Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New boxster S oil leak from coil pack

silvermilnec

Hi guys I picked up a 66k miles 2001 boxster S today.

The drive hope was perfect hood down 60 miles from Notts to Leeds.

Steering felt tight, gearbox smooth, clutch a bit heavy but smooth and even.

Suspension felt like you could really trust it when you put it in to corners.

Very enjoyable!

I got it up on the ramp and everything looks well except both sides of the engine a oil leak from what looks like both middle coil packs. These are all new and only put on recently. I've never worked on them is it an easy job?

Cheers guys

Attachments

• img_6007_928.jpg
    img_6007_928.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 4,115
Can`t really help with the oil leak, but that is a very strange choice of location for a photo shoot :grin:

Hey! Congrats on a lovely little motor! 996.1 GT3 wheels too, I think they are lovely personally.

Coil packs are very easy to change, especially if on a ramp. Remove the rear wheels (not absolutely necessary) and you have easy access. The packs are held in place by 2 allen head bolts.

I'd be very surprised if there was an oil leak from the coil packs, especially if they are new. Could the oil be coming from above, or the variocam solenoids, or from the RMS/IMS seal and being splashed over the sides?

As usual in these cases a picture speaks a thousand words.

Happy to help if you need advice :thumb:

kurlykris said:
Can`t really help with the oil leak, but that is a very strange choice of location for a photo shoot :grin:

Your right it was, but I live in Leeds and my mum passed away in march and she buried in Doncaster I couldn't pass by on the A1 without popping in.

ragpicker said:
Hey! Congrats on a lovely little motor! 996.1 GT3 wheels too, I think they are lovely personally.

Coil packs are very easy to change, especially if on a ramp. Remove the rear wheels (not absolutely necessary) and you have easy access. The packs are held in place by 2 allen head bolts.

I'd be very surprised if there was an oil leak from the coil packs, especially if they are new. Could the oil be coming from above, or the variocam solenoids, or from the RMS/IMS seal and being splashed over the sides?

As usual in these cases a picture speaks a thousand words.

Happy to help if you need advice :thumb:

The oil looks like it's coming from the middle coil pack on either side so your right maybe it's from above and running down each side. I'll put a picture up tomorrow. Cheers for the help.

infrasilver said:
Could well be the spark plug tube O rings leaking.

Yeah, was just about to suggest that when I logged in this morning. I've got a full set of spark plug tubes with o-rings somewhere that you're welcome to. Mind you I don't think they are expensive and dead easy to get hold of.

:thumb:

ragpicker said:
infrasilver said:
Could well be the spark plug tube O rings leaking.

Yeah, was just about to suggest that when I logged in this morning. I've got a full set of spark plug tubes with o-rings somewhere that you're welcome to. Mind you I don't think they are expensive and dead easy to get hold of.

:thumb:

The coil packs have just been changed by an indi, I spoke to them today and they said sounds like the o rings on the spark plug tube.

Thanks for your help guys, I'll get it done and report back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back