Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres ...

pvr

I am going to need some new tyres fairly soon, so got a quote from the dealer for the two rears. However, for the 305/30/20 103Y N0 tyres, they are £300 more expensive than the online delivery companies.

Have emailed the dealer (Mid Sussex) to see if I can self supply - but have others in West Sussex area found a decent tyre fitter that does not destroy your wheels?

Sorry, can't help with a fitter in Sussex.

Believe that the Pirelli 305/30/20 103Y N0 tyres have now been superseded by a N1 rating which is alleged better.

My OPC can do them (N1) for £640 fully fitted which is about £140 behind the best online prices and this gap will narrow with fitting/balancing/disposal. Maybe pointing this out will help you strike a better price with the OPC ?

Thanks for that - was not aware about N0 and N1, I was dismissing the online quotes for N1 as I was not sure what that was.

£640 fitted is a lot better than mine (£750). They have just agreed that I can supply my own tyres and they will fit them for £100.

Bit more than the £25 for my Audi for the same.

:D

OPC prices are usually the highest on the market place

worth checking with local independent tyre fitters who have the same equipment

Seriously, buy direct from Pirelli Performance Centre for much better service than any other tyre place, and two N1 rears fitted for £600... so save your money also!!!

Do Pirellis have to be fitted so as not to void an OPC warranty? Or can you fit anything as long as they're N rated?

This lot seem a bit pricey to me. I've just had PS4S's fitted all round on my turbo and paid 835.

I used DD Tyres in Bentley, Doncaster. They're very competitive on price. Can't load their link but they're on 01302 874707.

I also need some new tyres and am looking at the PS4S`s. Cheapest ive found them currently is £799 delivered without fitting from camskill or £910 fitted via my tyres. The local garage I usually use couldnt get below £950 fitted, but will happily fit them if I buy them myself for £20 a tyre.

So im a bit stuck as to what to do atm, as I dont really want the hassle of buying the tyres then having to transport them to the garage etc. and I dont want some crappy place to start scratching my wheels.

Anyone know of any decent tyre fitters around Cambridge?

rabbitstew said:
I also need some new tyres and am looking at the PS4S`s. Cheapest ive found them currently is £799 delivered without fitting from camskill or £910 fitted via my tyres. The local garage I usually use couldnt get below £950 fitted, but will happily fit them if I buy them myself for £20 a tyre.

So im a bit stuck as to what to do atm, as I dont really want the hassle of buying the tyres then having to transport them to the garage etc. and I dont want some crappy place to start scratching my wheels.

Anyone know of any decent tyre fitters around Cambridge?

Hold on to your hat.... They're bloody marvelous!

N1's are definitely the way to go though - hugely better than N0's in my opinion.

If you aren't adverse to a drive then Tyres Northampton have a good reputation. They get featured in Evo may all the time esp in the Long Term reports. I've used them to re-balance my wheels and they were fine - in fact they spotted two of my wheels were no longer round! Which was a good spot as that was why I was having balance issues having just swapped to N1's (took a huge pot hole hit on the nearside in Nov but couldn't see any damage at the time but I guess it did the damage).

They offered to sort them as they have a wheel truing machine but it was late on a Sat PM so it would have need a return visit so in the end I got them re-trued locally.

The other place to try is Loughran Bros in Towcester. Even further for you to drive but they do all the tyre fitting for Silverstone OPC and will give you a much better deal if you go direct.

I've used them twice and been happy enough - but it was them that fitted new N1's on what turned out to be out of true rims. So I was disappointed their fitters didnt flag that the wheels were out. Hence swapping to Tyres Northampton.

It was actually Pristine in Woburn Sands who trued the wheels. They are also very good so another option if you are OK to drive. Not sure why I didn't go straight to them as I've used them for years - probably because Loughran Bros do the OPC work for Silverstone so I thought they were a safe bet, but it turns out Pristine do their wheel refurbs!

Long story, loadsa waffle - summary is get N1's!!!!

Oh, and going direct to the subcontractor instead of going to the OPC saved me about £500! But you have much better comback on an OPC if there is any damage. Always photo your alloys before hand regardless. SaveS a lot of debate if they do scuff them and sadly stuff does happen.

Methodman said:
Do Pirellis have to be fitted so as not to void an OPC warranty? Or can you fit anything as long as they're N rated?
As I understand the rules, it can't just be any N-rated tyre, but one that is approved for that specific model.

Porsche has a long list of what is approved for each model on the Service section of their main UK web site.

DRZ911 said:
Methodman said:
As I understand the rules, it can't just be any N-rated tyre, but one that is approved for that specific model.

Porsche has a long list of what is approved for each model on the Service section of their main UK web site.

Wot he said! :thumb:

Porsche has a long list of what is approved
for each model on the Service section of their main UK web site.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I'll go and have a look, need some new rubber after a visit to the ring and quite fancy trying Michelin pilot super sports or the new PS4s :thumb: fingers crossed they're on it!

Methodman said:
Thanks for the info, I'll go and have a look, need some new rubber after a visit to the ring and quite fancy trying Michelin pilot super sports or the new PS4s :thumb: fingers crossed they're on it!

Depending on your model of 991, you may find that the list of N-rated tyres is frustratingly and infuriatingly short. :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back