Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

just purchased a 2016 turbo 991 paddle steering wheel,

robbiej

what Airbag do I need and will it fit OK on a tip 997

listing
2016 PORSCHE 911 991 TURBO BLACK LEATHER PDK STEERING WHEEL WITH PADDLES

Attachments

• turbo_469.jpg
    turbo_469.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 8,402
In addition to it fitting I'd be interested to know if the multi-function (knob?) and heating element (assuming this wheel has it) on the steering wheel works :?:

Gosh i must be living in the dark ages, heated steering wheel....never knew that. It does look rather nice though

Each day is a lesson of enlightenment !

Goodluck with getting it fitted robbiej

FINGERS CROSSED

I fitted a gen 2 wheel to a gen 1 car but to get the multi function to work you needed to replace the module in the steering column to a gen 2 type.
Also use a gen 2 air bag and get the MF turned on with piwis.

At least you would have to do all that with 991 parts I would think.

Keep us posted how you get on as if I buy a 997 turbo tip I would do the same , I hate gen 1 triangle wheels.

Good luck go for it :)

I don't have a fancy multifunction wheel, so no worries about electronics, but would it be possible to retro fit a newer style (997.2 or 991) wheel to my 997.1?

tom_nieto said:
I don't have a fancy multifunction wheel, so no worries about electronics, but would it be possible to retro fit a newer style (997.2 or 991) wheel to my 997.1?

A 997.2 wheel will fit a .1 car. You'll also need an airbag as they're different.

I'm really only after paddles as the other car I drive has them. I don't expect to get the little control stick working and was wondering if it can be taken off blanked over.

the interior is grey on my car do I leave it black or get it recovered by royal to match. Would I get the Airbag cover in the right colour.

Ok for £425 and £400 for a second hand airbag then?

I'd be inclined to get a socket set, remove the center, and then remove the unwanted settings dial stork. As for blanking the slot, I'd ask a leather company for a sample piece to match the wheel and make my own blank that's paper thin smaller. Which will allow the leather to trap it tightly in position. Doesn't matter what you use to make a blank, so long as it's strong, who's to know even if it's a bit of wood, all that'll be seen is a taught smooth leather section.

Looks like someone has created a conversion loom which enables full functionality of the 991 wheel on a 997 :D

Just spotted someone had posted a video on the 997 enthusiast group on Facebook, and they're selling the looms.

Have asked for pricing.

Robbie,
That steering wheel will fit a gen 1 and you will need the 997.2/991 airbag for it
the steated wheel will only work if you have heated seats in your car if you have then there is no reason it wont work .
You will need the newer steering control module they are about £230 and you will need to get your opc to turn on the multifunction option through piwis even thought you dont have MF if still needs to be turned on to make the horn work. you must insist at the opc they do this as they think they know better, and they dont. also from the pic it looks like you might be missing the springs that make the airbag/ horn return when you press it they are only a few quid at the opc you cant use the gen1 ones they are too short.
good luck sorting it and funny I always tell people the steering wheel change mod is about £1000 and by the time you have the new module that will be where your at . dont forget to make sure the wiring loom is in the grove for it as you slide the airbag in also apply a small amount of silicon grease around the edge of the airbag this will help stop it from sticking. :thumb: :thumb:

so I got a Airbag coming cost £350 and £50 for some new cables

how do I find the module I need? I can't seen to find a online Porsche catalog so I can look for bits. I think the shroud can be changed so I can delete the joystick. I've only ever been to independent...

Is this the part http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-OEM...Wheel-Control-Module-95B959256C-/112380123493

the shroud is in the ebay picture as well....

the wheel came out of a Porsche cup car I'm told!

steering control unit you need is this part number 997.613.289.01, there are a few that look the same but it must be this part number nothing else. cost £250ish unless you are lucky and find a used one from a gen2 getting broken.
let me know if you need any other info

Attachments

• img_5735_124_137.jpg
    img_5735_124_137.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 7,819
  • img_5736_124_123.jpg
    img_5736_124_123.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 7,819
so the wheel has a module 95B959256C in it its not that, thanks for info above!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back