Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Welded crankcase is it safe.

dan4s997

Silverstone
Im in the process of getting my engine rebuilt due to the engine throwing a rod. After purchasing a crankshaft and carrier the seller chucked in a pair of crank cases. The one side of the crankcase had a small welded repair the size of a ten pence piece. The other side of the repair is a oil gully. Ive spoken to a few places that said that crank cases can be welded such as hartech and twg porsche. Other places said they cant. Has anyone heard of this being done or knows of any places that could check it or possibly reweld? Or is a new crankcase the only option.

Thanks dan

I guess if it's a small crack and not in a particularly stressed area then it would be fine to weld. A good welder could probably make it stronger than it was originally!

A good weld will easily be as strong as the original casting.
If you dress the weld up and get the crankcases vapour blasted then the repair has the potential to be invisible.

Just a suggestion, but how 'bout calling Hartech directly and asking? The answers you get will likely be more accurate than from "the internet" (even though everything on the net is true, of course :wink:). And was it Hartech or someone else reputable who did the welding? Just because it can be done doesn't mean everyone can do it.

Older, air-cooled cases were welded relatively regularly when possible. The trick was getting it done by someone with a good rep.

Thanks for the advice. No it was welded when i got it. I just dont know if the weld is up to. Or instead of the repair being full of weld is it better to machine a piece in then weld round.

dan4s997 said:
Thanks for the advice. No it was welded when i got it. I just dont know if the weld is up to. Or instead of the repair being full of weld is it better to machine a piece in then weld round.

If its was a crack it would probably have been cut out beyond the crack and filled with weld, if a chunk was missing then a piece might well have been welded back in!

As others have said, any weld is only as good as the welder and the material they use!

Does anybody know what type of aluminium the crankcases are made out of?

If it's like the earlier cars, the type is cast into the part. I read elsewhere it was AlSi9 (Fe) for the 996.

Welded repairs to fill a hole that simply keeps the oil or coolant inside the engine should be perfectly OK.

A problem can emerge when a weld crosses a joint line - because often the aluminium very slightly shrinks on either side of the weld and creates a small hollow that can be difficult to fill with sealant.

Some areas (like the inside of the crankcase where it joins to the crank carrier) form a seal for the oil pressure so any leak is a serious problem and you cannot machine it flat again or the parts will not fit together properly.

The sealant chosen can also be a problem. The silicon sealant used by many will squeeze into the internal oil galleries that feed the crankshaft bearings and so using it to excess can result in a small part of it breaking off when it has set and blocking an oil delivery hole - so an anaerobic sealant could be better if there is a gap to fill because it will not set and wash away during the first run except where it has been trapped between the surfaces.

Each case would require looking at by someone experienced and only then can the success of the welded part be confirmed or questioned.

Baz

Thanks for the advice. I have the original broken crank case still. Do you think it would be worth cutting a piece out of that in the same location and get it machined into the new crank case. Then i could have it welded round after?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back