Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie looking for advice

KG

Hi, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I am planning to buy a 911 in about 12 months time (that's when my car existing lease contract ends). My budget is up to about £20K so I am looking at the 996 range, my preference is for a 2 wheel drive manual coupe...targa.
I have read about IMS failure which is scary so would welcome comments about how much of a risk that really is, I also found a product called the IMS guardian which is supposed to give warning on imminent failure but I don't know if that's 30 seconds or 300 miles – Is anyone familiar with that?
Apparently a leaky RMS is another common fault, can that be serious or is it just an annoying oil leak?
There is also a lot of talk around cylinder scoring, I understand it is the cylinder at the end of the coolant run so presumably the coolant is hottest by then making that cylinder run too hot – but then wouldn't all 911's suffer? From the back I think that it is the left bank and rear most cylinder but again please advise.
I am planning to do all the servicing on the car and would welcome views on that, I am not a trained mechanic but maintain my son's cars, my van and motorbike so feel quietly confident I should be able to manage the 911 work after some research. I realise that detracts from the car's history but I am planning to keep the car forever so that does not concern me.
Cat C/ Cat D – I have seen what look like some good value 911's that are Cat registered but can anyone tell me how I get the previous damage details (other than the seller), is this information recorded centrally and does a Cat registered car present problems with Insurance or anything else?
Thanks for getting this far, my reason for getting a 911 is that I have always wanted one and I think that are the most iconic car out there. I won't be putting more than 4000 a year on the clock so general running costs are not really an issue.
I look forward to hopefully getting some good advice.
Thanks, Kevin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back