motorway too. They are all like going back a generation in comfort and refinement, but that brings its own charm.

I'd be tempted on a Mini Cooper SD. 2008+. Great fun and a bit of the 'old school' Mini about them apart from the bus sized steering wheel my wife had on her 850.

A bit plasticky but seem well built. Italian cars give me a sense of problems/bits dropping off.

CooperS if you're not bothered about petrol or derv

I've got my eye on a JCW Cooper SD new style but can't justify paying over £20k for a second hand one.

Had my eye on This. Hung around for a long time and not sure if it sold but it looked a good package for the money

My mrs has new mini (5 door) - looks very nice.

Quite spacious inside, loads of room in the boot.

Used it sometimes for even longer journeys and very smooth etc.

Great for local run arounds too.

They have some great deals if you are buying new.

Ive had a number of TDI Golfs, MK IV & MK5. The MK4 in particular I did 100k miles in it over 4.5 years. Was returning 68mpg on my daily commute and was quite nippy. Lovely car to drive, cost nothing to service and I only had a couple of minor electrical problems in all that time (flasher relay, brake switch & engine temp sensor all went). Boot was pretty big with the seats down - even used it to move house at one point.

Oh, I forgot to mention, whatever I get- it won't be a diesel-not on a 6k mileage.......never a consideration for me, we'd be forever unblocking the soot filter thingy.

Between me and the wife we have had all 3 cars on your short list so here's my 2 pence worth.

595 Abarth is fun and funky but typical itilian build quality and really small.

Mini is better build quality and size, my wife loved it but I always felt a plonker driving it (it a girls car!)

We had a Golf MK5 R32 which was a mistake (the R32 bit), we should have had the GTI and that would be my recommendation. Great build quality, very versatile and fun. It was the car that revived the GTI badge after the fat lazy Mk4 Golf.

How about a BMW 1-series? We had a similar dilemma and ended up with a 3 year old M135i. Cracking car. There has been another facelift on the 140i and 135i values are pretty reasonable now.

GP41 said:
How about a BMW 1-series? We had a similar dilemma and ended up with a 3 year old M135i. Cracking car. There has been another facelift on the 140i and 135i values are pretty reasonable now.

Good shout, I ran a 135i coupe for a year and loved it, great little cars and fast as well.

Had all the above and used and abused as driving school cars. The Golfs premier league the rest are championship at best.
The FIAT just hired one on holiday, nearly new car, impressive it lasted two days before breaking down! Nooooooooo

So I mentioned a Cooper SD 2008+ and I ended up buying a 2015 170bhp model with max'd out extras. Still under warranty and 5yrs all inclusive service plan which even throws in free MOTs. The boot is small but I haven't stopped grinning when driving it :grin:

Managed to land it on a good deal. Plus I manage to find somewhere to get the maps updated to latest version for £30 8)

This 'might' be the Monte Carlo trip car if I don't pick up a Cayman between now and May :floor:

ghNhGGUA.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back