Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AOS replacement tips please!!!

Tymm

So the other day I got the "Smoke bomb!" after reading up it seems that my AOS is shot, i've ordered a new one (it comes with 2 O-rings) plus the inlet manifold gaskets, do I need anything else?

I've watched a few tube vids but can't help thinking that there must be an easier way, Do any of you know or got anymore links?

Any help is good help!!!

TIA

Tymm

Manual or tip? Makes a big difference on how easy/hard it can be.

infrasilver's your man on hints and tips for this.

That's the good news then! With the tip it's almost definitely an engine drop/out job.

With the manual it is easier as you have better access to where it is. I'm not too up on replacing the AOS but I believe there's more than a couple of ways of getting access to it. I know when infrasilver has done his, he undo's the rear engine mounts and winds the nuts right down to the end of the mounts. This drops the engine an inch or so giving you that extra bit of space to make it easier. I think there's a tad more room with a coupe rather than a cab too.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

alex yates said:
That's the good news then! With the tip it's almost definitely an engine drop/out job.

With the manual it is easier as you have better access to where it is. I'm not too up on replacing the AOS but I believe there's more than a couple of ways of getting access to it. I know when infrasilver has done his, he undo's the rear engine mounts and winds the nuts right down to the end of the mounts. This drops the engine an inch or so giving you that extra bit of space to make it easier. I think there's a tad more room with a coupe rather than a cab too.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.

Thanks mate!!! any idea what the thread was called? I've just had a look but he has over 300 pages!!!

Will be following this thread with interest
I have a slight leak coming from my AOS
I'm thinking it may just be an o ring
Anyone know if this is common?
Manual coupe c4s if it makes any odds
Thanks

With it being a manual the engine can stay in at least but it is still a time consuming job. I think it took me a while to do mine with the engine in place mostly down to the hose clips and fittings not being in the correct position to get them off, ie they were fitted at the factory with the engine not in the car and they didn't think about it being removed once in the car.

You will need to drop the engine as low as it'll go on the engine mounts and if possible drop the box a little from its mount, anything to give you more access. I took the N/S inlet manifold off but the last bolt that sits next to the AOS on the inlet is a pig to get to/out. You will also need to drain the coolant to a level lower than the AOS.

One tip I will give you that'll make life a lot easier is to break or cut the pipes off the AOS as it'll be scrapped anyway, it'll save a lot of bloody knuckles, you can see what I cut/broke off when I did mine but I would probably cut all the pipes off if I was doing it again with the engine in. I also replaced the pipe clips with jubilee type clips as these are easier to fit and remove

alex yates said:
I don't think he did a 'how to' on it, but this may help: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=68860

or you could just either wait for him to hopefully respond on here or pm him.

Thanks again!!

I've only ordered the parts today and they wont be here till Friday at the earliest, I'm just trying to get as much info as poss to make it a bit easier!!

infrasilver said:
Also get two new O rings for the plastic pipes as these can leak over time.

Thanks for the replies!!!

The 2 O-rings you say are they 2 different sizes? because 2 come with the AOS

When you say about them being put together with the engine out it's just the same with my BMW it took me longer to get 1 clip off the CCV then it did to the rest of the job!!!

I've got all week to get the little ***** off!!!

Budgiec4s said:
Will be following this thread with interest
I have a slight leak coming from my AOS
I'm thinking it may just be an o ring
Anyone know if this is common?
Manual coupe c4s if it makes any odds
Thanks

same car as mine!! from what i've been reading it's a common problem!

Ive started to find that the x2 10 mm bolts holding the AOS in place have rotted away to almost nothing ... very difficult to remove at that point , if you can then theres sockets available that cut into what ever is left but ive failed even with these .. Boxster you have a little more access .. 996 and you dont .

The pipe where it enters the engine ( one with rubber seal ) also can be a bitch to get out , last one i did and it snapped off ..

So although this can be done in situe im starting to warn people that it cant always be done in situe .. engine r&r is something like 8 hrs labour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back