Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Wheels

DucatiRob

So my new Oz Leggera HLT's arrived today :D

Absolutely love them :thumb: They are a darker silver than I imagined from the pics on the Oz website, almost a graphite colour which is no bad thing as I had thought a darker colour might go well with my Midnight Blue bodywork!

The wheels look very well made and a nice finish! One annoyance is that the inside of the wheel is not as nicely finished as the outside, why do wheel manufacturers do this? Another annoyance is that the rears are ET65, not the ET50 I had ordered, so I will have to use my existing 15mm spacers so not too worried!

I thought I would see how much it would cost for a mobile fitter to fit my new Michelin PSS and swap the TPMS sensors over from the old wheels...£170 I was quoted :eek: :eek: So popped into a local tyre outfit that I have used before and they can do it for £80 - £85, bit more like it! Think I will bung then a few quid if they promise not to scrape my new rims :?: I just have to work out the logistics of getting all the wheels and tyres with the car to them and bring back my old wheels!!

I also got some Gtechniq C5 delivered today to give the wheels a coat before they go on, I only got the 15ml bottle thinking it would be enough to do all the wheels but according to the instructions it will only do the face of a set of 18" wheels! Anyone used C5? Is it worth the money?? If it will only do the front of the wheels, would cost £50+ to do them all over :eek:

IMG_0108.jpg

I have used the C5 for a a year - I haven't seen that coverage written anywhere? The 15ml bottle does 6 wheels for me, face and inside wheel.

Its a bit of a PITA to apply 'cos you can't see what you have covered.

But it is good stuff and dirty /brake dust does wash off much more easily.

Nice wheels!

I like C5, works really well and used it a number of times, 15mm should be more than enough, anything left can be used on your black vinyl trims to darken and maintain them, great on the scuttle panel. C5 is the same as C2 or C4 in different bottles.
I tend to use ExoV2 on top on the wheels, a double coat but only as its so hard to see that you've covered anything, adds a bit of extra gloss. I apply the first coat of Exov2 around 8 hours after the c5 and then the second coat as soon as I've finished the first on all wheels.

Fitting around £80 sounds somewhere around reasonable.

Rob those babys will look the dogs on your Midnight Blue , very similar colour to mine on midnight :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• 28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_134.jpg
    28685658252_5637ed60a0_c_134.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 5,417
Lovely looking wheels. :thumb:

My detailer did my new 20" Turbo wheels on all surfaces with Gtechniq C5. That was 3 years ago. The brake dust and crud still just slide off when washed, so highly recommend an all-over coating.

Cheers guys :thumb: Can't wait to get them fitted tomorrow!

Will give them a coat of C5 in the morning, give them a few hours to cure before being fitted!

G technique stuff is supposed to be the dogs dangles. Haven't tried it yet but I'm just getting a set of m3 wheels refurbed so need to sort them out. The last set I had done I use poorboys wheel sealant and it it stood up well to loads of abuse from trackday brake dust etc.

Phil 997 said:
Rob those babys will look the dogs on your Midnight Blue , very similar colour to mine on midnight :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yes Phil, I do like your wheels too and did consider a set, really like the deep dished rear on the Vertini's! But being both Midnight Blue, if we ever met it would be like two girls wearing the same dress :hand: :mrgreen:

DucatiRob said:
Phil 997 said:

Yes Phil, I do like your wheels too and did consider a set, really like the deep dished rear on the Vertini's! But being both Midnight Blue, if we ever met it would be like two girls wearing the same dress :hand: :mrgreen:

only a problem if we met in Essex Rob :floor: :floor: :floor: looking forward to seeing a pic of yours fitted mate :thumb: :thumb:

Nice wheels! When it comes to having tyres fitted it does no harm to ask your local tyre boys if they have a machine with nylon jaws on it to hold the wheels. Many garages still use machines with metal jaws and those machines are much more likely to cause damage to the rims during the fitting process. If you struggle to find a local fitter with one it might be worth getting a price to fit the tyres from your local Merc or BMW main dealer. They will have the right kit and staff to fit tyres to big expensive wheels without damaging anything. Worth paying a few quid more for a proper job IMHO.

J Holmes said:
Nice wheels! When it comes to having tyres fitted it does no harm to ask your local tyre boys if they have a machine with nylon jaws on it to hold the wheels. Many garages still use machines with metal jaws and those machines are much more likely to cause damage to the rims during the fitting process. If you struggle to find a local fitter with one it might be worth getting a price to fit the tyres from your local Merc or BMW main dealer. They will have the right kit and staff to fit tyres to big expensive wheels without damaging anything. Worth paying a few quid more for a proper job IMHO.

Agreed. And I've found that it helps to simply stand and watch the tyre fitter at work.

Look forward to seeing these fitted, I almost bought a set! Went another way in the end, but still enjoy a good look out!

Rob, they look fantastic mate.

Get some photos on here as soon as :thumb:

My lobsters are getting refurbished at the mo and looked at the oz but decided the money will go on suspension instead so I'm eagerly awaiting to see what they look like :grin:

Just a small word of warning about coating the insides of your wheels.

I recently coated a set all over before having tyres fitted (CQUK rather that C5, but it's all basically the same stuff) and I've had problems with the balancing weights just falling off. The coating is so good that the adhesive on the weights is having trouble sticking to the surface. I've had to machine polish the insides to try and remove the coating and then get them re-balanced.

I'll leave the coating on the wheel fronts but go back to my old favourite of FK1000p for the insides in future. Lesson learned.

You could wait to coat the insides until after you've had the tyres fitted and balanced but you might get an issue next time you get tyres fitted depending on how well the coating has lasted.

Yes, I have heard on other forums about weights becoming detached. The advice & answer was to complete any cleaning / lacquer as step 1, step 2 mask off two circumferences one on the inside edge and one on the outer edge. Then apply any final coating and leave to dry. Once all the processes are completed remove the masking tape or gaffer tape to allow the balancing weights a good adhesive surface to bond onto.

:thumb:
Might just be worth leaving the tape on for the tyre fitter to remove. Then you know for sure.

If the inside isn't brilliant then this weekend is a good time to finish them as it's going to be good weather by all accounts.

Or if you're not happy with the offsets being so far away from the manufacturers specification of 57 & 67 (I think) especially compared to the money you've had to spend, you have the right to reject and get your money back.

Leave it with you, before you commit to using them.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back