Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Explanation Required

jotaking

Just been watching a youtube video of 997 T vs GT3 at the Nurbergring.

I was quite surprised at how the "stock" turbo on "street tyres" brushed off the GT3 contingent?

My hypotheses are: -

1. 997 Turbo driver is Lewis Hamilton
2. GT3 drivers aren't pushing hard and are willing to back off to let T through?
3. 997 T is not stock and not on street tyres?

I know that the T has a HP advantage, however, I thought all the aero, weight saving and "cat-like" agility of the GT3 would have left the T standing on the twisty stuff??

**Edit for youtube linky - Thanks to Apollokreid for the "geek tip" :D

It is difficult to comment on the video as You Tube says it does not exist. Maybe it has been pulled or there has been some error in uploading.

Maybe Porsche have asked for it to be pulled :D :D .

The bottom line is unless it is a controlled environment the Nordschleife is such that you should not be surprized to see a Mini passing a Porsche. Different drivers, modifications, weather, Touristfahrt or closed track day and busy or quiet on track all have an effect on who comes first.

Not everyone wants to risk their pride and joy and Porsche are not as common place on 'the Ring' as they used to be.

Pip

Hi, that link does not work for me, has it been removed?

I think I have it....

Here is another, a stock 997 turbo is still a good track car in the hands of a good driver (which I am not).

Yeah, track days are not a good indicator of how good a car is when you look at videos. The only real way to tell is to have the same driver test the different cars and time them to compare.

The difference between a very good driver and a good driver is massive. Many track day enthusiasts are good drivers, but put someone behind the wheel who really knows how to pilot a car and its amazing.

I remember when I was getting instruction for my ARDS licence, the tutor was an ex Formula 3 world champion. That was the day I realised I will never be in what I would class as the 'very good' category.

apollokre1d said:
I think I have it....

That's the one....thanks for that.

I used the youtube tags with the full url? I don't think the forum likes that??

Back to the vid...

I agree, some of the GT3's look like they are cruising, however there is one towards the end of the vid (7.03) where it looks to be driven in anger and yet the T strolls past it?

Nothing wrong with the way a turbo handles on the track, and they have a lot of power too. Granted, there's probably more skill and art (possibly more fun too) to pedalling a GT3 around faster, but a turbo is, by no means, the lardy disappointment on track it's general reputation would suggest.

As others say here, there's also variations in skill and stupidity of the pilots too. Plus, for all any of us know, the 991 GT3 might have been 'showing' his mate in the 997 GT3 around - the former being more experienced and the latter trying to learn the lines from him. We don't know.

The turbo isn't standard in my book....far from it. To be able to launch past GT3S like that would require 700bhp+.

mm450exc said:
It's obvious they were not driving.

This ^^

Even the turbo wasn't that quick..8.25 ish BTG. Lots of traffic certainly but top speeds at some of the fastest sections were pretty normal. The great thing about turbocharged 911 at TF is you have so much grunt getting that getting back up to a decent lick after being baulked by traffic is a lot easier than in the nasp gt3.

The car did not sound standard.

Not in English, however worth a watch with the caption translate tool.

GT3 104.62
997 T 104.95

The explanation to op is very simple. The 911 turbo is a massively capable car and it will take a skilled pilot in a GT3 to see one off. And of course, the driver is a massive ingredient to the equation.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back