Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Leak with antifreeze after a hard run

silvermilnec

Guys hope your all well and enjoying your cars in these summer months!

I've noticed a couple of times some drops of water (pink) and sweet tasting on the garage floor after a hard run only, not a normal run.

I got it up on the ramps while running and couldn't see anything.

Is there possibly a push on pipe that could be leaking when the pressure builds?? It's at the back of the car just off centre.

Cheers

At the back pretty much rules out the most common lateral pipes (feed & return for the rads)

Further cheap options are faulty expansion cap or split expansion tank.
Most expensive is the issue where the Mezger coolant lines enter the block. Engine out if its that, so hope not!

jonno_ said:
At the back pretty much rules out the most common lateral pipes (feed & return for the rads)

Further cheap options are faulty expansion cap or split expansion tank.
Most expensive is the issue where the Mezger coolant lines enter the block. Engine out if its that, so hope not!

Absolutely this. Major weak spots of these engines is the bonded coolant pipe inserts. These would show leaks under the engine.

Other common areas are in the midline, just forward of the engine where the arterial coolant lines pass. These are aluminium but have rubber hoses connecting to them at the engine end which can leak. A nip up of a jubo clip is often all thats needed there.

If the leak is around the engine compartment be very careful, the bonded coolant pipes rarely give any warning when about to fail but burst out when at full chat leaving a plume of steam behind you and releasing the entire coolant in a matter of seconds all over the road. Ask me how I know :eek:

Better get this checked before 2000 mile trip in august lol

The coolant totally clean.

How old is your car?

I hope you don't have a leaky pipe and it is just a leaky expansion cap.

I had a pipe leak and they ended up replacing all of the pipework.

Any crusting around the expansion cap?

My car used to use a bit of coolant but only when driven hard (track days, Euro trips), my garage found some crusting around the expansion cap so we replaced that and not used a drop since.

cheers guys, it's a 2009 gen 1.

I'll check it over next week, i'm away this weekend.

Do you know exactly where it is originating from?

I had a leak at the front but by the time it dripped it was near the middle of the car as it had run down the plastic tray before emerging.

The problem with the push in coolant flow and return pipes is that they get a build up of evaporated coolant round them which over time gets in behind the aluminium ring and then cracks the ring and hence a leak. I took mine out gave them a good clean with a soft wire brush, fitted a new O ring, put a bit of waxoyl round them and refitted. Only one had to replaced.

If your leak is from the engine bay area then you need to try and locate exactly where, as this could be a major PIA if it's not reachable.
The other place I had issues was the water pump, this leaks right at the rear on the near side, if it is a pump you can leave it for a while and it won't cause you major problems but just remember to keep an eye on the levels.

Just checked the expansion tank and yes some crust?

Attachments

• img_6054_389.jpg
    img_6054_389.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 7,974
Well that needs changing for a start off. The latest part number for the cap ends .04, yours ends .03.

Thats very unlikely to be the cause of your leak if you say it is anywhere towards the middle of the car. Leaks past expansion caps are usually as steam, occasionally the steam can condense in the specially made gutter around the top of the expansion tank (the 'gutter' is the moulded part of the tank you can see in your pic behind the min/max markings), then pour down the drain pipe and come out behind the passenger rear wheel.

:thumb:

Just done a prom run with daughter, got back parked in garage. Picture below.

Attachments

• img_6057_188.jpg
    img_6057_188.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 7,947
Umm it doesn't look like anti freeze.

Does it smell/taste like it?

To be fair it was raining so maybe that's not a leak sorry!

To be fair it was raining so maybe that's not a leak sorry!

Hi Mate,

I had a leak which only occurred after a long run, When the car was up to full operating temperature (so thermostat open and rad's in the loop)

The radiator return and feed pipes run through the front wheel well's, Which isn't the best design as they get covered in salt/road grime. This added to the fact they're aluminium push fits means they corrode and leak!

The most common appears to be front Left lower. So peer into the wheel well with some steering lock on and see if the subframe/pipes look damp! Mine was dripping down and tracing back with airflow.

Really easy to replace the lower one. If its the upper one, i believe this can be more difficult as the receptacle is also aluminium so they seize together!

Worth a look anyway. :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back