Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Neil's 997.2 Carrera 2S PDK - Cleaned, Refined, Enjoyed.

neil_911

Monza
Hello all,

Recently become a 911 owner on Xmas Eve of last year, as a nice present to myself :)

Wanted a 911 for a few years now, 997.1 issues put me into save mode to get a stronger 997.2. Which i'm currently enjoying ownership very much!

It's a late 2008 C2S PDK, Sports chrono, PSM, PSE, Cruise etc etc. I'd shopped around for spec for months looking for the right one to turn up. Made the sacrifice of loosing heated seats though, but so far i'm not missing them much!

I've had 3 TT's in the past, 2 V6's and a 20VT, all played with, cleaned and enjoyed. Though i don't have massive plans for the 911 as yet.

This was my last TT
IMG_3357_zps26f571c9.jpg

Don't worry, no air ride plans for the 911!!

The day i collected the 911...

1827278E-2897-4AA8-B7B6-A690568AD174_zpswly1jexu.jpg

Gave the cars exterior a good clean and a coat of poor boys black nattys paste wax, Like magic to dark coloured cars! Brings up that deep black shine...

8BF95DBF-9DCB-47E2-9D1E-AEE267861B3F_zpsddhweufb.jpg

Took on a bit of maintenance recently, Had a slight brake judder and it looked as if someone had replaced the rear pads on very worn disks! :pc:
So i changed them out for new items and cleaned out the rear arches of years of stones, mud and crap build up!
Popped the front wheels off too, painted the disk centres as again the previous owner looked to have used a real harsh wheel cleaner! - All fresh again!

2D7EA318-C7C9-4E13-BF87-D000877ECC2C_zpsctakkk3y.jpg

E0482E75-0F83-4FB6-927F-7CBA5D6DA65B_zpsd1wybygs.jpg

AA0D36E3-35C7-4004-85D3-20E99AEBE0DC_zpsxqnmh3vd.jpg

Finding it real easy to work on actually, which i didn't really expect.

Changed one of the front coolant radiator hoses too, as it looked a common suspect for leaking and had a few early signs. The rest looked in tip top shape so covered them in wax oil to protect them for a good few more years yet.

27335C93-90CA-442D-A6B1-FE62C6E92E8F_zpsiotgzooz.jpg

Not surprised it was leaking abit!

I changed out the drive belt too at the same time as i couldn't find a record of it being done at the 8 year interval. Removed one looked fine though.

Next up, the number plate lights were annoying me, every other light on the car is a modern LED yet they're still dull incandescent ones.
Did some digging and found VW golf ones fit (LED ones) and with some modification, the rear end was brought into the modern age!

9E93BA36-2CD5-452C-A2B8-2157770E97BE_zpsvk9hxm3x.jpg

6575EC9B-90AC-4AD4-A4DF-9C104ABE0355_zpsih3ibstc.jpg

They look a lot brighter in the last picture, but they really aren't that bad. No brighter than new beemer stuff.

Just a few more pictures from a spring drive

D8ED8CDF-4D3F-44E7-A62F-1A970A5668E3_zpswup5hq4o.jpg

89D8F5C2-41DD-4F0D-AEBA-FC68AECD86EF_zpsvexfkbnu.jpg

B07FBD8A-BA0B-4303-BC32-5644235FD90F_zpsl9yfcli1.jpg

IMG_3552_zpsrezbqga1.jpg

That's Porsche ownership up to date i think so far.

Taking her to a professional to have it detailed properly and sealed. Then its off for a drive through Europe to Monza. :)

Looks great!

Daft question - what jack and stands do you use and is it easy enough to do? Only thinking ahead to when I put some winter wheels on mine.

Thanks

Paul

Cheers!

My trusty halfords jack got it in the air with a rubber foot i made so it doesn't remove any underseal from the jack points, then supported with two 3 point axle stands on the rear subframe ( i know it looks as if the jacks holding it but its not :lol:) I had both rear wheels off and brakes off at the same time to adjust the parking brake equally.

The front isn't as easy because of all the under trays though. No perfect way to do it without removing an under tray to get to the front subframe. It's possible to jack the car high up enough using the rear jack point, to slot a stand in the front jack point position, But there becomes a point jacking from the other side where it pivots over. No biggy, but abit unnerving. If it's a quick swap around, I'd personally risk it on the jack..I'd never get under it though unless it was properly supported.

Looking good Neil, & :welcome:

Love the penultimate pic!

Neil welcome to the forum and a lovely looking 911! I use poor oys black hole and then finish with a zymol wax, I'm coming to the end with the zymol and was wondering about the poor boys wax, is it easy on easy off like the black hole and does it last?

I'm also doing Monza for the F1 have you picked a route yet?

:thumb:

Thanks Lads :)

silvermilnec said:
Neil welcome to the forum and a lovely looking 911! I use poor oys black hole and then finish with a zymol wax, I'm coming to the end with the zymol and was wondering about the poor boys wax, is it easy on easy off like the black hole and does it last?

I'm also doing Monza for the F1 have you picked a route yet?

:thumb:

I find the poorboys black hole glaze really good, just not durable so i understand why you use a zymol over the top of it. The paste wax is just as easy to apply and remove, but does last around a month before being noticeably different. I do drive the car daily too. I don't mind it not being as durable because its so easy to put on and take off!

Yeah sure have, I've been through europe before with the TT, so a similar route.

Getting the ferry over to Rotterdam, Then driving to Nurburgring, Stuttgart (porsche factory and museum) Munich, Salzburg, Through the austrian alps (including grossglochner) to innsbruck, Then through Switzerland to monza.
Back up through Switzerland to france, stopping off at Spa on the way home catching the ferry from zeebrugge. :)

Welcome to the club Neil.
Car looks great and nice to see some DIY going on - you are quite right when you say they are quite easy to work on - the quality shines through when you start taking stuff apart IMHO.

Thanks Rob,

Yeah the caliper design was refreshing compared to working on Audi's and VW's for years!

Was impressed with the bumper cut out behind the number plate to get to the engine spacer when changing the drive belt. Someone actually thought about it! :lol:

I reckon coil packs and spark plugs might be next on the to do list, Fancy a sport steering wheel with the correct paddle set up too - i really can't get used to the multi function wheel.

I've got a good friend that fabricates exhausts, He made one on my TT and i know he's itching to get started on the 911.

My TT system

11844977_439888912862315_53678151306765699_o-2_zpshczpmpzq.jpg

8)

Scholester said:
Great exhaust work from your pal.

Nice to hear more and more people working on their car. Check out the jack listed below (currently out of stock) as they are top notch.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/gara...jacks/tj2-5lp-low-profile-garage-trolley-jack

Yeah gets really good reviews that jack, Friend of mine has one and they're great.

I always keep an eye on lidl and aldi deals for stuff like that. Axle stands, Low entry jacks. They always have random offers on them every now and again!

Looks fab :thumb:

Love the wheels :wink:

Your intro say PSE, but exhaust tips are not standard Gen 2 PSE - have you an alternative arrangement?

Enjoy :)

Seventy Seven said:
Looks fab :thumb:

Love the wheels :wink:

Your intro say PSE, but exhaust tips are not standard Gen 2 PSE - have you an alternative arrangement?

Enjoy :)

Haha, Cheers. I like the wheels also - which is odd because it's something i always end up changing on my cars. They could do with a refurbish though.

Yeah that's my bad, learning the Porsche acronyms :lol: I meant PCM. (Satnav, phone connectivity and all that jazz.

I'd considered maybe converting to the PSE (porsche sports exhaust) :lol: But gonna go custom i think :)

Think my most favourite thing on it is the sunroof!

Lovely car :thumb: Welcome to the forum!

Neil I washed mine today after a machine polish last week topped off with poor boys black hole and zymol to seal. I've never had beading so good the water just ran off!!
We are going via the tunnel, not picked the route yet but the know we are doing some WW1 stuff.
How did you paint the centre of the disks?
Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back