Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

30K C2.

I was at my local boozer Friday avo and a local, how would you put it, tycoon was there (a family member of probably the richest family in the area). He knows his stuff about cars, bikes, campers, etc. and loves anything 'cool'. He came over to me outside and had a good look at my car, smiled and said "That's only going one way".

Must admit, put quite a smile on my face. :)

There have been one or two stories (on here, but no details) of cars going in the high twenties. I think the best will be £30k before summer is out.

That's certainly the figure I would want for my car if anyone wanted to buy it - without me being "ready" to sell.

This whole subject is particularly interesting to me as I have two dogs in this fight (as it were), given that my other car is a 1996 850R:

33936501195_605b4514e3_b.jpg

Which were ~2k for a good one for years, but now there's a real question mark over what to price them at.

Given the amount of money I've put into mine over the ten years I've had her I'd need to sell for about 30 grand to break even, but of course that's not the way maintenance/upgrades work.

Very interested to see where these trade at over the next couple of years anyway - there are probably 70 left, and probably two thirds of those are on their way out as things fail.

Everyone is reporting that 996 prices are going up - people are now realising that good 996.1's are a good investment and so enthusiasts and investors are starting to enter the market, which is driving up prices.

Only last year a good aerokit 3.4 was mid to late teens, now they are £20k+. I have talked to several dealers all saying that demand is increasing all the time for good cars.

As has already been said, I would agree the end of the Summer, it will be increasingly common for good cars to reach £25k+ and exceptional cars will be £30k+, like the one the OP linked to. I would say that c.£30k for this car (if it is truly exceptional) will be a good buy for someone.

Whether this is good or bad depends on your situation - I sold my 964 turbo in late 2010 for £27.5k and it is now worth £100k plus, so I am hoping 996 values will rise to make me feel slightly better about that! :grin:

It's bound to happen now I have sold mine!!! It only went 2 weeks ago and prices are already hitting 30k???

jimmy p said:
It's bound to happen now I have sold mine!!! It only went 2 weeks ago and prices are already hitting 30k???

It's called sod's law! Quick you'd better buy another one. 8)

As much as I like my 996.1, being realistic £30k is an awful lot for one of those, there's a lot of very nice options for that money.

When all the madness settles down I see 996 carrera's at 15-20, C4S at 20-25, turbo at 30-40 and GT3 50-60. How long it will take to settle down is another question

I think immaculate 996.2 C4's with less than 60k on them should be worth £25k now ;-)

Now that would make cost of change for a turbo way more palatable!

A boy can dream........

Rich

Half the problem is that most of them are just not that nice.
Poorly maintained, shoddy paint repairs and generally unloved.
There is the odd exception though.

Surely by the logic of that being worth 30, a c4s should be 40 and a turbo maybe 50k, seeing as figures are being plucked out the air lol.

Funnily enough, there was a link at the bottom of the page for a 4S with 67k, £27,750.

I suppose you can ask what you like, the proof of the pudding is if they are selling...

chriscoates81 said:
Surely by the logic of that being worth 30, a c4s should be 40 and a turbo maybe 50k, seeing as figures are being plucked out the air lol.

I disagree, the logic is that an early C2 is a great car because it is light and simple with fewer electronic aids than the later heavier cars. On that basis a C4s would be worth £20k, not £40k. The turbo is too different to be compared IMO.

MC

I agree with MC.
The purists and drivers always want the 2wd, N/A, narrow bodied cars for that authentic 911 feedback and nimbleness. Look at 964s etc.
However the widebodied S models also have their own appeal and obviously command a premium. Look at 993s.
I see mint C2 manual coupes and mint C4S' ending up at a similar price point.
Turbos, whatever generation, are always in their own little market.

Be careful what you wish for though. Having owned a car that was increasing in value rapidly I can say first hand that it takes the shine off things if you suddenly start watching the odometer every journey etc.

Rising prices are great if you're into all that and can afford to have a dozen cars sitting in storage whilst still also being able to afford other nice cars to actually use.
For the average joe though it generally just means yet another model they are priced out of and if you can afford one, you find parts prices rise, along with Insurance etc and you find yourself fighting with pure speculators over cars and rare parts.

It's nice to know you're not losing a load in depreciation but to be honest if you add up maintenance costs, and I mean proper maintenance, then any talk of profit is man maths at its finest. :puh:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back