Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Horrendous intermittent noise at startup

Paterson12

Hello

So every so often when I start my Cayman I get a brief (less than 2 seconds) noise coming from the engine. It's hard to describe but it sounds kind of like a metallic whining noise. It makes no difference whether the car is hot or cold and it doesn't happen often.

The belts were changed 6 months ago so I doubt its that.

I'm suspecting the starter motor but I'd like to hear other people's opinions/experiences of this before I swap it?

Cheers

Record it and post it. Hard to tell from your description.

If I leave my 997 parked for some time, initially it makes a horrid noise until oil has been pumped around for about 1-2 seconds.

The car has done 30k miles and is running on 0W-40 I believe.

I've got an in car camera, if I can hear the noise I'll try and upload it.

if it's high-pitched, it might be the secondary air injection pump?

But until we hear it, there's no way of being sure :thumb:

My 996 did something similar after I put the new engine in - I'd forgotten to top up the PAS fluid. This is probably not your issue but something worth checking.

Yes I did check the PAS fluid and it was within limits. It would have been nice of Porsche to have put it outside of the engine compartment in the Caymans!

I'm still betting on the starter motor. It hasn't made the noise in a while so for now I'm just going to monitor it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back