Welcome to 911UK
The only place for Porsche, 911uk is the definitive enthusiast and resource site for the Porsche 911.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so join up today for full access to the site and benefit from latest member offers.

Porsche Classifieds
Porsche Buyers Guides
Sell Your Porsche on 911uk
Create a Free Classified Advert
Search Ads
Classified Adverts FAQ
Trade Classified Information
Buyer & Seller Fraud Protection
Consumer Rights Act
Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI)
Porsche Car Sourcing
Porsche Cars Wanted
Official Porsche Centre Reviews
Model
Stock
Porsche 911
991 : 2011- 22
997 : 2004- 84
996 : 1997-2005 47
993 : 1993-1998 5
964 : 1989-1993 3
Carrera 3.2 : 1983-1989 0
Carrera SC : 1977-1983 2
930 Turbo : 1975-1989 0
Early 911 : 1964-1977 3
Porsche Other Models
Classic : 1950-1965 0
Boxster : 1997- 14
Cayman : 2005- 16
Cayenne : 2003- 7
Macan : 2014- 0
Panamera : 2009- 1
912-914-924-928-944-968 1
959 - CarreraGT - RaceCar 1
Car Parts For Sale & Wanted
Other Items For Sale & Wanted
Wheels Tyres For Sale & Wanted
Number Plates For Sale Wanted

Porsche Services
Porsche Body Shop Repair
Paint Protection & Wrapping
Porsche Classic Insurance
Porsche Classic Parts
Porsche Classic Restoration
Porsche Design Collection
Porsche Engine Gearbox Rebuild
Porsche Heritage & History
Porsche News
Porsche Picture Gallery
Win a New Porsche 911

Porsche Parts
Body Parts, Body Styling
Brakes, Clearance
Electrical, Exhausts
Engine Cooling, Engine Electrical
Engine Rebuild, Heating Cooling
Interior Incar, Lighting
Rubber Seals, Service Parts
Steering, Suspension
Transmission, Workshop Tools
Early 911, 911 - 930, 928 - 968
964 - 993, 996 - 997, Boxster
Cayman, Cayenne, Panamera

Porsche Model Range
911 [991] 2011-Current
Porsche 911 [991]
911 [997] 2004-Current
Porsche 911 [997]
911 [GT] GT1-GT2-GT3
Porsche 911 [GT]
911 [996] 1997-2005
Porsche 911 [996]
911 [993] 1993-1998
Porsche 911 [993]
911 [RS] RS-RSR
Porsche 911 [RS]
911 [964] 1989-1993
Porsche 911 [964]
911 3.2 1983-1989
Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera
911 SC 1977-1983
Porsche 911 SC
911 [Early] 1964-1977
Porsche 911 [Early]
Boxster & Cayman
Porsche Boxster & Cayman
Cayenne & Panamera
Porsche Cayenne & Panamera

911uk Site Partners

James.hunter1985

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely car Thumb
I have to say aero kits on narrow C2s really work (although I am a little biased)

What are the next plans?!

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers James,

I have a few things planned not sure in what order.

Gt3 dash delete few people mentioned it and always liked the more simplistic look myself,

Topgear manifolds
Topgear x pipe sport cats added to my OEM PSE system that also needs a minor seam repair on one side.

Rear brake disc/pads

Other than that i want to drive it lots this summer, today i had planned for a nice drive out as it STILL hasn't turn a wheel since the detail last week just not had the time to get down collect the car and go.. frustrated

I have noticed one of the headlight washer jet 'nipples' on one of my litronic headlights is missing i want to replace it (tiny detail i know!) just one is missing but wouldn't have a clue what the part is and where to buy it. any ideas?

James.hunter1985

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the console delete and I much prefer the space and looks of it. Unfortunately I couldn't get the light grey colour to match the carpet but I've got long term plans for the interior anyway so it doesn't matter too much.

I've no idea for the headlight washer but completely get where you are coming from. I want to get my headlights detailed/refurbed soon.

What are the yokos like to run?

demon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever actually used the headlight washer jets?
(I replaced the entire unit on one side with a used one to ensure I had 2 fully working, periscoping washers..........despite the fact I never actually use them)

Word of warning - be fully inside the car in a remote location with all the windows shut when you do - I don't know who designed them, but they will easily also clean your windscreen and the underside of any low flying planes!!!

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James- Cool where did you buy your delete kit? keep us posted on your interior plans Thumb

Have you got yellowing on your headlights? if so get a cutting compound and either use elbow power or a rotor polisher does the trick.

Yoko's are really good not done many miles on them but the driving i have done in wet and dry seem good, time will tell but so far so good.

Demon- no i haven't used them lol i'm just being a tart and having one nipple missing annoys me Embarassed now you mention how bad they are i want to give them a go and see!

James.hunter1985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM30 wrote:
James- Cool where did you buy your delete kit? keep us posted on your interior plans Thumb

Have you got yellowing on your headlights? if so get a cutting compound and either use elbow power or a rotor polisher does the trick.

Yoko's are really good not done many miles on them but the driving i have done in wet and dry seem good, time will tell but so far so good.

Hi mate
I was lucky enough to get the main carpet section from this forum just as I was about to order from the OPC. They are a special order part from what I was told. In the end I just needed the plastic bit so saved a few quid Thumb

Yes I need to pull my finger out and get on with the lights. I haven't been brave enough yet!

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple post!!
-Classic Mini 1275cc resto project (Cant wait!)

Last edited by JM30 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error double post

Last edited by JM30 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update,

First off i have gone through from page 1 to 4 making sure all my previous pictures are back on instead of a grey failed picture box thanks to PB PC so now hosting with Postimage, i want to keep this a thread for myself to view and anyone interested in seeing pictures Smile

So i have recently been just driving an enjoying it as much as i can and keeping on top of any maintenance needed, as mentioned above i have been having a buzzing / vibrating type noise when the exhaust is cold goes away once warm but annoys the hell out of me for a few miles so popped along to Fast road conversions based in Ashford Kent, used these guys before on my Lotus Exige exhaust, they are Topgear/long life exhausts fabricators, nice bunch and always happy to supply tea and let me nose under the car and watch them work, so i took it along and mentioned the problem they said 'seams' before i said anything else! but i wanted to get it to make the noise first so i could try give them an idea....for love nor money could i get it to replicate the noise frustrated i looked like a bloody tart making up a noise saying 'honest it does it all the time and its horrible' ha! he used a stethoscope while the car idles checking all seams closely and found no blow from any of the seams, so asked me what i felt would be the next step as i still to this point could no get the dam thing to perform! so we took all the exhaust off bar the manifolds, i had a new exhaust sleeve kit that i wanted fitting anyhow, while the exhausts silencers off and cats he renewed all 3 studs and nuts on each of the exhausts silencer mounts and all 6 bolts/nuts on the cat the manifold flanges and fitted the new sleeve kit and clamps, we also found one side the valve actuator was seized shut so renewed that now both actuators working perfectly white greased for future protection, while the silencers are on the bench he assessed the seams fully and said no obvious blows and gave them the all clear but said future seam repair is likely but now every bolt holding the exhaust being new it will be easy to remove and repair when i decide.

While the exhausts silencers are off he also gave them a shake to see if we could hear anything loose or rattling (not too technical but short of cutting them open no way to know!!) my issue at this stage is apart from renewing all bots in sight and new actuator and assessment of the seams no actual repair has taken place in terms of what i was expecting for the noise i get every time i use the car when its not fully warm, so at this point i agree to have it re fitted and then test, by this time it will be obviously cold.

I had them spray the inside of the exhaust tailpipe tips black to make them look fresh.

All fitted started it up and nothing, all sounded superb as it always has when warm, in fact it sounds bloody great now both silencers open and close correctly so its much louder than before! guy looked chuffed as did i but i still wasn't convinced as i know my car and its always only when i drive it for a few min's it starts so i paid up drove out and guess what....half a miles down the road buzzing/vibrating noise happens just like before.. livid but i thought about it, i might not have figured out the noise but i at least now know the exhaust has been 'serviced/overhauled' to a degree and i now can't blame it on seams or baffle, i did however notice a slightly loose edge on the exhaust heat shield on the offending side too, i have a feeling this could possibly be the problem i'm yet to see if it is as it was getting on and had my daughter wanting to go play park!!

Annoyingly i still have not had the chance to look so tomorrow i will hope to get to the bottom of this horrid noise when cold.

Any views on what else it could be please let me know, looking forward to Brands this Sunday i was hoping to get to the bottom of this by then.

demon
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat shields are something of an ongoing saga with these cars - the small number of fittings to the 'body' of the car and the thin crimpled nature of the material they're made of......
- walk around the back quarter of the car firmly thumping the bumper skin at regular points and you'll soon identify any tell tale buzzing rattles

it's then typically the MacGyver fix of your choice
- even brand new heat shields can show the same symptoms with just a few months of use if the car is a daily driver exposed to regular cruddy weather

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ok so could be into something then with the heat shield idea, i still didn't get round to it school holidays keeping me busy on my day off!

Thanks Demon for the heads up, i will use your tip in the morning i hope it doesn't involve removing the silencer to fix,

Thumb

Jamesx19
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut open an exhaust box on a previous 996 which had the sports boxes fitted.

I believe they were Eisenman, which are/were possibly the Porsche Sports Exhaust.
There was a buzz/rattle that was horrible at around 2200 rpm. There are threads on some American forums I think, but basically the inside of the box is split into 3 chambers.
The inlet pipe passes one way through all three, then outlet again through all three, with a bypass that goes just through the first chamber (hence free'r flowing and louder).
The chambers are divided by a sheet of steel welded perpendicular to the sides of the box. The welds are small and can break. The buzz or rattle is the thin steel plate vibrating against the sides and the pipes in the box, with the exhaust gases pulsing through the silencer box.

Easyish to fix. Cut open a square or rectangle out of the centre part of one side of the box. Locate and re weld broken welds, weld back in the bit you cut out. Not pretty but effective.

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James for the detailed information on this, although i was really hoping this wouldn't be the case! it has always been my suspicion and if so i will pass your information onto them, thank you.

It sure is a horrible resonated buzz/vibration not a blow type boomy noise. really hard to describe, and as i found out does not do it until the car has moved off that's the puzzling part? but genuinely embarrassing while its doing this as it takes over the exhaust note until warm.

Jamesx19
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

I used this link to Rennlist below to know where I needed to cut.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/883654-gut-job-for-sound-performance.html

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted soon.

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one James,

I'll update on how i get on with it, i won't be giving up until i fix it!

Cheers

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so weather is looking nicer and days are a little longer now so have taxed the 996 looking forward to getting it out for some drives and got loads of shows this season to attend to with the 996 i cannot wait! Very Happy

I also have plans to get it serviced within the next month or so and new bits fitted, currently compiling parts so when its in for the service it will have everything fitted, was last serviced at PARR last year along with many other things done (only traveled 1500 miles since Surprised the oil is as new as it was when it went in! and hasn't used a drop but its having Mobil 1 0w-40 x8 litres of new stuff regardless of this and new filter + inspection,

New rear brake discs and Brembo pads, ATE TYP 200 brake fluid change, Goodrich Braided lines front and rear, and while it is on the ramp i'm having all the calipers taken off so i can have them all freshly powder coated and new PORSCHE stickers fitted this is the quest for making it looking a fresh as possible,

Not sure what colour to go for its only between 3 colours not looking at reds/yellow or blue, i want to either go gloss black as it is now but without the peeling! or i thought a nice high gloss colour like a shadow silver black colour or a light bronzed colour with red Porsche lettering ordered already.

Or anthracite?

I wanted to update this thread so will keep it posted with pics of progress on it and other things planned, loving everyone's threads and feeds my appetite with mine, love it more and more! can't wait to go driving now.

Cheers

Last edited by JM30 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Marky911
Kyalami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice work going on there. Thumb

Brakes are very next on my list. Same as you, discs, pads, lines and caliper repaint. I'm just going boring red from standard black as I'm just going for the GT3 look. If you want to be different then I like the sound of both the bronze and anthracite with red lettering. Should look nice against a silver car.

I look forward to seeing it. Cool

It's frustrating binning perfect oil every year regardless of mileage isn't it!
Has to be done though eh.

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marky911, Yes it's got to be done as you say and didn't get a bad deal from OPIE oil, check the website for a deal on that oil 5ltr plus 3x1ltr then add the 911uk discount on top of the deal they are doing, i got a great deal approx 45% of brakes on euro car parts along with the filter etc so been shopping around thumbsup

Red calipers look great you can't go wrong, i like red just thought i might try a different colour but have red letters to get some red on them too, will look out for your update thread too,

I was soo very close ordering a new 200cell xpipe on the topgear group buy just typical a few more important non car related things came up right as i was ordering!!

I shall update with pictures

JM30
Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few pics from Brands Hatch last year forgot to add them to the thread, i was going through some pictures on my laptop,

Parked in some great company Smile

Fastlane
Spa-Francorchamps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM30 wrote:
Few pics from Brands Hatch last year forgot to add them to the thread, i was going through some pictures on my laptop,

Parked in some great company Smile

You have a lovely looking car there.Thumb

That Zanzibar Red GT3 is Cloud 9 The reason I bought my Zanzibar Red C4 was because I saw one of these at a Goodwood breakfast meeting back in 2007 (and I can't afford a GT3...) and of course the GT3 and C4 have the same chassis.
1992 Zermatt Silver 964 turbo
1991 Midnight Blue 964 turbo
1994 Guards Red 968 Sport
1987 Baltic Blue 928 S4 auto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: