Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rebuild question.

g911omr

Nurburgring
Would a car that has had a recent engine rebuild have rusty manifold bolts?
Is it likely that the engine could have been stripped down and had all the liners replaced without removing the manifolds?

g911omr said:
Would a car that has had a recent engine rebuild have rusty manifold bolts?
Is it likely that the engine could have been stripped down and had all the liners replaced without removing the manifolds?

Depends what you mean by rusty. Standard bolts will discolour and rust quickly. It takes a while to have flakes of rust build up and flake off.

I'd doubt anyone would rebuild an engine without having the manifolds off.

Also while we receive a lot fo cars for a whole job, we also receive whole engines, part stripped engines and just crankcases - all to fit new cylinders and so some are then finished by rebuilding the whole thing into a running car and they may have left the manifolds on the heads to avoid the problem of the studs breaking and incurring extra work!

Baz

Nope.
These are proper rusty. Engine rebuilt a year ago.
No way that they have been removed.
:dont know:

bazhart said:
Also while we receive a lot fo cars for a whole job, we also receive whole engines, part stripped engines and just crankcases - all to fit new cylinders and so some are then finished by rebuilding the whole thing into a running car and they may have left the manifolds on the heads to avoid the problem of the studs breaking and incurring extra work!

Baz

Thanks Baz

The car in question has had 6 new liners and there is an out cost of £2200 or so for that part. I'd sort of thought that the manifolds would have come off during the job.

As Baz says, it may make sense to leave manifolds on but I would expect them to discuss that with you, it's much easier to remove bolts while the engine is apart and you would probably want to spend a relatively small amount extra to get it fixed.

There are lots of things that should be considered while the engine is out and I would expect a good restorer to go through the list, I'm sure that Hartech would do so.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back