Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DMF Failure Liability. Advice sought

pallyally

Purchased a Boxster S from my local Porsche dealer in 2012. After a couple of weeks I noticed a banging noise during engine braking. On investigation Porsche said they could find nothing so I took the Service Manager out for a test and he confirmed the banging. He suggested that it could be the Dual Mass Flywheel but, due to the magnitude of the work to investigate further he advised me to carry on driving until something else happened.

The problem continued but got no worse although I subsequently did not use engine braking as much.

The vehicle was under warranty until its last service late 2016. Shortly after this the clutch had to be replaced at 30,000 miles. I booked the car into a local independent shop and during the repair they informed me that the Dual Mass Flywheel was knackered and had to be replaced at a cost of £1000. Their opinion was that the DMF was likely also to have led to premature clutch wear.

Needless to say I went back to Porsche and pointed out that they had diagnosed a potential DMF failure in 2012 but failed to investigate it properly. (got the job sheet). I proposed that they are liable for the repair but of course they told me to clear off.

I am happy to pursue a claim by legal means. Just wondering if anyone can advise if I have a sustainable case ?

Thanks in anticipation.

I agree it's waaay to long since they looked at it, maybe if it had failed within a month or so, or at the time you said ok investigate it at my cost and if it's broken then they pickup the bill or flat out rejected the car (I assume here it was new)
Even if the car was in warantee being a wear and tear item would they have replaced it FOC (I'm not sure).

The dual mass units are not £1000 outside of the main dealer network, I would expect to pay around half that figure for it and the 3 piece clutch kit plus fitting.

I would consider yourself lucky that the knackered flywheel didn't break the crankshaft :eek:

I too think that it is too long to pursue the OPC (unless the car has barely been used in the time I suppose).

The footnote to the story though is that with benefit of hindsight you should have asked the question as to whether it was covered if it had failed (pretty sure that it would have been). In such a case then I'd have had them pull it - if you are wrong then you get the bill to know that it is okay but otherwise they fix it and the warranty pays for it.

I have actually been in that position before - I had a vibration problem with the differential which only manifested under track conditions which couldn't be legally reproduced driving on the road. Having ruled everything else that I thought it could be out, my OPC took it apart on the basis that if it was fine then I would be billed for the labour and if not then it was covered. There was a failure in there so the warranty dealt with it. (This was a long time ago as I haven't ran in warranty for years, but in general the factory warranty is a good product for such situations).

Couldn`t the DMF have been replaced with a single flywheel conversion I did this on a RAV 4 I once owned after the DMF tried to eat its way out of the Bell housing the RAV is still going strong several years later and drives perfectly.

Del.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkrt1972
Back