Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coil Pack or MAF Issue?

Jam911

Albert Park
Does anyone know how to spot what the problem could be between a coil pack issue or MAF sensor issue?

The car was gong fine. Very hot day. Got about a mile.

Suddenly Check Engine Light came on and awful miss fire.

Turned off and restarted.

Limped one mile home and the car sounded and drove like it was not firing on all cylinders.

Car now needs recovering from 100 miles away.

I am hoping it is the coil packs but also it could be the MAF, is there a giveaway symptom?

Nightmare.

Thanks

Try taking the maf sensor out and see if it sounds better. If not then it's a cracked coil.

Certainly sounds like a coil pack, changed mine over the winter. It's not an OPC job, any competent mechanic will be able to do them and if they have a diagnostic unit they can probably tell which pack it is. If your doing one do them all, best price I got was design911 get the plugs changed at the same time.

Jam911 said:
Does anyone know how to spot what the problem could be between a coil pack issue or MAF sensor issue?

The car was gong fine. Very hot day. Got about a mile.

Suddenly Check Engine Light came on and awful miss fire.

Turned off and restarted.

Limped one mile home and the car sounded and drove like it was not firing on all cylinders.

Car now needs recovering from 100 miles away.

I am hoping it is the coil packs but also it could be the MAF, is there a giveaway symptom?

Nightmare.

Thanks

Are you south coast Jam if so there a mobile porsche tech who could come to the car find which coil pack and sort it or the maff its that but it does sound more coil pack from your description .let me know if you need his number. :thumb:

Thanks for the insights, I will report back when the car is fixed.

The problem was 2 failed coil packs.

Replacing all 6 as it seems like the best idea.

Yes good plan, replace them all and the plugs and keep receipt so they don't charge you again for doing them at the service interval.

easternjets said:
Yes good plan, replace them all and the plugs and keep receipt so they don't charge you again for doing them at the service interval.

:agree: very good advise :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back