Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Getting my 996 back as it should be!

gmt

Hello, been working at getting my 1999 996 back to its former glory. Been a bit neglected over the last 10 years. I have had the wheels done, its currently in for paintwork and due back in a week or so. Its been a great car, had it from one year old and had zero problems other than recently I have noticed two things which are on my list to address when it has completed the paint job. First is the air con gurgles now? Appreciate any advice on what this is and how to get it fixed was thinking of just taking it to Halfords? Second is my key stopped working? Have seen some stuff on the internet saying its an expensive job and could cost a few hundred pounds for a new key(no spare)? Any thoughts on this would be great. The only other thing is the exhausts, with time they look a bit grubby where they come out at the back, can you add tail pipes and if so what sort of cost and is there a great place to buy them?

Will try to add pics when its back from the paint shop.

Also was thinking about diamond wax I think its called, had this done when I first got the car and it was great, seemed to protect the paintwork very well, not sure what the latest big thing is? And treating the leather seats any advice welcomed.

Welcome mate. Sounds like you're on it.

Habe a good browse round the site and utilise that search button at the top right. This place is a wealth of info......loads of fun too.

You're in the right place.

:thumbs:

The guys on here are very helpful. good luck with getting your car sorted. :thumb:

Mike

:welcome:

There is usually some exhaust bits on Ebay.

The air con could just need a regas if your lucky if not you could have leaking condensers or pipes. I would give Halfords or Kwik Fit a go and get a system pressure test done. If it's still tight then your in luck.

Don't know a lot about keys I'm afraid.

Older cars can be a labour of love I know mine needs a few bits done here and there so good luck getting it how you want.

:thumb:

Back from the paint shop!

Attachments

• img_6679_107.jpg
    img_6679_107.jpg
    708.8 KB · Views: 4,416
wheels refurbished also

Attachments

• img_66831_873.jpg
    img_66831_873.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,394
  • img_66831_921.jpg
    img_66831_921.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4,394
Really pleased with the paintwork and the wheel refurbishments. Next on the list is the air con, booked into Halfords Thusrday, and this key situation which I don't really understand, thanks saintspaul for the info on remotekeys, will try them, don't really know what the problem is though!!

After that its the tail pipes and getting it up on a ramp to check all is secure oiled and greased. Then an internal valet with the seats treated. Might go mad with a new sound system as the existing one is very ordinary!

Not that I am interested in selling, but out of interest I checked what my car is worth on Autotrader, seems around £12k. What happened to the market? Its about £12k for a Renault Clio? Must be the greatest time ever if you want a 911.

I agree, they are good value. But if you look at the number of threads on here of people wanting early 996 manual C2s you will see that they are picking up in popularity. Yours looks fantastic, but then I would say that. :D

MC

Good to hear from a long term owner! How many miles have you put on it?

Car looks fantastic, especially with the original amber indicators.

Key - do you mean the remote part? If so, and you have tried a new battery in it, and tried reversing the battery to reset it - then it may be kaput. Some services like the one linked above will solder on new buttons.

You may need to buy a new key head (has to be new with codes on tag), and get an indy or main dealer to code it into the car.

You may as well get a spare key at the same time if you need to do that.

Air con, you just need anyone with the right equipment to hook it up, vac it out, weigh the refrigerant and refill it. It might just be getting low or you may have a leak - either way they will pressure test it for you. Its the same on any car nothing unique to Porsche (the same compressor is on a Zafira, expansion valve from a Mercedes vito etc).

infrasilver said:
Have you considered cleaning the tail pipes, a little bit of fine wire wool and WD40 to remove the tar spots, then finish off with some Autosol will bring them up like new.

Or as recently recommended - remove and put in the dishwasher, then finish with Autosol.....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back