Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Geometry set up

evodarren

I'm located in the Southend , Essex area.
I need to get my Geometry set up on my 997.1 GT3. would like full set up and corner weighted as well.
Any recommendations, near or far.

Many thanks
Darren

Center Gravity - well worth the round trip. They know their stuff and the whole car will be checked over and then set up as you want it. A fully inclusive process and nothing will be changed if it doesn't require it.
You'll be involved in the first test drive over a range of road conditions at the end of which a preliminary diagnosis will be made.

Then a full check over of the suspension brakes and steering before checking the diagnosis on the Hunter or Beissbarth jig.

A discussion around driving style and how you want the car to behave.

Setting it up.

Test drive with Chris or Pete of CG to validate the changes and then half way in the test drive, hand-over to you to drive to feel for yourself the difference. If not happy, further tweaks back on the ramp until the car is how you want it.

They know their stuff. Its all that they do - no engine rebuilds, or servicing. Just chassis and geometry work. I had them set up my car in May 2015 at the same time as having four new Mich PS2 N3's all round. Still superb handling today. Even emailed the tyre depth reading out/centre/near for each tyre after each annual service at OPC and asked if wear was normal and within tolerance. Simple answer - yes. Just enjoy the car, they don't need to see it or check anything if I have not noticed any change in handling.

:agree:
What they said

:yeah:

:thumbs:

South east option

Centre Gravity have a strong customer following and a good shout if convenient.

For me (being London based) the distance to go there and back plus the 8+ hours potential wait and if some new parts needed then the potential of having to come back without the car and arrange another collection was a bit too much on balance.

9e near Gatwick have been a lot closer, they have a wealth of road and track set ups, plus of course can look at any other thing at the same time if dropping the car off (e.g. service, upgrades, etc)

JAZ in St. Albans did a great geometry job on mine and much cheaper than Centre Gravity would be. Super happy with the results - just throwing it out there as a more local alternative.

Thanks Guys. All booked in at Centre of Gravity on 8th June.
Good price. They said I may be there for 8 hours.
Sounds like a thorough service. :thumbs:

I once got there at 8am, and left at 11pm! Top guys, can't recommend them highly enough.
And being pedantic, they're called Center Gravity. :) No idea why.

CG has a nice office with decent wi-fi so you can work all day if that's the way you work. Also there's good cafe within walking distance. And they like to show you what they are doing to your vehicle. The time flies

Yes really looking forward to having the car set up. Just had the car serviced at Porsche and the said the geometry was out. Red on all four corners. So hopefully it will feel like a different car.

My visit at Center Gravity

After a trek up from Southend I arrived at Centre Gravity around 8am.Chris arrived soon after and was greeted with a big smile. They unlocked and we had a quick cup of tea and discussed what I thought was wrong with the car.
I said to Chris I have a few concerns. I reeled of a list. pulls to the left under hard acceleration, very nervous and floats and is very darty on A and B roads. Back end when it hits a big bump the rear seems to jump about. And also a lot of under steer. which I understand to be very common.
We then went out for a drive and Chris performed many unique test on all types of roads including an amazing cobbled road. He confirmed what the car was doing, pretty much what I said.
Chris got the car on the ramps and started to go to work.
Another gentleman turned up the have some work done on his 993, Pete was going to work on his car. The guy who had the 993 was also called Chris. He was a regular visitor to Centre Gravity from London, who bring in food for everyone. we built up a friendship during the day talking about the road trips across Europe he does every year.
Chris took some initial reading of the cars geometry and was showing why the car was behaving like it was. Also checked all my tyres, measured tread and adjusted tyre pressures.
We had a further talk and he explained the car will be set up for myself, so some of the readings maybe in red on the TOON pics as he calls them.
We decided to raise the ride height as the rear Damper had virtually no travel before they hit the bump stops. Top praise as they took him one and a half hours to adjust as the locking collars were seized. They have never been touched in ten years. The beck wheel hub had a 5 mm spacers on which he then transfer to the front wheel hub. Adjusted shims in the track control ar. The roll bars were initially set at full stiffness on inspection, they were adjusted and softened up. And many other adjustment. The guy just keeps plodding along like a machine explaining to me all the way why and what the changes will do.
Finally all finished around 6 pm, time for the test drive. By now we had just had torrential hail stones and there was so much standing water I was nervous about testing the car, lol
20 minutes later we were out. Chris was driving and started with his roundabout test. 3 times round the roundabout with wet tarmac faster that the car previously done in the dry, no under steer, and keeping the line.
WOW
He then started to perform his test, which the look on his face seemed positive.
My turn now he told me to be honest at what I thought if anything doesn't feel right we will go back and adjust.
we did a route of fast A roads, B roads motorway section. The roads were soaking wet in places and dry in others.
My god the difference is amazing. the car rides the A and B roads amazingly you can feel what the car is doing, the suspension is now doing a proper job of riding the bumps. It inspires so much confidence i am 20 Mph faster through the bends as before, but it feels so natural and controlled this time.
The best money spent in a long time, the car is faster more secure , rides the bumps far better. softening the car up has definitely worked.
As a note the car weighed 1488KG with a full tank of fuel. A fatty.

I cannot praise Chris, Pete and Holy enough for a fabulous day, they looked after me impeccably, what a great team and setup. it not often I happy to pay out on things for the car but this time, money very well worth spent.

As a note the car was set up for myself and my style of driving other people may wish to set there car up differently.

Thanks Darren

It sounds like you now understand exactly why there were so many positive recommendations for the guys and girls up there!

That was a good write up, thanks for taking the time to construct and post it. My turbo has been there many, many times for subtle tweaks, as the 996 platform as a whole is just so responsive to seemingly minor changes in geometry. I feel as though I have owned at least five 996 turbos in the five years that I have owned it, all credit to Center Gravity's intimate knowledge of every nuance of each area of adjustment. I'm kind of addicted to trying different things each year :)

It sounds as if you are going to be having a whole heap of fun with yours from now on, which is what these cars are all about.... :thumbs:

DynoMike said:
It sounds like you now understand exactly why there were so many positive recommendations for the guys and girls up there!

That was a good write up, thanks for taking the time to construct and post it. My turbo has been there many, many times for subtle tweaks, as the 996 platform as a whole is just so responsive to seemingly minor changes in geometry. I feel as though I have owned at least five 996 turbos in the five years that I have owned it, all credit to Center Gravity's intimate knowledge of every nuance of each area of adjustment. I'm kind of addicted to trying different things each year :)

It sounds as if you are going to be having a whole heap of fun with yours from now on, which is what these cars are all about.... :thumbs:

Hi i will do now. Set up lovely to absurb the A and B road bumps. Also no going to do a few Europe trips. No good having it set up for track and expecting it to handle public roads.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back