Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo - Headlight washers not working

shantybeater

Hi all,

Well the car failed it's MOT on the headlight washers not functioning. I have to confess in the five years I have owned the car I have not used these once. Anyways due to my lack of experience with how they function I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me if the pump sounds normal compared to yours?

I push the stalk forward and hold and I hear a buzzing noise for about 1-2 secs, the nozzles on the headlights both lift but nowhere near far enough and no water comes out. It then appears to give up entirely even though I leave the stalk depressed?!? Is this normal? Should I not be seeing a constant stream of water/buzzing noise until I let off the stalk?. If I pump the stalk the buzzing noises return each time and the jets attempt to emerge once per push before instantly dropping back down. I have taken off each headlight, water is ejecting from the the pipes and by attaching a hose both headlight jets appear fully functional.

http://s141.photobucket.com/user/sh...7-4EC2-BF4B-8D9A34AFFAC8_zps1xfrqt16.mp4.html

I find pumping them once in a while it frees them up, you might find it easier to remove the cap then receipt it on as this seemed to free mine up (my guess is that they were pressed in to far and it was causing issues) they do seem completely useless. Why they are a legal requirement is beyond me.

Thanks for the response Chris. So does your pump sound/act the same as in the video?

Yea pretty much. I'll double check tomorrow if I remember. Oh I think they only work when the lights are on, not sure if the pump goes when the lights are off.

If i understand correctly then when you put a hose on the washers then they pop up and water comes out .. when you operate with them off then water comes out the pipes ..

If so then its probably a weak pump and so a lack of pressure ( not enough water being pumped )

Its not uncommon for the washer bottles to fill with " jelly " .. old screen wash that breaks down .. this will partially block the pump filter .

Remove and clean out the bottle is something ive had to do many .. many times over the years .. if nothing obvious in there then i would lean towards it being the pump thats weak .

I checked mine this morning, i just hold the stalk forward and it squirts. Im sure i had to pump it when i first got the car, wouldnt surprise me if they never got used previously.

Just had a service and turns out one of my headlight washers is not spraying!! Not had a chance to take the headlight out and take a look yet but any tips? I am thinking blocked pipes.

Symptoms - both headlight washers pop up full height but only one sprays (and sprays well - so not pump).

Nastymatt said:
Just had a service and turns out one of my headlight washers is not spraying!! Not had a chance to take the headlight out and take a look yet but any tips? I am thinking blocked pipes.

Symptoms - both headlight washers pop up full height but only one sprays (and sprays well - so not pump).

Headlamp washer jet req .

Nastymatt said:

I've had this before, washer fluid was pi55ing out of the undertray - turned out the headlight unit and hose wasn't connected properly. Easy fix by taking headlight unit out and then carefully realigning before replacing

:thumb:

Just had the headlight washer unit out and connected a hose to it and it did spray water!! grrr.... so does this sound like the pump has had it and not strong enough??

Just reread dermots message - i'll clean out the reservoir before orderng a new pump

NM

P.S there was fluid at the pipe going into the headlight unit.

The pump will pulse and push water to the headlamp washers .. this will push the jets up high enough so that at the top it uncovers a hole which allows the water to exit the jets and release the pressure .. the jets will then fall back .

So a low pressure be it blocked pump or weak pump would not normally allow either jet to get to full height .. if one jet works and the other doesnt then i would lean towards it being the headlamp washer jet thats at fault .. ie blocked .

I now have the worlds most powerful headlight spray from both jets!!

Turned out to be a blocked filter to the headlight pump inside the reservoir. Took the reservoir out and could see it was yellow inside. Took it out, it was gunked up completely, cleaned it and put it all back together and they are now working far better than ever before. Suppose I have never seen what they should work like.

Down side is I now have to clean the car :D

Nastymatt said:

Turned out to be a blocked filter to the headlight pump inside the reservoir. Took the reservoir out and could see it was yellow inside. Took it out, it was gunked up completely, cleaned it and put it all back together and they are now working far better than ever before. Suppose I have never seen what they should work like.

I didn't know there was a filter, is it easy to get at and check?

chriscoates81 said:
Nastymatt said:

I didn't know there was a filter, is it easy to get at and check?

Where the headlight washer pump fits into the reservoir is a filter. Easy to get to?? Err.. you have to get the reservoir out.. not a tough job but not a simple check. Out, clean and back in probably took me 1.5hrs but I was really taking my time.

I followed these instructions to remove: https://sites.google.com/site/996headlightwasherpumpfix/

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back