Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT - In, then out, then in love again!

Jamesyg

Morning All,

It's been a while since I posted anything here, with work being manic I just haven't found the time. Over the last 18 months, I've been on the fringe of selling my Turbo, with the intention of then pocketing the money and saving for either a GT3 or getting straight into a track ready 964. Having looked about, and tried a couple of cars - I came to the conclusion that I'd have to dig deep to get into what I wanted (i.e. around the £90k+ mark). Having then looked at more affordable cars - I was gaining absolutely nothing on my turbo, but taking on the risk of a car that had no love for years.

I then made the decision that although the turbo isn't the best basis car for me, I'd start the journey of turning into a track / road car and make the most of it - which is what I'm sharing here.

Over the last few months I've fitted cage, seats and harnesses - but made my life easy as follows;

Cage installed using 7/16 Grade 10 Studs - custom machined. This allows the cage to be installed easily - got the idea from the Americans.
Rennline harness mounts installed - for ease of harness removal.
Carbon GT3 replica Seats - from D911 - quality is much better then I expected.
GT2 sub bars
Scroth 6 Point Harnesses
GT3 Brake Ducts fitted
RSS Engine Mounts Fitted
Miltek Exhaust
Other mild mods
Fast Road Geo

Pleased with set up so far, off to Dinslaken this weekend with the crew here, but will be getting to Oulton Park on return to try it out.

Following this next parts will be GT3 Big Reds & Centre Gravity for a suspension overhaul.

It's never going to be a GT3 round the track - but doesn't stop me loving it for what it is!

Some pics!

upload pic

:thumbs: James,

See you at Le Shuttle on Saturday. :thumb:

That cage might come in handy if you forget to look the right way at junctions in Euroland. :D

Looks great, I am subscribed to this thread :)

T8 said:
:thumbs: James,

See you at Le Shuttle on Saturday. :thumb:

That cage might come in handy if you forget to look the right way at junctions in Euroland. :D

I don't know why they continue to insist on driving on wrong side of the road :dont know:

Great post OP.

A 997 GT3 is still 'calling' me, but at the same time, I love my 996 turbo. If I had funds, I'd keep it and have a GT3, no doubt. Getting rid of the 996tt and then buying a GT3, I have the morbid fear that; a.) I'd miss the grunt, even if the howl and power delivery of the N/A engine delight, b.) I'd paid three times the value of my 996tt, to have a car that I'd not get three times the enjoyment from, c.) I'd move from the devil I know to a whole new money pit.

I understand and appreciate what you;re doing here and it is a route I've considered, if only because getting into my car's seats with a crash helmet on does - if I sit upright enough to get a proper track driving position - see slight contact between helmet and roof that buckets would prevent.

For the uneducated here, like myself, can you expand a bit on the how and the why with the cage bolts?

Diggermeister said:
Great post OP.

A 997 GT3 is still 'calling' me, but at the same time, I love my 996 turbo. If I had funds, I'd keep it and have a GT3, no doubt. Getting rid of the 996tt and then buying a GT3, I have the morbid fear that; a.) I'd miss the grunt, even if the howl and power delivery of the N/A engine delight, b.) I'd paid three times the value of my 996tt, to have a car that I'd not get three times the enjoyment from, c.) I'd move from the devil I know to a whole new money pit.

I understand and appreciate what you;re doing here and it is a route I've considered, if only because getting into my car's seats with a crash helmet on does - if I sit upright enough to get a proper track driving position - see slight contact between helmet and roof that buckets would prevent.

For the uneducated here, like myself, can you expand a bit on the how and the why with the cage bolts?

Sounds like you are in exactly the same place as I am - the outlay won't support the return on a GT3 car. There may be a point that its a natural evolution, but that doesn't feel like now.

In terms of the studs vs. bolts debate. Fitting the tequipment cage is a challenging job - basically requires absoloute line up of each mounting point. The bolts then go through a large spacer, and into the seat belt mounting point. Aside from the fact this is challenging, with many people stripping the threads in the car - if you ever have to remove the bolt, the cage is at risk of shifting, and you start the process again!

The stud allows you to broadly line up the cage, insert the stud, and then the spacer over the top. You can then pull the cage into place via the spacer without risk of stripping the thread. You then clamp down via a nut.

The beauty with this set up is that you can then remove the nut for harness mounting. Or if you need to remove the seats, or for any other reason the cage bolt needs to come out. Basically - easier install, and easier retrospective use.

Only challenge is you can't buy the correct size studs (7/16" UNF in Grade 10.9 steel). Most bolts are 8.8, which won't fit with UK safety standards - maybe not a problem, but for a seatbelt mounting point I wasn't messing about! Cost me about £50 for 4 (2 spare) - and this was basically the cost of tooling.

I'd advise you to do it - really pleased with the way it's turned out!

Jamesyg said:
In terms of the studs vs. bolts debate.
Understood. One of my businesses runs Mazak CNC machine tools, so I guess, if need be, I could knock up some high-grade studs for my own use. Roughly how long were they?

I quite like the idea of making the car a bit more track-focussed, without going mad.

Diggermeister said:
Jamesyg said:
In terms of the studs vs. bolts debate.
Understood. One of my businesses runs Mazak CNC machine tools, so I guess, if need be, I could knock up some high-grade studs for my own use. Roughly how long were they?

I quite like the idea of making the car a bit more track-focussed, without going mad.

I used 4 1/2" Studs. 1/2" thread on one end, 1" no thread, 3" thread.

Worked a treat!

Looking very good Jamesyg, that cage looks very nice without paint, the seats look spot on too. I do really like your Meridian silver in the light levels in the photograph, very subtle.

Keep us all posted re further updates. Have you contacted Nick at Uber9s about brakes yet? He has tried everything under the sun with 996 brake upgrades, well worth having a phone call at the very least.

THanks guys! Centre console delete next!

Having travelled near on 2000 miles during my trip to Dinslaken, at 6ft 1 I got increasingly frustrated at the centre console - so on the day I got back - decided to get it out!

Have installed the GT3 centre console delete kit to free up some leg room. Missed a plastic cover I need to pick up tomorrow - but looks loads better!

I have removed the heated seats - but if required, the buttons could be relocated into the centre console.

Interior just needs a clean now!

Attachments

• img_1056_103.jpg
    img_1056_103.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9,852
  • img_1057_146.jpg
    img_1057_146.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 9,852
  • img_1059_128.jpg
    img_1059_128.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9,852
  • img_1061_493.jpg
    img_1061_493.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9,852
  • img_1066_132.jpg
    img_1066_132.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 9,852
Having travelled near on 2000 miles during my trip to Dinslaken, at 6ft 1 I got increasingly frustrated at the centre console - so on the day I got back - decided to get it out!

Have installed the GT3 centre console delete kit to free up some leg room. Missed a plastic cover I need to pick up tomorrow - but looks loads better!

I have removed the heated seats - but if required, the buttons could be relocated into the centre console.

Interior just needs a clean now![/quote]

I too elected to remove the centre console which I found largely useless. I bought the GT2 centre console delete carpet from Porsche at £140 and it looks superb, frees up space and it just looks right.
I also relocated the heated switches to the centre tunnel

The car looks fantastic! I am thinking of a cage for my 996 Turbo as I am another in the same dilemma, I cannot justify the money for GT3, and would miss my turbo too much, having owned if fro nearly 5 years! My turbo would never go on track, just love the club sport look

So with the cage, i have seen Agency Power cages from Porscheshop and then a cage from Design911. They say they fit without any modifications, or damage to any part of the car, or without having to permanently remove back seats. I don't want to modify my car permanently in any way if i needed to sell, is this the same for Tequiptment?

DANK_ART said:
The car looks fantastic! I am thinking of a cage for my 996 Turbo as I am another in the same dilemma, I cannot justify the money for GT3, and would miss my turbo too much, having owned if fro nearly 5 years! My turbo would never go on track, just love the club sport look

So with the cage, i have seen Agency Power cages from Porscheshop and then a cage from Design911. They say they fit without any modifications, or damage to any part of the car, or without having to permanently remove back seats. I don't want to modify my car permanently in any way if i needed to sell, is this the same for Tequiptment?

Stick with the tequipment cage mate. .. also bolts in without mods... except a tiny piece of trim cutting. .. that's it. Back seats can go back in easy enough... assume if you want a cage you don't use them?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back