Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sympathetic restoration options?

Buntsc

Any suggestions for a company to do some sympathetic restoration on my 1996 Carrera 2. I have owned this car for nearly 10 years, it has a full, comprehensive and totally documented service history from new and during my ownership I have maintained it with a no expense spared agenda. It only gets limited summer use now and still looks and performs beautifully but It is 20 years old and has 92.000 miles on the clock so there are some signs of wear here and there and the paint (polar silver) would benefit from attention.
I could take it to the Independent who has serviced and looked after Porsche cars for me for over 30 years (and he is excellent) but he doesn't do full "in house" refurbs so I was hoping fellow 993 owners might share their experiences.
I have used Parr for an engine/gearbox rebuild on 1970 2.2 in the past (very happy with their work but it was 20 years ago!) and I heard some good things about DSD Motorwerks but I would like to talk to several companies before reaching a decision.
Any suggestions gratefully received. I live in West London but am prepared to take the car anywhere in the southern half of the country if necessary.

Unfortunately I can't help with who to suggest as I'm not too familiar with Bodyshops in the South, however I can offer my observations on a recent project which is probably very similar to what you are looking at doing.

I did a glass-out refurb on a friends 964 Jubilee recently. It was a very tidy car, 55k miles from new, garaged, very well looked after but as you say, simply showing a bit of age being 25 years old. Mostly stonechips, light scratches, and minor rust starting to bubble around the screens, tops of wings, wheelarches etc.

The biggest expense for the owner was buying all the necessary bits and pieces from Porsche. They all add up: Sunroof seals, window rubbers, screws, grommets, brackets, nuts, bolts. It's all those kind of things you need to buy when light refurb is undertaken. He also put one new front wing on at the time which was £1500 on its own! The wing had experienced a previous repair and had filler in it which we discovered when we took the sander to it.

I think he probably spent about £2500 just in parts. Although I have seen copies of invoices from 'well known' bodyshops where they have spent around £6000 just in 'bits and pieces' from Porsche while they were doing a refurb on a 993.

Just some stuff to think about!

It's worth doing though. My 993 is in a similar way. It has a stack of invoices 8" thick and very thorough history. Just had new clutch, engine out, loads of mechanical stuff done, but it's 21 years old and there are scratches and minor bits of rust here and there. I'm going to enjoy it for a couple of months now the weather is nicer and then just take the sander to it on a Friday night after work and just go mad over a weekend, then hopefully paint it the weekend after. Glass out and put new window rubber and suchlike in it.

The 964 came out nice by the way. Went on to win 1st place in concours at Silverstone.

OP, I'm sure many on here will attest to the attention to detail and professionalism to the work that Precision Porsche do.

Hi Buntsc,

As an alternative you could consider having your car detailed?
Most original parts can be kept and made to look so much better and if your bodywork is sound a paint correction (machine polish) would be easier and much more cost effective than a re-spray. Done properly the car could look like new again.

For some idea of what can be done have a look at my 1994 104k Polar Silver 993. It is on my website http://www.spiderve.com/completed-works.html#car

I am a detailer myself but you could easily use someone closer.

All the best.
Bruce

BruceyBonus61 said:
Hi Buntsc,

As an alternative you could consider having your car detailed?
Most original parts can be kept and made to look so much better and if your bodywork is sound a paint correction (machine polish) would be easier and much more cost effective than a re-spray. Done properly the car could look like new again.

For some idea of what can be done have a look at my 1994 104k Polar Silver 993. It is on my website http://www.spiderve.com/completed-works.html#car

I am a detailer myself but you could easily use someone closer.

All the best.
Bruce

Impact and Precison are superb. Top notch with top notch prices to boot.

Bruce is also an excellent detailer. He's done some work on my 993 and looks super. Recommend!

NinjaPower said:
I did a glass-out refurb on a friends 964 Jubilee recently. It was a very tidy car, 55k miles from new, garaged, very well looked after but as you say, simply showing a bit of age being 25 years old. Mostly stonechips, light scratches, and minor rust starting to bubble around the screens, tops of wings, wheelarches etc.

:hand: And it just goes to show low mileage garaged cars still need work due to age. 25yr old paint is 25yr old paint that wont necessarily revive :what:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back