Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Led sidelights

Riccardo

Monza
I'm thinking about changing the standard factory sidellights, which have a yellowish tinge and clash with the Litronics. I suppose that the answer would be LED sidelights?

I recall an old and long thread about this but ultimately seemed inconclusive from memory (or too long and dated to make any sense of).

I'm just after some good quality, long lasting and error free lights. Any suggestions? Ideally from a good manufacturer, like Osram etc. Only interested in the front sidelights as for the rest I quite like the more "mellow" tinge of the standard bulbs inside.

Thanks for any advice!

There are 3 types of aftermarket sidelight plus the option of changing the bulb in your stock one for one that's not got an orange tint , if your staying stock on the front and rears I would suggest you just change the bulb in the sides for one that flashes orange but is not tinted orange. this type of thing in the link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-380-P2...342114&hash=item5b2a8928ad:g:6-gAAOSw9IpX0mtX

the three aftermarket types are and come in clear or smoked finishes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-9...ee50f27&pid=100033&rk=7&rkt=8&sd=391555655853

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PAIR-OF-BLAC...129486?hash=item3f5f23ec8e:g:pc4AAOSwHgVW7oD5

Phil, thank you for the quick reply.

I think I may have termed this wrongly... What I am after are the bulbs underneath the main headlights, position lights maybe? Anyways, not the indicators. They're only on 997.1s I think as the 997.2s had DRLs.

Aha sorry mate, misunderstood
OK to try and answer your question ,

IN 2015 the rules changed which affect MOTs you cannot install the HID or Led bulbs in any part of your headlights unless you have a levelling system and headlight wash fitted , this is to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

the reality is I had them fitted in my 997 gen1 for 3 years
2 mots done by regular garages never picked it up
1mot done by Porsche centre failed me due to this , I swapped them back and it passed, I then immediately changed them back to the LEDs.
never stopped by :cop:
So to answer your question yes they are nicer and work better and match the headlights better, but they are not strictly legal your call on if thats an issue to you or not .For me it was not an issue but do avoid the OPC for an MOT lol.
hope thats more the answer you wanted
:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks again for the reply, I hadn't realised that was the case re '15 legilsation change. Interesting to hear your experience with OPCs as I wouldn't have thought that the sidelights (which are outisde the main headlight) would apply.

What bulbs did you actually use?

Do you mean the dectane LED ? Which is the whole lamp ?

I'm confused :?:

It was a 5000 bright white bulb as I tried to avoid the blue tint of the stronger ones. I do agree with you re the side light and as you could understand if it was the headlight but they were adamant it applied to anything inside the headlight unit .

Your question has prompted me to have a look for more info , There are so many differing opinions some say its ok at less then 2000 luemens others say its ok if its clearly white , now I am questioning what I was told lol . even the bit in the DVLA wasnt completely clear on sidelights :pc: so I am going to have to say I cant be categorically sure my OPC mot tester was right on what he told me . :dont know: sorry mate more digging needed lol :thumb:

Alfaian said:
Do you mean the dectane LED ? Which is the whole lamp ?

I'm confused :?:

Ian, I think reccardo means the lower bulb in the main headlight unit . not the light unit in the bumper mate.

:lol: cheers phil. Wondered where you'd been :cigar:

Alfaian said:
:lol: cheers phil. Wondered where you'd been :cigar:

:grin: weather got warm mate so I was enjoying it while it lasted . winters back again now though lol

Sorry guys, I probably haven't explained it well enough. What I am referring to is the bulb in the part as per pic attached.

Just want to swap the yellow-ish halogen one for a white, Litronic matching, one while keeping the original unit etc. Referring to the sidelight, not the inidcator.

Thanks!

Attachments

• indicator_212.jpg
    indicator_212.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 5,721
I would be interested in this too. I can't see how changing the sidelight bulb (as in the one pictured above) would affect an MOT as it would be no different to fitting the Dectane LEDs (which I don't like on the front). Changing from the yellow to a nice bright white would lift the whole front imo.

Aha that front section the one in the bumper. forget everything I said about MOTs etc thats if you mess with the headlights.
Yes very easy to do go to your local motor bits get them to fit a canbus error free white bulb and while there get a clear bulb that flashes yellow for the indicator part. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks again Phil. I need to buy the bulbs online as we don't have any motor factors in central London... You see, they all have become "lovely" 1 and 2 bed flats many years ago now, along with most petrol stations and mechanics...

So, what I need is some indication as to what I am buying. Is there a wattage, fitting, colour indication... etc.

Thanks again! :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back