Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo - Where do I go next?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastclassic

Newbie here, I have viewed the site for years however never participated, partly because most 
of the answers are already documented, great stuff. 

Anyway, all the recent talk of 996 & 997 Turbos has got me pondering. I am a long term (4+ years) owner 
of a fabulous low owner 996 Turbo manual coupe, I have owned a few good high end cars in my time and  
really find it a challenge of where to go to next, I actually want the experience of getting excited  
about a prospective new purchase, though for the life of me I cannot focus on another model to 
pursue, has anyone else had this dilemma? 

This is not helped by the fact that I am a long term Porsche Turbo driver, I have owned early 930s 
964s and 993 cars, so I understand the whole progression, each car has got better fair to say with 
the very new models being exceptional. I love the driver connection in my 6 and to a point they still 
retain the feel of the earlier cars with of course a lot more power. My car has had mild tuning,  
500 bhp or so and have become very accustomed to this power on tap. A very recent write up on here 
explains these cars very well. I enjoy the thrill of turbocharged motoring, its not that I
dont appreciate N/A cars, all motor as the yanks say, the turbo shove is very addictive and
difficult to get away from however accept we are all different

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=121567&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 

So what do I go for? Can I hope to get as good a car as I have now? 60K budget.

If it's possible to increase your budget slightly then it has to be the PDK 997.2 turbo :)

Stick with what you have. With a budget of £60k you could get some pretty serious mods done to it. Nothing will compare to it then. Otherwise it really depends on what you want from a car with regards to feel, smoothness, handling, how the power is delivered, what the sound is like.

MC

westcoastclassic said:
AdeD said:
If it's possible to increase your budget slightly then it has to be the PDK 997.2 turbo :)

Thanks, had considered this, though it has to be manual, I appreciate how accomplished the Gen 2 7T is with PDK, however I have a good gearbox like that in my BMW daily.
Perhaps modification is the only way

Where are you based? There are so many well modded 996 turbos around that I am sure somebody can take you out for a spin. Personally I can't comprehend buying a car for more perormance than my 996 has as it is nkw. Totally pointless unless you are just doing VMAX events or similar.

MC

Where are you based? There are so many well modded 996 turbos around that I am sure somebody can take you out for a spin. Personally I can't comprehend buying a car for more perormance than my 996 has as it is nkw. Totally pointless unless you are just doing VMAX events or similar.

MC[/quote]

Perthshire.
I rarely see another one on the road up here. I had considered an R8, it would have to be a V10 manual, up the budget a bit. This would appeal, or would it? performance wise maybe about the same as my car, lots more drama of course, and they look superb.
Mods wise I don't want to go too far, I have insisted up until now in keeping my exhaust standard, so it just got a really good map, uprated DV and panel filter. I get a solid 1.0 bar of boost on demand and will spike now and then at 1.1 1.2 on a cold crisp morning. Its hard to imagine it faster actually at some times, though I know it can go much more.
Without getting into mega bucks what else can I do?
RSS engine mounts were next.
Bigger turbos are dear, as are intercoolers, am I overlooking anything?
I have to justify the expense as I have other cars to maintain, the wife's, my own daily, the daughters, and my sons projects.

Personally I can't comprehend buying a car for more perormance than my 996 has as it is nkw. Totally pointless unless you are just doing VMAX events or similar.

MC[/quote]

I agree with that remark, and I am not power hungry, in truth I drive the car infrequently but when I do I always open it up in gears 3 4 and 5 just the once where circumstances allow, to clear it all out and give the brakes a good shove. The rest of the time it gets babied. Its strange how quickly big power becomes the norm, and you find yourself wondering if the car is getting slower or you are becoming harmonised with the power. More is the nature of many things, I don't like brash though, and that's why I left the exhaust well alone, I enjoy the stealth, and the fact its non obtrusive and can pull up to public places without everyone hearing you first, lets face it you don't need to put your hand up in a 911 Turbo for everyone to see you........

If you are getting in to justification then I am afraid you are stuffed. As you say it is quick enough as it is. Bigger turbos, better intercoolers, LWFW with stronger clutch, bigger fuelling system. Then you are in to real fun stuff like 3.8l conversions with different rods, head studs, head work and camshafts, then the gearbox and drivetrain work to go it. By then you really can't be thinking in any sensible way other than doing it 'because you can'. It is a slippery slope. A steep and long one.

MC

It sounds like your natural progression would be to a 997.1T.

You'll get a very nice manual car for your £60k.

Get your new car excitement fix by deciding what colour combo you want and enjoy the hunt.

Have fun :thumb:

T8 said:
It sounds like your natural progression would be to a 997.1T.

You'll get a very nice manual car for your £60k.

Get your new car excitement fix by deciding what colour combo you want and enjoy the hunt.

Have fun :thumb:

I thought the 60k was the budget for upgrades :eek:

MC

I changed mine for something else because I was sick of getting an upset tummy every time I looked at the front and explaining to others it was not a Boxster

:grin: :grin: :grin:

The 996 Turbo is a good car, I can only see a change worth while if you want something better looking or with a better interior / tech.

Hi OP :welcome:

Fellow Scot but based in London now :thumb:

I changed my '6 turbo to a '7 turbo 6 months and 11k miles ago. My advice would be try a few '7 turbo and then decide. The '6 turbo platform is immense. The changes to the '7 are all evolutionary steps on to of that superb starting point. Are the worth the £10-15k extra you'll likely pay to get into one? Only you can decide that.

My advice is with value increases slowing on both, take your time and first of all see if the change is what you want. It might not be :thumbs:

It's not a £10-15k gap anymore. I could have bought a 7t for less than I spent on my new 6t.
A manual 7t with around 70k miles and a manual 6t with around 50k miles are now same money (the gap may even be tighter than that, in some cases a comparable 6 is more)
It is now a personal choice rather than a financial one!

(and I suspect 6t's will surpass 7's values in the near future as folk now realise it's the best Turbo 911 of the lot :) )

3point6 said:
It's not a £10-15k gap anymore. I could have bought a 7t for less than I spent on my new 6t.
A manual 7t with around 70k miles and a manual 6t with around 50k miles are now same money (the gap may even be tighter than that, in some cases a comparable 6 is more)
It is now a personal choice rather than a financial one!

(and I suspect 6t's will surpass 7's values in the near future as folk now realise it's the best Turbo 911 of the lot :) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D5Sa2Yq-2g

:thumb:

Boba fett said:
I changed mine for something else because I was sick of getting an upset tummy every time I looked at the front and explaining to others it was not a Boxster

:grin: :grin: :grin:

The 996 Turbo is a good car, I can only see a change worth while if you want something better looking or with a better interior / tech.

This may stun a few people however I actually prefer the 6 look over the 7. Somehow too chunky and blown up for me, it does not look as fine and sculpted as the 6 or as the older cars were. I get the front end not being the best however the rear is as good as any Turbo, so for me its not really better looking. The cabin in the 7 at first impression looks better however I had a boxster with the same cabin virtually on loan one weekend and the interior just felt like a BMW or Audi, the older cars interior whilst flawed does feel Porsche, at least to me.

I get why the 7 should be the natural progression, I guess I am just not feeling it. I could get a really nice 997T for the money yes, in terms of performance it may not feel quicker than my mapped car and I also gather that the steering lost a good bit of feel and the Turbos are not as punchy. This only from what I have read and hear as I have not tested one, guys that I talk to who have owned both confirm this, and many of them say its not worth the jump, the cars are different but not in a better way necessarily. So this is why I am at this crossroads, aside the 7T there is not really any other Porsche in my sights within my budget, so do I move away for a while and try something else?

Who has owned both a 6 & 7 T and then owned an R8 V10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back