Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PSM Safety Issue - Anyone Got A Systems Diagram?

poppopbangbang

Nurburgring
Here's a good one, sweeping corner trail braking into the apex saw the PSM activate which resulted in one front brake locking on and a shed load of understeer. Post corner it took a good few kicks of the brake pedal to get the caliper to release.

Luckily this was on the circuit not a B road or it would have been Porsche in Ditch time!

ABS Activation doesn't recreate the problem even at high speeds and long periods of ABS activation but the problem is recreatable with PSM activation.

Does anyone have a systems diagram here that I can try to work out the failure mode? Immediate thoughts are a one way has failed somewhere and it's back pressuring the master!

Only fault code showing is a pressure sensor failure.

Obviously rather a big safety issue so I'll share any findings for future reference.

Check your sensor and reluctor ring on the opposite wheel, same axle.

alex yates said:
Check your sensor and reluctor ring on the opposite wheel, same axle.

100% not that as I log individual wheel speeds, that's how I confirmed which wheel locked up and how I've validated it is not happening under ABS, no matter how small a lock (i.e. brake pressure is lazy to come off the wheel). I did this check as it's not uncommon for corrosion or debris to block a valve in the ABS valve block which results in the wheel staying locked up after the ABS has ended activation. However on mine it is definitely only happening under PSM with the brake pedal "stiffening" accordingly.

Would a grubby wheel speed trigger really spoof it? If so that is pretty terrible system design and very un-Bosch like :lol:

My left rear reluctor ring split and it caused my right rear caliper to keep actuating and the car juddering, disc overheating etc without even going near the brake pedal.

Don't forget it was the 1st version of PSM on the 911 so probably was pretty naff.

It appears to be the booster pump (or pre-charge pump as it appears to be called in the Porsche book). With it unplugged all systems work (aside from PSM) as they should with zero issue or drama (even getting into the brakes at over 1G lateral). With the pump reconnected 0.15G lateral and 10 bar of brake pressure is enough for it to pressure up the front brake circuit.

When provoking the fault code 4460 is logged which reports back as pressure sensor failure or value implausible, I think this is because there is still pressure reading when it should be zero because the pump is back feeding the master.

I have a spare on the way so will change it and report back.

Cool. Will be interesting to find out :thumb:

Proved today - with a different booster pump fitted but everything else identical the problem isn't there regardless of what slip angles and brake pressures you generate.

I'm going to dissect the old pump to see what the failure is!

:thumb: :worship:

Love these posts where the answer is found!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back