Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel help

calproc

Hi iv got a 997 steering wheel which I'm putting on my mk5 golf gti. But when I press the horn it doesn't seem to press in a retract. It's quite stiff is that meant to be like that?

calproc said:
Hi iv got a 997 steering wheel which I'm putting on my mk5 golf gti. But when I press the horn it doesn't seem to press in a retract. It's quite stiff is that meant to be like that?

which wheel have you got mate as the gen2 wheels are a bit stiff you can try taking the airbag out and putting some silicon grease on the three protruding clips the other thing guys do is put teflon tape between the airbag and wheel in three places but that can peel off and stick. lastly if its a gen 2 wheel make sure the cables are sitting in the groove correctly between the airbag and wheel . Be very interesting to see if the horn works ok on the golf and the steering module on the porsche controls that. :thumb: :thumb: hope that helps :grin:

This is the wheel.

Attachments

• img_20170509_wa0000_746.jpg
    img_20170509_wa0000_746.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 5,308
I had this problem. Take out the round airbag, at the bottom of the airbag is the hooks that hook onto the bottom of the steering wheel, were the hooks locate check they are clipped into the plastic housing from behind. Sorry it's hard to explain but mine weren't so the hooks hooked on but were too deep into the wheel meaning it could barely move. Hope this helps!

I had this problem. Take out the round airbag, at the bottom of the airbag is the hooks that hook onto the bottom of the steering wheel, were the hooks locate check they are clipped into the plastic housing from behind. Sorry it's hard to explain but mine weren't so the hooks hooked on but were too deep into the wheel meaning it could barely move. Hope this helps!

Everything seems to have locked on place but just doesn't really move when you push it in. I'll get it on the car and take it from there. Cheers for the help

Usual fault with these is the leather at the top doesnt slide past the wheel leather ..

We use crytox around the airbag outer leather where it touches the wheel and the same on the tape sections.

We also pull out the springs at the base to give it more assist.

Make sure the wire connections for the airbag are fitted properly in the slot or it will jam .

Crytox is a Porsche lubricant , not sure the aftermarket alternatives for it .

EDIT

And after reading the entire thread .. what Phil said :D

Now I have seen the pics to me i would say you are missing the two springs that sit on the steering wheel mount and push the airbag up when you push it down . If I am correct and they are missing you can buy them from the opc only about 50p each or something like that . could you take the airbag out and post another pic looking down inside the wheel. have a look at where my airbag sits compared to yours mine is flush with the spokes of the wheel . Its not unusual for these springs to either drop off when the wheel is removed of get squashed if they are still there try stretching them a bit as they may have got squashed . :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• img_0354_219.jpg
    img_0354_219.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 5,202
  • img_1006_283.jpg
    img_1006_283.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 5,202
Ye it doesn't sit flush on mine. Iv tried just putting the hooked plate of the bottom of the airbag on and it doesn't push down much. But I just put the airbag in without the hooks and it locks into position and doesn't move its weird

Attachments

• rps20170509_215926_939_878.jpg
    rps20170509_215926_939_878.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 5,178
You have got the two springs so my advise would be to stretch the two springs or buy new ones add the silicon grease to the three wedges you can see in the pic maybe add a small amount around the rest of the walls make sure the wiring loom fits snug in the slot for it give it a couple of dozen presses to get everything lubed and then see how you get on. let me know :thumb: :thumb:

If your anywhere near sunny Bournemouth I will happily take a look at it for you :thumb: :thumb:

I had this problem recently and I replaced the springs and it sorted it.

Iv put some washers behind the plate with the hooks and it has seemed to free up the airbag case and allows it to move. It's flush at the top but at the bottom it sticks out abit but I can live with that.

calproc said:
Iv put some washers behind the plate with the hooks and it has seemed to free up the airbag case and allows it to move. It's flush at the top but at the bottom it sticks out abit but I can live with that.

Good to hear you have been able to tweak it to fit. :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
calproc said:

Good to hear you have been able to tweak it to fit. :thumb:

Cheers :) will be fitting it tonight so will let you know how I get on

Take another look at where the hooks locate, get a pair of thin nosed pliers grab the wire that the hooks hook onto and give them a pull and if they arnt located you will feel them snap into position, it can be either side👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back