Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911uk Croatian Road Trip 3743 miles in 10 days

infrasilver

This was going to be a mission with the distance that we were due to be covering. Originally the plan was to go to Montenegro but the more we investigated we found out that most breakdown companies don't cover this region and also insurers won't cover you, although you can buy Insurance at the border. Needless to say we decided that the furthest point would now be Dubrovnik, this did mean driving through Bosnia, again without Insurance or breakdown cover but as it was only 6 miles we risked it.
The cars are getting more exotic each year and as it was originally a 911 tour the numbers are dwindling, this year we had an F12, Speciale and McLaren in addition to Chimps 430 Scud, and RichyD's GT4, the 911's were 997 Turbo, two 993 Targa's and my 996 Targa.

The final plan was to start at Ulm Germany and go through Austria into Slovenia and on to Croatia for three days, on the way back we also visited Hungary, then back through Austria.

Day one was just a run through France to get to the jumping off point of Ulm. We took the route past Reims and and crossed over to Germany around the Strasbourg area some 630 miles. We are all carrying Sanef tags so the toll booths are dealt with much quicker.

Most of us met at the tunnel and we just had one more car to pick up on the other side at the Total station in Calais, as Anthony in his 993 was already over in France.

On the way through it was decided that we would nip into old GP circuit of Reims at Gueux as some hadn't visited before, we caused quite a stir. Chimp had missed this on previous attempts to visit and again he missed the opportunity.

Spotted this Paris car driving by.

We made it to Ulm and after a couple of beer on the boardwalk of the lake at our hotel we headed out into town for the evening.

Rabble.

For day 2 we were heading into Austria and we stopping up in the mountains of Grossglockner that night.

The roads around Austria are great and always have a smooth surface, there's always a decent photo opportunity, so here are a few.

Room with a view.

And then the view was gone.

Days three to nine to follow.

Fantastic trip :worship: Great pics :thumbs:

Looking forward to the next instalments. :envy:

Good start Chris :thumb:

Great stuff Chris :thumb:

Great photos. I always enjoy reading about the trips.

MC

Wow looks a fab trip :thumb:

Loving the colour and stripes on the grey Ferrarri, looks like a brilliant trip.

:worship:

I've been following a few videos on twitter , that f12 is something else :thumb:

Wow, what a great trip. I really need to do something like this. :worship:

What page will buttongate be on?

Can't wait.

:popcorn:

😄

Day 3's final destination was on the island of Krk in Croatia, this was the first time most of us had ventured this far on a road trip. We set off from Grossglockner reasonably early and we said goodbye to the Speciale and McLaren as they were only with us for 2 days and headed back to the UK today.

We headed out of Austria and into Slovenia, the weather was forecast to be wet and it certainly was, the roads in Slovenia seemed to be quite nice but we couldn't push on too hard as it was a little slippery.

We stopped for lunch as the heaven opened but it was still warm enough to sit out.

We crossed the bridge over to Krk and regrouped for the final drive into the town.

The weather did get better as we entered Croatia and Krk,. Tonight's hotel was my choice and if it wasn't for some tactical voting it would have won.

Some of the boys braved the icy waters and sharp rocks.

The old town of Krk was nice.

Checked on the cars before final beers at the hotel and bed.

Day 4 and we woke up to some better weather and were hoping for some stunning views, we weren't disappointed.

The Adriatic is quite a bright colour of blue and coastline was quite rugged.

35794078831_0d41f8c637_k.jpg

35925894275_12bedfa00a_k.jpg

35116746033_1e2e5e0c1c_k.jpg

Lunch stop.

The Bosnian border guards seemed good humoured and not as serious as we expected, they even demanded photos of themselves in some of the cars before letting them in the country.

Arriving in Dubrovnik.

And chilling at the hotel before heading into town.

The city is a very pretty place and the night was a very long one, taking us out until daylight.

5am

Dubrovnik was our turning point and as far as we were to go, next stop was Split in Croatia heading back north.

Days five to nine to follow.

MisterCorn said:
Great photos. I always enjoy reading about the trips.

MC

+1 :thumb:

We did a school trip to Krk when I was a kid......33 years ago :eek:

Look forward to the next instalment :thumbs:

What a great way to see some very nice places and with no hint of trouble. Wish I had the time and the balls to go. Fantastic write up

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back