Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing the Sat Nat Console with something more modern

911DG

Hi Guys,

Me again :) The sat nav i'll never use as i have my phone and the stereo is a tad outdated with no bluetooth etc etc.

Has anyone swapped it out, presume so? If so any recommendations please?
Or is there a device that can be hooked up to whats already installed so it can Bluetooth a phone to it for BOTH calls and Music?

Cheers muchly :thumb:

Dan

I have this, a Pioneer SPH DA120, in mine.

20160222_143853_1.jpg

It's probably been replaced in the model line up but works very well, looks great and can still be brought new. It has Apple Carplay, and Mirrorlink for Android, so you can link your phone to it and use lots of apps on it instead of on your phone. Personally, I still use my phone without connecting it.

If you have steering wheel controls you will need a lead to make it all work, and same goes for Bose, those are about another £250. All in, I was about £550 fitted, but the unit was on sale and Halfords did free fitting at the time, which they don't do anymore. Now, PCM2.1 can be sold for about £350 to £400 so overall, it isn't expensive to do. There are other units which will include a Sat Nav built in, but for me, you can't beat Google Navigation or Waze.

I would say, get someone to fit unless you are practiced at that sort of thing. It isn't simple, there are all sorts of things which need correcting right, like the amp powers up based on a connection to the electric aerial switch, which the extra leads don't connect, but can be done.

My unit gives me 2 USB connections (in the glovebox) which I use to connect my Ipod and the other to charge my phone. Then it has bluetooth and phone connection built in, so overall does everything you need.

Ahh, that was older pic when the surround was the wrong colour, now corrected :)

20160720_161932.jpg

I have a mobridge unit in mine. It plugs into the optical circuit between the amp and the head unit. Its a box which gives the original system bluetooth ability.

So as soon as I turn the car on, my phone automatically links to the head unit and works through the headunit for calls etc.

You can apparently also stream music straight from your phone through it, but ive not had the car coded yet using piwis to turn that on.

Like others, i use my phone for satnav & everything so only am really using the oe head unit as an amp.

One thing to consider (if you are an iPhone owner) is that CarPlay Wifi enabled head units are on the horizon - so no connecting via crappy Bluetooth you connect via wifi which has a high data rate etc

The Alpine iL-107 has been close to release for some time and I intend to swap my head unit once released.

resigner said:

20160222_143853_1.jpg

It's probably been replaced in the model line up but works very well, looks great and can still be brought new. It has Apple Carplay, and Mirrorlink for Android, so you can link your phone to it and use lots of apps on it instead of on your phone. Personally, I still use my phone without connecting it.

If you have steering wheel controls you will need a lead to make it all work, and same goes for Bose, those are about another £250. All in, I was about £550 fitted, but the unit was on sale and Halfords did free fitting at the time, which they don't do anymore. Now, PCM2.1 can be sold for about £350 to £400 so overall, it isn't expensive to do. There are other units which will include a Sat Nav built in, but for me, you can't beat Google Navigation or Waze.

I would say, get someone to fit unless you are practiced at that sort of thing. It isn't simple, there are all sorts of things which need correcting right, like the amp powers up based on a connection to the electric aerial switch, which the extra leads don't connect, but can be done.

My unit gives me 2 USB connections (in the glovebox) which I use to connect my Ipod and the other to charge my phone. Then it has bluetooth and phone connection built in, so overall does everything you need.

Hi Resigner, I am getting this fitted next week, just to be clear google and waze maps dont work on the screen (apple carplay only allows apple maps) - unless your iphone is jailbroken of course!

Nastymatt said:
One thing to consider (if you are an iPhone owner) is that CarPlay Wifi enabled head units are on the horizon - so no connecting via crappy Bluetooth you connect via wifi which has a high data rate etc

The Alpine iL-107 has been close to release for some time and I intend to swap my head unit once released.

My fitter told me that Alpine UK have told him that it is three to four months away - I assume to coincide with the launch of the new iPhones.

I'm hanging on too. The Alpine 700 is the cleanest looking, non-aftermarket looking device I've seen.

Not wanting to appear daft but one obvious question with these after market replacements - can you still access the Porsche menu's i.e. sports chrono, mpg, lights delay etc. ??

Carrerascott said:
Not wanting to appear daft but one obvious question with these after market replacements - can you still access the Porsche menu's i.e. sports chrono, mpg, lights delay etc. ??

In short - no.
You lose access to some of the non audio menu stuff BUT some can be accessed through the main instrument cluster - such as sport chrono and mpg.
I didn't miss anything when I did mine and the upgrade is sooo much better.

I went the whole hog and fitted a a new 5 Chanel amp in the frunk so removed all the fibre optic stuff (or rather just disconnected it) and ran RCA cables from the head unit through the firewall. I then also replaced the 4 main speakers with modern alpine units. I also fitted a reverse camera.

A nice DIY project IMHO. Not too hard - just take your time. Loads of help out there.

911DG said:
Hi Guys,

Me again :) The sat nav i'll never use as i have my phone and the stereo is a tad outdated with no bluetooth etc etc.

Has anyone swapped it out, presume so? If so any recommendations please?
Or is there a device that can be hooked up to whats already installed so it can Bluetooth a phone to it for BOTH calls and Music?

Cheers muchly :thumb:

Dan
Hi Dan,
I'm new on this forum but not on the Porsche scene, I decided to keep my HU & just update it with the tranzitblu, streams music and calls through bluetooth and via a preset FM radio station.
I'm no audiophile but calls are clear & music sounds good.
I updated the look by repainting the whole stack to piano black.

Attachments

• dsc06371new_130.jpg
    dsc06371new_130.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 8,069
I'm just about to attempt fitting the Pioneer unit myself. My 997 doesn't have Bose, but has sat nav and phone - does anyone know if this means it has the MOST optic cabling? I've also got steering wheel controls so trying to work out which connects2 cable to buy.

Also does anyone know of a simple guide to the extra connections needed e.g. I understand the radio antenna needs power.

Cheers!

911DG said:
Hi Nikos,

Is this the one? Was it easy to fit? Works ok with original interface?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iSimple-Hands-Free-Calling-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00FRU5UNA

911DG that's the one.
It's super easy to fit.
You just have to take off the side bolsters, pop out the HU, I didn't cut any wires I just went for the wire tap, routed the microphone wire and job done.
HU screen shows which song is playing and who is calling.
You have to get the right adapter for the HU antenna, I'll try and see if I can find which one I ordered.
Nick

That would be great - thanks Nikos. I'll probably get someone to fit it as I'm useless with that kinda stuff but looks like just what I need !

resigner said:

20160222_143853_1.jpg
You Sir, have excellent taste in music.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back