Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre gravity review

Poker2009

Just got back from Centre Gravity to have suspension bits checked and alignment done.

Mine is a C2S 2005 with 52k miles driven in London, I have had an alignment done once at 20k in 2010 at an OPC, and nothing was changed. Peter (at CG) confirmed no adjustments had ever been made.

I was a bit skeptical before going, as it is not the cheapest, and although having read so many positive reviews, some have said they change parts that sometimes are just a little worn, and if they change parts the car will inevitably feel better - wasn't sure before I went whether I was just going to get suckered or not.

What I found was Peter was very straight forward, answered all my questions, said no parts needed replacing, and all I paid for was the full alignment cost.

Although not the cheapest, and I have nothing else to really compare it to, I found he only did what he needed to, and has got the handling back to where it should be (perhaps better), as I think after 12 years and 52k miles, a lot was out of whack.

Hope this helps others in deciding whether to use them or not.

If not a rude question, what did CG charge for a full alignment?

Did they set to factory settings, or some 'secret sauce' based on your preferences as a driver?

CG charged me £300 6.5 years ago for a geo', nothing else needed. Very expensive but thorough. They adjusted to what I wanted (not factory 'safe' settings) and I was very pleased.

But, I haven't been back, for two reasons, it's a day out round trip and I used PSR a few years ago who were just as thorough, used similar equipment and were half the price. It's not rocket science, as long as the person doing the geo' has the right equipment, know-how, attention to detail and enthusiasm, you can't go wrong.

:agree:

I just had an a 4 wheel alignment at Tognola Porsche

http://www.tognolaengineering.com/

He used a beissbarth and factory GT3 settings as a starting point, I asked for a little more camber at either end, which is what i got.

Cost was £150 +VAT

I paid £325.

As I said, I have nothing to compare to, and can't therefore sit there and say they were amazing.

I am guessing, but I can imagine a lot of places will just make sure it was within tolerances, and so long as it is all green on the machine, will pass it.

Peter drove my car, pointed out a few things which he felt were faults, some of which I had thought were a problem, and others I was unaware of. I think it is at least somewhat tailored to your needs.

The car now handles really well, the guy was very thorough, didn't get ripped off for parts replacement and I thought deserved a positive review. I have had a lot of not so great experiences with so many garages, I am ok about paying a bit more for this.

Interesting... I had mine done by Northway, felt brilliant afterwards. It was a nearly 2 yrs ago and I'm wondering if its time to get it done again. Was thinking about CG, but probably overkill for me... as you say its a day out.

Only problem after having it done is I wince even more than usual every time I drive down a rutted and potholed road (i.e. 90% of the roads here is Oxfordshire/West Berks!)

I have a similar situation.....an 8 year old (09 plate) 997.1 C4s which I have owned for 3 years, bought at 41k and now has 54k miles, it feels a little light and floaty on the front at speed. It has had no damage or knocks that I am aware of but I want it to feel "planted" on the road at speed. I believe that this is a common maintenance requirement for these cars. If brakes and tyres can wear out , then steering parts, bushings and dampers etc can do the same.

I'm booked in with CG on June 2nd for a "health-check" and "Geometry" set up. I will make a report after the work and give an honest opinion of their service.

It's an over-nighter for me too, driving down from the North East. Watch this space in a few weeks for an update. :thumb:

Porschekit - Have you tried Redline? They're meant to be very good.

TBH, I wouldn't do another day out and especially overnight at £325 for a geo', I'd give Redline a call, pretty sure they are a well respected independent with good geo' facilities.

I know they are professionals and very reputable but at that money no thanks.

If it were a track car and I were winning races then yes but for public road use?

£100-£150 for adjusting a few bits and bobs is enough imo.

Martian,

Yes, thanks I know Redline. They are currently putting back together my friends 996 with GT3 kit, after it had a catastrophic engine failure.
He had them examine it and then decided to send the engine to Hartech for a full rebuild, then returned for installation back into the car. I know ....a run around, but that's how it worked out, partly because Redline are always away racing ! I want to make sure my geometry is done while I'm watching and CG are very accommodating in that regard.

Cheers
John

I just got a quote from c of g £325 and said it would take 4hrs ,i think this is a bit much if I'm honest .Instead Im getting mine done in swindon At imperial tyres for £144inc .Ive had a good recommendations for them and supposedly they know their way round a Porsche.

As above for a check and align its pretty standard stuff and i wouldn't expect to pay over £150

My experience of CG rated higher as my top mounts and rear coffin arms were shot, regardless of whether the geo was out.

Very wayward handling, so the before and after was significant .
Chris drove me down a B road and basically took his hands off the wheel at 60mph +

:grin: :thumb:

Have been wondering whether to get a full geo check/set up since fitting new wheels but mine still feels great to me, don't have a reference but Hartech said it handled great when they were testing after the rebuild! Think I will wait until I have it lowered and replace bushes etc! £300+ is a lot of money if not much needs doing.

My experience was worth every cent with CG. I'd have no hesitation in getting them to do it again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back