Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 5
997 : 2004- 60
996 : 1997-2005 45
993 : 1993-1998 9
964 : 1989-1993 1
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 0
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 1
Early 911 : 1964-1977 1
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 1
Boxster : 1997- 15
Cayman : 2005- 12
Cayenne : 2003- 11
Macan : 2014- 2
Panamera : 2009- 0
912-914-924-928-944-968 6
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Body Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

PGR
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car by the way, Dammit. I just wish I had the funds for your level of OCD-ness Smile

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving back from Precision, temp gauge warning light starts flashing, get out of the car to take a look and the coolant level is well below minimum- I think there is water in the coolant bottle, and the temp gauge itself is staying in the middle of the dial- should I assume the system has "burped" as it were, and I just need to top it up? I'm just round the corner from home, frustratingly.

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Googling says I need G12 coolant, Halfords car-checker things says G40 - who is right?

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, litre and a half of G40 and it's back above the minimum.

Exel wheels made a delivery to Precision whilst they had the car:

I think the centre console delete really changes the way these cars look for the better (and I now fit, which is also nice):

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to paint the seat backs body colour- what's the opinion on whether to do the centre console (handbrake/gear-lever) unit at the same time?

Too much? Spot on?

Osh
Indianapolis

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit wrote:
I'm going to paint the seat backs body colour- what's the opinion on whether to do the centre console (handbrake/gear-lever) unit at the same time?

Too much? Spot on?

Personally I think it would look great.. Thumb

But its your P&J - you'd need to live with it. Right now I can't see the downside

Osh

BHZ661
Österreich

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will look good and really up lift interior thumbsup

Demort
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the center consol painted .. looks great imho , ive also seen them with the pcm surround switch panel painted .. again i like it .

7pm - 9pm

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the input chaps, I'll get the centre console painted at the same time as everything else.

On to a different question - I've identified (at long last) a really annoying flappy-rattle noise, it's the flap that you lift to see the mirror on the back of the sun visor/turn on the lights to either side of the mirror.

Is this a known issue and if it is would there be a known fix for it, or should I have a crack with some Sugru?

Demort
Paul Ricard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/1512-sun-visor-mirror-return-springs/

That or new sunvisor mirrors ..

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/EUROMIRROR.html something like this perhaps ..

Or Glue Very Happy

7pm - 9pm

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I wonder how much a new visor unit would be? I'll have a fiddle with the existing unit tomorrow, see if I can fix it and if I can't I guess I'll ring East London OPC for a price.

Marky911
Österreich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car is looking great now Neil. The wheels look lovely.

I agree with other comments. The seat backs and console make a huge difference to the interior.

I think your quest for perfection is great. You're hell-bent on doing what most owners do, except what usually takes most people 5 or 6 years of tinkering, you want it done in a couple of months. Grin

Looking forward to the next phase. Thumb

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, appreciate the comments.

I'm picking up a pair of OEM litronic lights after work tonight, not because the standard lights are bad but the Litronics are meant to be better, and I have a what would appear to be a Porsche related compulsive disorder (see Benchrace 2,000 thread for how that's manifesting in other ways).

The litronics were only ever available with clear indicator lenses (I believe?) so the indicator lenses will need re-ambering.

I have read about a couple of methods for doing this now - Krylon stained glass paint (rattle can) in "Tangerine Candy", or alternatively using translucent vinyl, as (I am guessing) used to wrap cars, but on the lights.

I can't remember who it was who had used the amber film - they are on this forum, the paint technique was mentioned on the 996 Facebook group.

Does anyone have experience of doing this that they can relate, with any caveats?

wasz
Albert Park

1999 Porsche 996 Carrera 2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, spending £30k when you thought you were in £10k. Still at least your car is mint and you can enjoy it for a good number of years as it will drive like new.

That coolant tank looks original - its yellowed. The originals crack. I would keep an eye on coolant level, and especially that expansion tank.

Lovely car though, love the roof rack! I rather like the 996.2 multispoke 17s, how is your ride quality (back to back) now its on 18s?

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being completely honest I'm struggling to tell the difference, although I am sure that there is one.

The 17's are currently with Chris/Exel being refurbished, I'll likely sell them when I get them back as try as I might I cannot create enough space in the garage to store them - give me a shout if you want them, they've got N rated Pilot Sports on which are 3,000 miles from new.

I had thought of putting winter tyres on them, but would need to rent another garage which makes the economics somewhat unbalanced.

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the lights (if Facebook pictures work on this forum):

I can swap the washer surrounds with mine, but that would make the issue of colour match even more important. I think the compound curves would/will make using a wrap difficult - although I admit I know very little about what shapes a wrap will manage.

Steff
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent and honest thread, and well done for wanting your car to be perfect. I've not spent quite as much as you bit have still easily spent the value of the car getting right. I just think if you've got a 911 you want it to drive as it should.

And, while plenty of people start saying 'you could of bought a 997 for that', ignoring the discussion on which is best, in my experience of looking for a circa £20k 997 with a friend recently, they all need the same amount spending on them. Incidentally, gave up and bought an E46 M3.

Particularly impressed that someone has one of those bike racks. I've only seen them in the brochure before. I spent ages getting an original porsche rack for my coupe as I just think when ever I head into Wales, or where ever, mountain biking I used to think I might as well kill 2 birds with one stone and do it in the 911.

Anyway, I also have an early 3.4 and have the same issue with the cig lighter, thought it was just me. So do I just order a bog std 997 one, as Design 911 imply the same one suits both 996 and 997? Do I need to order anything else and is it easy to do for someone with no mechanical ability?

Also interested in your Becker. Where did you get it from and what does it do? I keep thinking about getting one but everytime I look I get confused by the numerous model numbers and so give up.

Dammit
Montreal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cigarette lighter - it's straightforward bar one aspect, which is pulling the old socket out of the cage in which it sits. There are wedge shaped tabs which allow the socket to be pushed into the cage, but not pulled back out again.

However, simply rotating the socket with reference to the cage moves the tabs out of their locating holes, and enables you to pull the socket out cleanly.

I'd get a set of trim tools - they're circa ten quid from eBay and very useful for this and other prying related tasks when you need to avoid marking anything.

I kept the boxes that my parts come in so I can grab the part numbers for you when I get home.

Becker - I settled on the Cascade Pro as it seemed to have the most to offer, there are other units that sit/sat below it in the range, but whilst they do a lot the issue then becomes finding one that has a display colour that is a precise match for the climate control panel, the dash etc.

The Cascade Pro's display colour range is configurable, which avoids that issue. It also does limited route display, but one of the main things I like about the Becker is that it is perfectly fine just to listen too it whilst keeping your eyes on the road, which I prefer. I also finally worked out how to get it to read instructions out with no music on in the background, which ticked the final box on my requirement list (hold the left hand knob in for 3 seconds to mute). Finally, the Becker looks OEM - personally I can't stand stereo's that don't have a look that matches the dash in which they sit.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: