Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gearbox Type

bodmin

Trainee
Quick question. How do I tell if I have a G50/20 or a G50/21 gearbox in my 1996 C2?

Just curious if there is an easy way of establishing this.

In the absence of a sensible answer I suggest you should rev your car to the limiter in 2nd gear and watch the speedo.

70mph(ish) = G50/21 ie. shorter ratios
75mph(ish) = G50/20

Another way to tell is that at 80mph in 6th, the '21' revs at 3000rpm, the '20' a fair bit lower than that.

I'm sure my car has this gearbox but I've forgotten how I found this out.

The speedo check should work.

My service book has the gearbox number in it so yours may also have it.

Yes mine has it in the service book, on the white sticker they put in there which details the specifics of the vehicle.

Mines a G50-20 box, not sure where and why they used a 21?, anyone know?.

Trev

Earlier non-vario models used the G50 -21 closer ratio box with the 'sweet spot' being at the cross over when some variothingy models got the 21 also.....

You can feel the difference with the earlier box.

Ok just been out and 80 mph = 2850 rpm in 6th gear, so it looks like I have a G50/20. I'll check the service book when I get home tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

Here are the relative gear ratios in terms of mph per 1000rpm, according to my calculations.

Gear....G50/21........G50/20
1st.........5.7..............5.7
2nd.......10.1............10.6
3rd........13.9............15.3
4th........17.4.............19.3
5th........21.1.............23.3
6th........26.4.............27.7

Now even more confused.

Having done the speed trial which pointed to a G50/20 gearbox, I now have checked my service book which shows G5021-20.

Is this 21 or a 20??

Bodmin, your is a G50 21 my friend, so the closer ratio box found on the MY96 and earlier vehicles.

My Manual says G5020 - 10, so the longer ratio box found on the MY97 and onwards to help noise and emissions.

BTW be careful with posting your full chassis number on the public tinters site.

Trev

In fact the T in your chassis number, digit 10, shows your car is indeed a MY 96 so would have a G5021 box.

10th letter in my chassis number is V (MY1997) so has the later G5020 box.

All is well with the world.

Trev

BTW what made you ask the question in the first place?.

Hi Trev -thanks for that very informed summary. I can now sleep soundly knowing without doubt what transmits the power to my rear wheels.

Cameltoe & Heel said:
BTW what made you ask the question in the first place?.

Just curiosity - saw some correspondence elsewhere about this - may just have been a car for sale which specifically mentioned which gearbox was fitted.

Noticed you are based in Preston. I flew over Preston in an autogyro last Wednesday at around 1445hrs. Very low level as was flying under the Warton Military Air Traffic Zone. You may have heard me if you were there as that gyro makes a hell of a noise!

Cameltoe & Heel said:
BTW be careful with posting your full chassis number on the public tinters site.

Deleted the picture with my chassis number on your advice. Thanks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back