Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 993 owner questions!

Mosquito

Hi

Have been viewing this very useful forum for a while and finally acquired a 1997 Zenith Blue C4 with 46K miles 3 weeks ago.

It now has a few more miles though because I had the car transported down to Brescia to follow the Mille Miglia, and then drove the car home with a friend via Switzerland. During the 1700 mile trip had a few minor issues that I would appreciate advice on.

The indicator relays seem almost silent. Easy to leave on. Is this normal or should there be a decent clicking sound?

The a/c did not work. Referred to the handbook and tried numerous combinations of switches to no avail. Do not think it is a simple case of regassing because have a bill from the previous owner for that not long ago. Have searched the internet and presume my best course of action is to leak test and then expect to replace the condenser or evaporator?

The passenger side window switch broke leaving the window down. After a bit of research, found that the window could be raised by swapping the two remaining switches around etc. My question is, where should I purchase a replacement from? OEM or reproduction part?

Seem to have a bit of a creak from the lower front windscreen. From searching the forums it would seem to be a common problem. Any quick solution to this, or is it a case of living with it until screen needs replacing?

The rear reflector was off the other day and although no one will see, I noticed the at steel brackets behind were a little corroded. They are riveted onto the bumper. I presume I can just drill these out and refresh them by sand blasting and plating and then riveting them back on. Any better suggestions (apart from not touching them)?

Many thanks for the advice in advance.

Hello, -
In my experience the indicators on a 993 do not make a particularly loud clicking noise.

Regarding the squeaky windscreen - it's not normally a case of the windscreen needing replacing- the windscreen should be fine.....it's a case of the rusty windscreen scuttle around it that needs fixing, chances are you need the windscreen out, the scuttle repaired by a decent body shop and Glasstec Paul or someone similarly competent to re-install the windscreen. As a bodge up solution until you want to pull the trigger on a proper repair you can eradicate the squeaky noise by using Bike Hut dry lube teflon.....rub it all the way around the inside of windscreen outer seal....it's a quick fix that lasts several months.....

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-lube/bikehut-dry-teflon-bike-lube-125ml

Good luck

Screen squeak needs luring or replacing
Air con will need work
Relays are quiet
Get an OE switch
OCD regarding rear reflector
Normal for 993 owner.

My views in the below:

Mosquito said:
Hi

Have been viewing this very useful forum for a while and finally acquired a 1997 Zenith Blue C4 with 46K miles 3 weeks ago.

Lovely, but we need pics

It now has a few more miles though because I had the car transported down to Brescia to follow the Mille Miglia, and then drove the car home with a friend via Switzerland. During the 1700 mile trip had a few minor issues that I would appreciate advice on.

The indicator relays seem almost silent. Easy to leave on. Is this normal or should there be a decent clicking sound?

Normal and we all leave them running which brings us back down to earth when posing in our P&J :oops:

The a/c did not work. Referred to the handbook and tried numerous combinations of switches to no avail. Do not think it is a simple case of regassing because have a bill from the previous owner for that not long ago. Have searched the internet and presume my best course of action is to leak test and then expect to replace the condenser or evaporator?

Seems their previous repair didn't catch all the issues. The A/C system is complex and can fail at just about any point. I suggest a leak test initiallly is a wise move, but I think you can be fairly sure it's lost its gas (or at least enough of it to knock the system off)

The passenger side window switch broke leaving the window down. After a bit of research, found that the window could be raised by swapping the two remaining switches around etc. My question is, where should I purchase a replacement from? OEM or reproduction part?

Official Porsche Centre is the best bet. Though likely a case of "they don't make um like they used to" no matter where you get them. There are cheap copies around so OPC best bet for the best available

Seem to have a bit of a creak from the lower front windscreen. From searching the forums it would seem to be a common problem. Any quick solution to this, or is it a case of living with it until screen needs replacing?

Extremely common to have the screen frame rubbing and creaking. In my experience the best and only fix is a refit or replacement of the screen by someone who knows what they are doing.

The rear reflector was off the other day and although no one will see, I noticed the at steel brackets behind were a little corroded. They are riveted onto the bumper. I presume I can just drill these out and refresh them by sand blasting and plating and then riveting them back on. Any better suggestions (apart from not touching them)?

I replaced these for the same reason. Also the central one often has the nut that the reflector secures to missing and/or twisted and broken. New bracket parts not too costly and as you say drill out and rivet in new. Can't see the value in sand blasting etc given the cost of the part.

Many thanks for the advice in advance.

Nothing too serious there... all the normal 993 quirks. Be aware that even at best, the 993 air con isn't anywhere near as powerful as modern systems, but when working, is good enough.
Indicators quite hazardous (no pun intended) I find. I'm partially deaf, and just can't hear them, when you combine that with the vary faint (in daytime) indicator green light, and the fact that the actual stalk doesn't 'self-cancel' very well, then I often leave them on for long distances. On quite a few occasions I've had people pull out in front of me, usually from a left side street or road, because they think I'm turning in!
I've long wondered if louder 'buzzers' could be substituted for the standard quiet ones? Or perhaps a brighter flashing indicator bulb? Any ideas you electricians out there?

Let's see some pics of your car! Sounds good late/low miles example!

Will

Welcome to the forum.

Air con - same here, doesn't really worry me and can be a pain to fix.
Squeaky front screen - same issue here. Doesn't necessarily mean problems with the scuttle. I had the rear scuttle fixed but the front is fine.
Indicators - sounds standard.
Window switches - I bought on ebay and they are absolutely fine.

Hi there Mosquito and welcome to the world of 993 ....... pictures of your new purchase are at some de rigeur ..... :)

I don't know if you have browsed the FAQ of the 993 forum but there is quite a bit of information there detailing problems and fixes that are a common recurrence on our cars ....... :)

Welcome. :thumb:

Be good to see some pics of the new motor?

All questions answered above, however there is obviously a fix for the indicators as my car has a rather loud beeping sound which leaves them impossible to leave on.

C.

Will attempt to add photos. Have included photos of corroded brackets (even though I may be OCD!)

Thanks for the helpful advice. Will get on with the jobs.

Attachments

• img_5390_439.jpg
    img_5390_439.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 6,789
  • img_5410_184.jpg
    img_5410_184.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 6,789
  • img_5411_923.jpg
    img_5411_923.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 6,789
  • img_5226_204.jpg
    img_5226_204.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6,789
  • img_5228_149.jpg
    img_5228_149.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6,789
  • img_5229_133.jpg
    img_5229_133.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 6,789
congrats & welcome. lovely colour that!

If you're building a concourse car then I can maybe see the point in changing the brackets, however they are fixed to a plastic bumper so they won't effect the contact surface. All I did was wash all the plastics down and gave the brackets a scrub with a detailing brush and soapy water. Apply a coat of wax/polish on the plastics and a quick squirt of WD40 to the brackets. Job done.
Once the lights are back in place and the top cover fitted no-one will ever see them.

Great colour btw. :thumb:

C.

Welcome

Nice car,

Where abouts in Herts are you. I'm in Harpenden.

Cheers
Bob

Thanks for the car compliments. Yes, I thought the colour was interesting and unusual. I have a friend with an Iris Blue C2S and viewed a black C2S and a silver C4. This was the car that suited me the best and the colour was a bonus.

Hi Bob, I live in a hamlet near Ware in Herts. The car is currently stored near Hemel until I can finish building the garages (this summer) at my house. Harpenden is 30 mins away so happy to meet for a coffee and compare notes!

cableguy said:

All questions answered above, however there is obviously a fix for the indicators as my car has a rather loud beeping sound which leaves them impossible to leave on.

C.

I'd love to know what that fix was/is!!!!!!

Will Statt said:
cableguy said:

C.

I'd love to know what that fix was/is!!!!!!

I've been through the history file and past invoices and can't find anything relating to the fitting.

I shall have to take a video clip of it in action. :thumb:

C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back