Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 GT3 LSD Worn?

johntyboy

Hi Gents

Just wondering if there is a definitive way of telling if the LSD is worn.

I have had a search on the forum but not found an answer.

The reason I ask is it span what felt like an inside wheel while I was going up a steep hairpin bend. (I was crawling at about 15mph at the time)

Car is a 2004 996 GT3 with 33000 miles.

Kind Regards

the oem diff is only really good for 20k kms

certainly doesnt last very long at all

04 car with 33k, it would be worn out

911UK said:

Seriously?? How many ££££ is a new one?

Robertb said:
911UK said:

Seriously?? How many ££££ is a new one?

Porsche Direct are selling a brand new Cup unit for £1500 from memory on eBay. That will last forever and comes with the usual 2 yrs warranty. Then you have to factor in installation, which is not that much actually... £2k all in is my prediction.

Thanks for the info guys, will have a good read of that link.

Kind Regards

£1500 for diff cup plates is a lot. I had JZM replace my riff plates with cup plates in 2010 all in £1200 including plates at about £650. Now running guard diff unit I'd do some ringing around personally.

Cunno said:
£1500 for diff cup plates is a lot. I had JZM replace my riff plates with cup plates in 2010 all in £1200 including plates at about £650. Now running guard diff unit I'd do some ringing around personally.

We are talking about the whole unit - carrier and all. That price is a Billy Bargain, especially with a 2yrs warranty

Cheburator said:
Cunno said:

We are talking about the whole unit - carrier and all. That price is a Billy Bargain, especially with a 2yrs warranty

Interesting why replace full unit only the plates wear out?

Cunno said:
Cheburator said:
Cunno said:

Interesting why replace full unit only the plates wear out?

I don't know if it applies in this particular case, but the usual reason is labour costs (i.e. swapping in a complete unit off the shelf works out cheaper than taking out the old one, stripping down and rebuilding then reinstalling). Even the independents can have fairly hefty hourly rates, especially down South...

At the supplier end their pricing can also reflect inventory/warehousing costs, so they mainly carry stock of assemblies rather than discrete components (with the individual bits and bobs priced at a premium or not available individually at all).

The final consideration is that since we are talking about a motorsport part, for racing teams they may favour having the thing ready built and ready to swap in simply for time reasons, so there may be a supply of surplus completely built spare units in the market suppressing the prices?

Cheburator said:
Cunno said:

It would were it true; however, Motorsport parts don't carry any warranty at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back