Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCM 2 -3 retrofit

tgdesign

Hi Guys

I was going to do this upgrade from PCM 2.1 to 3 on my 997s about a year ago but as I decided I wasn't keep the car for that long I decided against it.
Now I have a new car 997t and love it but its only a gen 1 again , so its time to change the nav to a PCM 3.

I have most of the parts just need the heater control , Nic and one or two more parts.
But before I start the project I wanted to understand if you can still obtain the code from a code cracker or someone.
Has anyone got any details of who I can get them from etc.
Or any more information about the retrofit

Cheers

Tim

I think Monster here may be able to help with a contact.
Worth a pm perhaps.

jonno_ said:
I think Monster here may be able to help with a contact.
Worth a pm perhaps.

I second that he did a hell of a good job with his and worked out all the wiring , he also did a post on here about it so might be worth a search .. i think it was 18 monthes ago.

isysman has also recently done this (with the help of Monster).

I know a chap who can get the codes generated, they cost a few hundred euros depending on what options you want, he did mine

You need a piwis to get them uploaded though.

PM me if you want his details sending over

I wouldn't bother PCM3 is shoite I'd go for an aftermarket unit.

It is a full on job. Drove me nuts at times but I'm happy I did it. Now we just have to figure out how to get the latest one in with Carpkay! :D

With the exception of the AMP which needs to be placed somewhere a bit "awkward", you will get a factory look finish - and it will look very "clean" - aftermarket means running mics etc in awkward places which will be visible, and likely having to chop wires, and sound from your expensive Bose system will never be quite right.

Its a huge undertaking, and I wouldn't want to do it again, but it is worth it for the bluetooth and satin black finish.

Must admit the satnav is still crap, and I use Waze on my phone when I need to.

Anyone here done a pcm 4 retrofit out of interest?
Does the unit size work in a 997?
What are the features like?

Question OP. Why do you want a PCM unit when there are way way way better aftermarket options out there which (in my opinion) look much much better?

for example, heres my Pioneer unit.

20160720_161932%201.jpg

Assuming you have a half decent smartphone you really should be getting something with apple carplay, android auto etc and compared to even the nav on PCM4, nothing gets close to google nav and Waze.

I don't think there is any way to make PCM4 work I was just kidding. I doubt you could get the codes even if you somehow made it fit which I don't see how it would.

If like me you want to make the car look stock but update it then PCM3 is the only way. I don't like the aftermarket look even though I'm sure the functionality is very good.

The car currently has a Pioneer unit in it not sure of model it is.
I think it 3-4 years old, but I do like the PCM 3 look better.

What was the most difficult area of the retro fit to do ?

I have the wiring diagrams for the bose amps and nav units .Are the sport button s etc and gen 1.5 aircon/ heater unit plug and play?

If I have this right, this is what needs doing

1, Use a Quadlock to connect the wiring on the PCM 3 to car

2 Ring terminators optic on cad changer,old phone module.
or can you remove them ?

3, Re-pin plug for bose amp and move to new position.

4, Change mic to gen2 mic ?

5, fit usb & ipod fitment under arm rest and run cable to Nav unit.

6, Can you use gen 1 GPs aerial ?

7, Get codes loaded using Pwisi ,are they a file or just a numerical number coded to input.

:thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• img_5649_164.jpeg
    img_5649_164.jpeg
    204.9 KB · Views: 6,867
  • img_5648_615.jpeg
    img_5648_615.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 6,867
Fired you a PM Tim :thumb:

Those sheets of paper brought on sweats and flash backs!

isysman said:
Those sheets of paper brought on sweats and flash backs!

Haha!! Ditto :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back