Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

its been a while ...

stokie1

Spa-Francorchamps
gents - advice please

I have owned 2 gen 1 997's - a 2s and a 4s - loved both - a while ago now

I have been "without toy" for a little while but am now looking to buy

my question

would I notice a big difference with a 997 turbo?
would I like the tiptronic of the gen 1
does it make a great noise

also - I expect a slightly bias response but I am sure a few have gone through this process - I am also considering the following

991 c2s
F360
Vantage
R8
F type 5L

pros and cons - and what would you do - my porkers have been tin tops

This car will be a weekender

This forum was a mine of info when I was an owner and I hope someone can help me in my current dilemma

45-55 budget

Welcome back!

Totally down to personal prefs, but in order:
1. Yes, assuming over std carrera
2. Depends on traffic density. If its a Gen 1, for a weekend car manual is preferable imo
3. Not really. That's why Felix @ Klein does his thing to so many turbos

But as I say, depends on your circs. Drive a few and see what you fancy. Personally, the 991 feels much bigger.

I have kinda recently went through a similar process. A couple of years ago I was enjoying my 997 Gen 2 C2S - but after only a year or so I had the opportunity to order a new 981 Spyder. Had the 981 Spyder for almost a year & have just changed to a 2008 997.1 turbo tip. The turbo is very quick; so much more torque than the 997.2 C2S & 981 Spyder. Answers to your question:
1) yes
2) probably not. I really like my turbo, but main criticism I have is the relic of a tip box. Its not the end of the world & I love the turbo enough to just about forgive that. A manual would be way better & you would need to blow all your budget & more on a decent one.
3) No. The 981 Spyder was so much better than the turbo. Mine is still under Porsche warranty but will consider changing the exhaust to a Europipe or similar. However, you will never make a turbo sound like a NA engine.

I also considered a 991 C2S; but thought over the 2-3 year period of ownership I would lose more cash than the turbo.

I know it's all subjective but I'd avoid the F360. One of the worst looking cars they ever produced IMHO. Sorry if anyone on here has one...

I think with your budget and as a weekend car to blast in , I would be going for a 997.1 turbo leave enough in the pot for a kline exhaust. job done :thumb:

Thanks Phil - manual?

stokie1 said:
gents - advice please

I have owned 2 gen 1 997's - a 2s and a 4s - loved both - a while ago now

I have been "without toy" for a little while but am now looking to buy

my question

also - I expect a slightly bias response but I am sure a few have gone through this process - I am also considering the following

991 c2s
F360
Vantage
R8
F type 5L

pros and cons - and what would you do - my porkers have been tin tops

This car will be a weekender

This forum was a mine of info when I was an owner and I hope someone can help me in my current dilemma

45-55 budget

Do the man maths lol and add 10k + and go gen 2 turbo PDK, unless you REALLY want a gen 1, but the prices between the two are now much closer and the gen 2 is lets face it the better car.. Think youll struggle with a really good gen 1 for 55k, which is madness but how it is.

stokie1 said:
my question

Over a Carrera = Absolutely.
You need to drive a Tip' to know if it suits you.
When pushing on they make a great noise but it's not the typical Porsche-6 engine sound. At Turbo speeds 'stealth mode' can be very useful. :D

For sub £50k there is no better bang for bucks 911 at the moment.

going for a turbo 997.1 manual or 997.2 pdk

so if anyone knows of a good one - please shout

thanks again for the thoughts guys

stokie1 said:
going for a turbo 997.1 manual or 997.2 pdk

so if anyone knows of a good one - please shout

thanks again for the thoughts guys

RPM Porsche have two 997.1 turbo manuals. Both look very nice.

I'll take this in two chunks:

1. would I notice a big difference with a 997 turbo? massive
2. would I like the tiptronic of the gen 1? unlikely but you might be so overwhelmed by the turbo that you won't care
3. does it make a great noise? Not at all. My 3.8 9972 with PSE/H&S sounds far better according to 100% of my colleagues but it is an easy fix in the aftermarket.

Chunk two - although you seem to be all over the map:

991 C2S: yes, 100% for a daily
F360: nope, unless you like living in Knightsbridge and collect ASBOs
Vantage: ask Phil about the bills
R8: maybe a manual 4.2 V8 would be cool
F type 5L: if you've heard one doing a fly by like a WW2 Spitfire from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, you'll really want this one. Lovely weekender.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back