Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stock 993 exhaust sounds terrible :(

badlands

Just had my muffler bypass pipe removed for the sake of getting on tracks with static noise test like brands hatch. Always thought the car had the RSR mod inside the mufflers, turns out they were completely bypassed.

My god I did not realise how asthmatic the stock exhaust mufflers are - you can't hear anything!! Open the windows/sunroof and it's just wind noise! :( No pops on the overun, no nothing. And wierdly the *sense* of speed blasting down a narrow country lane is now much less. Before 50mp felt like 80mph...now it feels like 45mph.

One day I'd love to have the bypass pipe welded back in as with that and the pss10s with the windows down it's just the perfect spine-tingling street experience. Then add a black 996.2 gt3 for track-purpose. Can only dream....

What cats are you running
200cell with stock mufflers gave a slightly different noise over stock with still some pops and crackles on over-run
That's what I had in my old one and liked that combo. Not too loud but a bit louder than stock :thumb:

that could be something to try. Just stock cats at the moment...

first I need to see how loud 'stock everything' measures at brands hands static test, which is 101db limit. If I've got a bit of room to move then that suggestion could be just the ticket!

I have decat pipes and Dansk Sport 'mufflers'(always makes me snigger).........it's loud and not really suitable for town driving but on the open road its sounds awesome :thumbs:

Did you have the 'Hollamby bypass' pipes :dont know: If so I'm surprised you'd fail a static track noise test as they were never that loud.

Yep Hollamby Bypass, but was marked on the invoice from previous owner as 'RSR mod' so assumed that's what it was. It read 105db static at Brands Hatch, 5k revs. Tried all the tricks, clutch in, car warmed up, got it down to 104db. Hence back to stock :thumb:

I've got decat and and Fabspeed. I was noise tested at Goodwood it was 85db at tickover and 119db at three quater revs. I didn't get on the track!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Think rsr modded boxes are a bit quieter. I had both and could tell the difference then. Rsr is A much nicer sound imo. Just mod your standard boxes to rsr them. Dead easy if you're handy with a grinder

therevday said:
I've got decat and and Fabspeed. I was noise tested at Goodwood it was 85db at tickover and 119db at three quater revs. I didn't get on the track!!!!!! :mrgreen:
:grin:

Hi Phil, yep looked into the decibel devils or similar - from what I read these needed to be customised to fit the 993 oval shape exhausts + results were mixed. Hence went from returning to stock as just seemed more straightforward. Didn't anticipate the extent to which the sound would change if I'm honest - in retrospect I should have kept the bypass pipe & seen how many DBs the bolt-on could bring the noise down :frustrated:

badlands said:
Hi Phil, yep looked into the decibel devils or similar - from what I read these needed to be customised to fit the 993 oval shape exhausts + results were mixed. Hence went from returning to stock as just seemed more straightforward. Didn't anticipate the extent to which the sound would change if I'm honest - in retrospect I should have kept the bypass pipe & seen how many DBs the bolt-on could bring the noise down :frustrated:

Mate, is it not very straight forward to swap it back and try the decibel devils or have the local gypsys had the old metal away already lol
are you doing simply Porsche

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back