Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Audio upgrade cartwheeling across the lawn!

996_leeroy

So its time to upgrade the audio in the porker, new head unit first - I trawled the forums & it looks pretty straight forward, Ive got power to it but I cannot get anything out of the damn speakers no matter what I try! Its a Kenwood HU & I've bought the connects2 ct53-po01 lead as suggested on the forums but nothing! I have fitted many stereos in the past but this one has me beaten!

Anyone got any ideas? or want to suggest someone to do it for me? I've had enough! Grrrrrrr...

Ta.

(PCM1, I dont thik its MoST, No Bose but a rubbishy 40w amp under the frunk! Door & dash speakers)

is it the 6-way Harmon Kardon amp in the frunk?
This takes speaker level output from the H/U, applies an EQ to send lower frequencies to the doors.

What connects2 adaptor did you get?

I replaced my amp as it popped & farted...

Your new H/U may not like that the Porsche uses a common ground speaker system that Porsche use?

anyway.. describe how you've wired everything so far and hopefully we'll sort it :thumb:

Thanks for the reply...

I bought connects2 ct53-po01:
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/con...-boxster-active-system-amplifier-adaptor.html

I think its the right one & its just plug n play so it should be idiot proof!

Which lead did you use?

Did you replace your amp with the same again or a different one? The OE amp physical dimentions are quite small so I think any new one would have to be re-located, then there is getting the leads through the bulkhead to the HU - that looks a total ball-ache!

I'm trying to get my head around how that adaptor works?
The amp in the frunk has power, earth and a signal (12v) inputs, Then LF+ RF+ RR+ RL+ and a common ground

Outputs are 6x +/- FR, FL, DL, DR, RL, RR
direct to the speakers, so how the adaptor does anything is beyond me... :dont know:
Have you tried connecting the H/U speaker outputs to the ISO connector directly?

There are several amps available that easily fit into the factory amp location. I have a Pioneer one that drives the door speakers and the head unit drives the front and rears.
I ran a phono cable and speaker cables through the bulkhead (drivers side) which really wasn't that hard. :thumb: No adaptor.

The red connector takes the yellow/green/blue from the loom (only connects yellow)

The black is power to the HU.

I have no way of connecting directly to the speakers because of this crappy amp - I think this is the issue, the amp is not being switched on...ive even tried a permanent live to it & still nothing.

I think a small amp replacement in the frunk, somehow push the cables through the bulkhead (its so tight I am surprise you say it was easy...) & ditch the whole connects lead is the way forward.

I was hoping someone would come back with something like...."you know about the hidden switch under the bonnet..." I know it was a long shot.... :)

what does your amp look like? This?
post-4-1213252451_thumb.jpg

Behind the H/U you should have the normal ISO connectors - one with power, the other with speakers. The new H/U's blue wire (Signal wire) needs to connect to the red with blue stripe to turn the amp on.
CORRECTION
Black + red stripe is the 12v signal wire

Take some photos and I should be able to point out what goes where :D

I have just replaced my headunit for a kenwood. The issue I had was that the connects 2 adaptor was of providing switched power. It is meant to do this, together with converting the fibre (orange cables and hat go to the amp) to the rca adaptor that fits into the back of the headunit

I have to run a wire from the fuse box to the headunit switched power to get it to work. One way to test this is to provide a constant 12v to bother the red and yellow wires and see if it turns ok.

Send me a message if you need anymore help or have any questions

As the OP stated that his is not MOST, then there wouldn't be any fibre connections? (Least, not for the amp)
I think more information is needed :thumb:

I tried again this morning, still exactly the same except i blew a fuse, E1 i think it was...So i am guessing there is a short somewhere, I replaced it but still nothing...So I've given up...Just have to stick with engine note 😀 & crap FM. It's almost a shame to have the stereo on tbh!
Thanks for all the replies.

Halcyon said:
what does your amp look like? This?
post-4-1213252451_thumb.jpg

Behind the H/U you should have the normal ISO connectors - one with power, the other with speakers. The new H/U's blue wire (Signal wire) needs to connect to the red with blue stripe to turn the amp on.
CORRECTION
Black + red stripe is the 12v signal wire

Take some photos and I should be able to point out what goes where :D

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have this same issue with a Kenwood head unit and the Connects2 connector I have. It's not plug and play which makes me mad!

I have a 2005 997 with the SPP and the amp isn't getting a signal. I'm about to plug the blue/white from the Kenwood to the black/red wire in pin 2 on the iso power connector from the loom. Is this right. Worried about a Big Bang! The tweeters are working ok and if I plug the pcm back in the bass is there so I'm convinced it's this. Just can't find a wiring diagram that matches my car. Seen one for the 987 but is ever so slightly different.

Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• e6466789_8069_4e99_a46d_94db27cb8e45_105.jpeg
    e6466789_8069_4e99_a46d_94db27cb8e45_105.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,322
The black and red wire is the 12v signal wire, yes.

:thumb:

Awesome, thank you. I now have bass in my 997!!

Now to fix the Alarm open earth problem. No wires like on the 996. Any clues on what to earth?

yay!! :) Glad that worked - no idea about the alarm though, sorry!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back