Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Valuing a classic porsche

orangefender

Silverstone
Hello,

I've done a search but so far drawn a blank.

I'm looking at a classic Porsche (early 70s pre-impact non S) which is average to poor condition having been the subject to a questionable restoration previously (when on doubt the car was worth a fraction of its potential now). It is a runner having recently been MoT'd but otherwise every part of the car would benefit from having a few £k thrown at it.

I'm going in with my eyes open (I think), and realise I could easily spend £20k plus getting a vehicle like this to a respectable standard, but am struggling to arrive at even a ball part figure for this car. Advertised prices seem to vary widely, and I don't know which are priced to sell and which are kite flying. They seem to go from £50k to north of £100k, and all look decent in the photos.

Anyone able to give me a quick steer?

Thanks

Ian

Hi,

Is it a T or an E? T has carbs, E is fuel injected & more valuable

Also what size engine?

Cheers,
Paul

paul284pt said:
Is it a T or an E? T has carbs, E is fuel injected

Hi Paul

I didn't know this?

What does the "T" stand for?

and

Does the "E" mean Electronic injection?

From 1969 through to 1973, the early 911 was now produced in three versions, T, E and S, in ascending order of both performance and price. The base T model had two carburetors while the others were injected.

The 911E was designed to be the more comfortable, more drivable model of 911 – fitting between the tamer 911T (Touring) and the high-performance type 911S (Super).

As to values, they are literally all over the shop, from £40k to £240k subject to colour, spec, condition and history, etc

You need a crystal ball valuing these against resortaion costs which can empty your wallet several times over :what:

Kite flying prices tend to be more prevalent with the 'last of the air-cooled' model :bandit:

jotaking said:
paul284pt said:
Is it a T or an E? T has carbs, E is fuel injected

Hi Paul

I didn't know this?

What does the "T" stand for?

and

Does the "E" mean Electronic injection?

E is for Einspritzer (injection). It's mechanical, not electronic, that was the later Bosch K jet.

It's a T selespeed. Non matching engine but think I remember it having carbs. Clearly had welding in the past but thick layer of rust proofing so no idea what lies beneath. No signs of rust showing on the outside but suppose I have to assume the worse. Also no history and therefore assume will need engine work before long.

A well restored - 'No story' RHD T with all the right bits would be circa £80k (perhaps more).

To take a rough but running car to this condition could cost £40k (hundreds of hours of body work...at £30+ an hour)....rare parts, wheels, seats, dials, steering wheels etc into £1,000 +++ categories .... i know of stories where owners have ended up spending closer to £80k.

Starting with a previously poorly restored car..could add significantly to this, having to reverse previous repairs etc.

So unless you have very deep pockets (and patience) it might never be economic sense to do a restoration.

If it's a fair runner and fun to drive.....might make a nice driver...just do the minmuim to keep it safe and running..... should be worth £35k to £40k of anyone's money ???

Take a look on ddk-online.com

Some really scary photos of what these 45 year old cars look like once the paint is removed :eek:

vroomvroom said:
If it's a fair runner and fun to drive.....might make a nice driver...just do the minmuim to keep it safe and running..... should be worth £35k to £40k of anyone's money ???
I couldn't agree more! :thumb:

Thanks guys. It's being marketed for £10k on top of that so probably represents too much of a risk. Needs at least £2-5k spending on it to make it an enjoyable drive as it (oil leak, new bushings needed, and smoke from engine coming into the cabin).

assume you mean sportomatic ? If so, although great cars in the own right, the market does value them less ( even if converted to manual ) .

Non matching numbers ... again not an issue from a drivers point of view, but the market does value a non matching as less than a matching

Now, if its a sepia targa you've almost got the full house of 'un desirable to the market' features :lol:

just as point .... not all T's were carbs

you have the T'E' that was a T running MFI , we also have the 73.5 T , that is a T running an early CIS injection

Hi Orangefender,

The Guys have summed it up nicely for you but here's a bunch of T's for you to compare prices.

As Hot66 says Sportomatic (autos) are nice cars but not financially rewarding, next up on the ladder are Targas, which to be honest are having a bit of a renaissance since Porsche reintroduced them with the 991. Then you can group them into models T, E and S in ascending order of desirability. S models are like gold dust. All manual coupes are going to be worth money but it depends on how much to restore wether you will realise immediate value.

When you're restoring a car, think of your number to repair, then double it and with a bit of luck you might be somewhere near.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/list/35/911t/

Good luck,
Paul

You might want to consider getting in touch with Porsche Club GB.
Their website will list the secretary in your region and a phone call may be rewarding as they have "registry owner" for each model range much like a subject matter expert who may be able to guide you on values, potential restorers and general advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back