Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PO441 Ecu fault code 997.2

bradmax57

Hi,

Found my little OBD BT reader, so plugged it in thinking it might show a fault for my home lights not working (oddly they worked first time this morning when I unlocked the car.....) but I got the following code showing

PO441 - Powertrain
Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

I have no idea what that means but I'm guessing its not great?

bradmax57 said:
Hi,

Found my little OBD BT reader, so plugged it in thinking it might show a fault for my home lights not working (oddly they worked first time this morning when I unlocked the car.....) but I got the following code showing

PO441 - Powertrain
Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

I have no idea what that means but I'm guessing its not great?

Usually a fuel tank vent issue

Petrol vapours from the fuel tank are stored in a carbon canister , when the engine is at operating temp the car will vent these gasses into the inlet manifold at times .. why waste free energy !

The lambda sensors will see this rich mixture and so weaken off .

If the car doesnt see the mixture get richer when it vents then it knows the system is not working and will flag a fault code.

Even if the vent is open and just air is being vented then the car can still adapt to this so you wont get any running faults with this type of problem.

The fault could be any part of the system though from the vent solinoid to a split pipe so its not the easiest fault in the world to fix.

Garage job really i would have said if you want it fixed .

Demort said:
Petrol vapours from the fuel tank are stored in a carbon canister , when the engine is at operating temp the car will vent these gasses into the inlet manifold at times .. why waste free energy !

The lambda sensors will see this rich mixture and so weaken off .

If the car doesnt see the mixture get richer when it vents then it knows the system is not working and will flag a fault code.

Even if the vent is open and just air is being vented then the car can still adapt to this so you wont get any running faults with this type of problem.

The fault could be any part of the system though from the vent solinoid to a split pipe so its not the easiest fault in the world to fix.

Garage job really i would have said if you want it fixed .

Thanks for the detailed reply, I've actually emailed the garage where I bought it from who are going to get back to me, will it cause any damage? it seems to be running fine as it is

I very much doubt the fault would cause any damage , its a pretty common fault on older Cayennes ..

It is possible a fault with the canister would cause a vacum in the petrol tank and collapse it .. you would already know this though as your fuel gauge wont work and youll only get about £15 of petrol in it till full !!

Very rare .. ive only seen it once .

Basically i can never say anything is 100 % even when im holding the broken part in my hand but from experience then pretty much no is the answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b8n8tai
Back